Not Engaged Yet

I hate layoffs.

blabla89blabla89 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited August 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
I hate layoffs so much.

Last week the company I work for went through its third round of layoffs since March. I wasn't affected but I'm constantly worried about when the hammer's going to drop, and so are all my coworkers. Four people I worked closely with are gone, and the office is so different without them. When my managers told us about the layoffs last week, they told us that no one in our department was affected, but yesterday another lady in my department was laid off upon returning from vacation. And I understand why they couldn't tell us last week, but I'm just tired of being lied to. At our company wide meeting yesterday the executive team swore up and down that there will not be any more downsizing this year, but nobody believes that. FI keeps telling me I need to jump ship but most of the other agencies in the city are doing layoffs, too, so it feels pretty hopeless.

Okay, I'm done venting now.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I hate layoffs.

• I'm very sorry for your situation. We have had them twice in the ten years at my work and it really makes you evaluate everything about where you're going with your career and in life. I hope they are right and they are done with layoffs where you work. I know it's "just business", but it's peoples' lives too!
  • *hugs* That really sucks! I feel like I would be so much more on edge about the lay-offs if I was always being lied to. I'm not sure what they think they are accomplishing by lying.

• I don't think it would hurt to put some feelers out and apply at some places, just in case.. 

I'm sorry you're experiencing such an anxiety filled work experience! 
  • @blabla89, having been in this situation just this past week and with it still going on, I would be ready to just have your resume polished and ready and be on the lookout for jobs in case you do need to jump ship. Corporate/executives lie all the time and they don't really care about the human lives they're affecting.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm so sorry blabla! If it helps, I know of a company hiring soon in the Atlanta area. I'd love to PM you their information. Maybe it's something you might be interested in as a backup position or job change?

• @blabla89 that sucks. I used to work at a company very similar. They would continuously say they were all done with lay-offs and then lay-off ten more people. The corporate world is so harsh that way. *hugs* I don't think it would hurt to get feelers out there. 

friends tv show funy
  • Thanks y'all. Honestly I am super happy and thankful to have my job, but it makes me so upset to see it happening to people I care about. I've been looking on and off for the last two years, so I'm going to dust off the resume and get back to it.

@blackbird230 I'm sorry you're going through this, too.

@LaPeanut1018 thanks girl! I'll PM you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In the spirit of Office Space, I recommend hypnosis. Hell, you may even get promoted!

But truly, this is why an "Oh Shit" fund is nice/necessary. So you don't have the stress of money if you get laid off. I went for job security over money. I could me making way more, but I'm pretty sure I'll never be fired. There is such a peace in finding something like that. I hope you find something more stable. No one deserves to go to work each day wondering if they'll leave with a job. It's not fair, and it seems unethical.

• @blabla89, ugh. I hope your world stabilizes soon, but dusting off your resume is a good idea.
  • *hugs* I'm sorry you're going through such a stressful situation. I wish corporations would realize that handling layoffs in such a shady manner does not promote a healthy and happy workplace... I would definitely polish up your resume and put some feelers out there. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • New here...I have been through this with the last company I worked for (that I was laid off from 3.5 years ago), and this current company. It is so hard to deal with the game of "Am I next or not" and seeing or hearing of layoffs in other departments. We recently had layoffs in my department and this is the first time we had been hit in the 2 and a half years I have been with them. I definitely recommend getting your resume ready as well. I am also in limbo and looking around. I feel fairly safe, but you just never know.

I also agree with the poster above who said something about going with job stability over money. That's why I haven't applied for another internal positions...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards