Just Engaged and Proposals

Just engaged AND we haven't told anyone yet...

So, we have been enjoying our engagement in the mountains of Idaho. It was absolutely perfect and private just for us. Well, his parents know because he's been planning for quite some time. The one thing is, we did not have the traditional, ask her father moment. I have not been incredibly close to my dad my entire life and did not choose that it be a requirement for my fiance to ask permission. Any ideas on how to announce our engagement? Concerns? Anything I should think about? Thank you in advance!

Re: Just engaged AND we haven't told anyone yet...

• "Hi Mom and Dad. Guess what! I'm engaged!!" That's what I said.
  • Do you live near your parents?  If so, ask them out to dinner and once you sit down say "We're engaged!"  If you don't live near them then call them up and say "I have some great news!  I am engaged!"

This really isn't that hard.  Unless of course your parents hate your FI and have said they will disown you if you marry him.  Then you may want to be concerned.

• Yeah I just called my parents and told them I was engaged. 

I don't think you need to make a big production out of this. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • We got engaged while we were on vacation in Europe. FI didn't ask my dad before we left. So, we called my parents, FI asked to talk to my dad and said, "I'd like to ask your daughter to marry me." When my dad said yes, FI said, "Well, you might want to tell her congrats because we just got engaged!" And them much screaming and crying commenced. 
  • Congratulations! I called my mom to tell her, texted my cousins and close friends. We visited his family to tell them in person. Also just texted his close friends. After our nearest and dearest were told, we did the fb announcement to the rest of the world lol.
  • I Facetimed my parents and told them "So Armen got me an awesome Christmas present..." and showed them my hand.
  • I think you're overthinking this. Just call them and tell them.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Asking the father is not done much anymore, particularly dependent on relationships. I called my dad and told him, and then my grandparents. I got to tell no one else, because the bum had told LITERALLY EVERY OTHER PERSON I KNEW. :P

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • My mom called me right after my fiance proposed. I was like "MOM! I'm trying to enjoy the moment here! He just proposed!" And she was all excited and then said "OH SORRY! call me back and tell me all about it!". So, after like... 5 more minutes I called them back and we chit chatted and she demanded some pictures. And I talked to my dad and he was all "congratulations" / choked up. So, just give them a call. Easy peasy. 
  • ps- I talked about the whole asking permission thing with my parents. They would have been insulted on my behalf if my fiance had asked for their permission/ blessing... and would have thought less of him. Like PP have said, other than on the Bachelor, I think it's getting more and more rare for that to occur. 
  • My fiance didn't ask my dad, He knew that he would be happy for us anyway so he went ahead and did it. My dad was over the moon when he found out honestly, but we waited a little bit to tell people we told my mom and dad about 2 days after, and his parents we told in May we got engaged at the end of April.  

"Four years ago, I was just a guy who had a crush on a girl, who had a boyfriend. And I had to do the hardest thing that I've ever had to do"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards