Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Social Media and Weddings

QUESTION:  What are your thoughts on wedding guests posting photos of your big day on social media?

I have noticed a trend lately that guests seem to post updates and document every second of the day as it is going on.  While, on the one hand, this is kind of nice to have different POVs, on the other hand it seems a little overexposed and intrusive to share what should be an intimate celebration with strangers online. 

What about guests who cannot attend the wedding?  Do you want to be the ones to share your own wedding photos (might I mention, expensive, professional photos which are flattering) and moments with them yourselves, or is this NBD to you if they see all of this through some guest's social media account?

I never really gave this a second thought until recently so just wondering if this is something else other brides are thinking about as their day approaches.

Re: Social Media and Weddings

• Options
    fdjlka said:

QUESTION:  What are your thoughts on wedding guests posting photos of your big day on social media?

I have noticed a trend lately that guests seem to post updates and document every second of the day as it is going on.  While, on the one hand, this is kind of nice to have different POVs, on the other hand it seems a little overexposed and intrusive to share what should be an intimate celebration with strangers online. 

What about guests who cannot attend the wedding?  Do you want to be the ones to share your own wedding photos (might I mention, expensive, professional photos which are flattering) and moments with them yourselves, or is this NBD to you if they see all of this through some guest's social media account?

I never really gave this a second thought until recently so just wondering if this is something else other brides are thinking about as their day approaches.

I didn't think about this at all.  One of my friends actually snapped a great pic of me walking down the aisle, which I used as my FB profile pic while waiting for the professional pics to return.
  • Options
    Meh...people are going to do what they want. I actually look forward to being able to look at pics from the wedding while I am on my mini-moon.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I loved seeing all the pictures of my wedding while I waited on the pro pics. Just set your privacy settings to where you have to approve any tagged pictures of you and enjoy seeing the pictures.

*Formerly ctexasgurl26 and mrsridings061513*

imageimageimage

Anniversary
    Baby William born June 11, 2014 Weighing 6 lbs 5 oz and 17.5 inches long

• Options
    It does bother me. People put so much on social media. I don't like it at all, but there is just nothing I can do.

• Options
    Truthfully, it rubs me the wrong way when people post the pictures DURING the event.
    Afterwards is fine, IMO, though. It's no different than before social media when we had photo books on display lol.
  • Options
    I'm glad my friends/family posted photos. I didn't want to have to wait for my photographer to go through everything and post them to me. Facebook photos gave me photos the next day, which made me super happy.

• Options
    I understand those pictures being posted feels off-putting to some, but personally, I loved seeing our pictures up there, since we're still waiting on our pro pics.  It's also nice to see a few pictures of old friends' weddings and say congrats, even if we haven't stayed close enough to be invited.  I love seeing how gorgeous and happy everyone looks in wedding photos:)
  • Options
    fdjlka said:

Actually those photos snapped by friends and family look just as good (if not better in some cases) as my expensive, professional photos that really weren't all that great.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is not something that bothers me at all. I look forward to seeing pictures my guests have taken. They can share whatever they like on social media. 
  • Options
    Since my wedding day, I have been looking at the dozen or so photos my friends posted to social media OVER AND OVER. I was so happy to have that instant gratification. Plus, some of them are really great.

Also, some of our family/friends were unable to attend for a variety of reasons (money, illnesses) and they were commenting all day on photos.

• Options
    I really didn't care.  I loved being able to get on FB the next day and seeing tons of pictures that my friends took.  I love my professional ones but there are many that my friends took that I love just as much if not more.

I also had a good laugh that a handful of my friends actually made a full on album for the pictures they took rather then just uploading them and the pictures falling under "Photos of You."

• Options
    For weddings of aquaintances that I know couldn't invite me.. I love seeing them.  

We have a lot of aquaintances from some organizations we are in and have been very active in that we couldn't possibly invite so I'm ok with people posting pictures so the others can be part of the day remotely.  I anticipate it will be fun to see the next day (I will not be checking that day as I will be disconnected and enjoying the wedding :) )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't mind IF they are posted once the wedding is over. I feel like seeing my guests hovering over their phones to post pics and see who has commented on them, etc. would upset me when I want everyone to be having fun and enjoying the actual party. But once it's done - I'd like to be able to see pictures while I wait for my professional ones to be ready.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    It does bother me. People put so much on social media. I don't like it at all, but there is just nothing I can do.
    I don't know how it works with instagram, but I do know on Facebook you can change your settings so any posts that are posted on your wall or that you are tagged in must be approved first before the "public" can see them.  This obviously doesn't work if they just post it on their own wall, but it might slow at least some of the social media traffic.

• Options
    I don't know how it works with instagram, but I do know on Facebook you can change your settings so any posts that are posted on your wall or that you are tagged in must be approved first before the "public" can see them.  This obviously doesn't work if they just post it on their own wall, but it might slow at least some of the social media traffic.
    That's only your public. I've been tagged in pictures that I didn't approve but they are still on that person's page, they just don't show up on mine.  So if you have a lot of mutual friends they will still get seen.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Question though: is there a polite way at the ceremony to request that guests not post their own pictures online? Or - as I would actually use, to ask that they refrain from posting until the next day?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    StitelME said:
    Question though: is there a polite way at the ceremony to request that guests not post their own pictures online? Or - as I would actually use, to ask that they refrain from posting until the next day?
    I am not sure but even if you ask it doesn't mean that people will listen so in this day and age you just have to accept that pictures will most likely be posted to social media.

I will say that if any pictures of you are posted and you don't want pictures of yourself up on the internet then you can politely ask the person who posted the picture of you to take it down.  But you can't control pictures of themselves at your wedding or pictures of others at your wedding.

• Options
    I'm sitting around waiting for professional pics to come back (and had a friend post on my wall today about wanting to see pro pics). My profile picture is a great little snapshot a guest caught of me and H goofing off, and I am in love with it. So happy to have random pictures from the day. I loved seeing pictures of our guests hanging out with each other too; it's fun to see people having fun at our party.
  • Options
    StitelME said:
    Not really, and I really doubt you will care. What's your reasoning? 

I loved waking up the next morning and seeing all the pictures that had already been posted. Just change your settings so that tags have to be approved to show up on your wall. 
  • Options
    PDKH said:
    StitelME said:

I loved waking up the next morning and seeing all the pictures that had already been posted. Just change your settings so that tags have to be approved to show up on your wall. 
    OH - I don't have an issue with them taking their own pictures and posting them. In an ideal world I'd rather they wait to post any they've taken until after the wedding. This is not so much a "i only want to post my own photos" thing as much as i just want them to not be glued to their phones checking facebook all night so they can enjoy the party. (And i do have family members who take a pic and then track its likes and comments for hours). But i'm able to deal with it if there's not a police way of requesting this.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    mysticl said:

That's only your public. I've been tagged in pictures that I didn't approve but they are still on that person's page, they just don't show up on mine.  So if you have a lot of mutual friends they will still get seen.  

Ugh this. I had an acquaintance friend who decided she wanted to be a professional photographer someday. She always took the worst, most atrocious candid pictures of us and kept posting them onto Facebook. I untagged myself from them, but they are still there on FB. A shitload of people have seen them, including people from high school, old crushes and ex friends. It was fairly embarrassing.
  • Options
    StitelME said:
    PDKH said:
    StitelME said:

OH - I don't have an issue with them taking their own pictures and posting them. In an ideal world I'd rather they wait to post any they've taken until after the wedding. This is not so much a "i only want to post my own photos" thing as much as i just want them to not be glued to their phones checking facebook all night so they can enjoy the party. (And i do have family members who take a pic and then track its likes and comments for hours). But i'm able to deal with it if there's not a police way of requesting this.
    Yeah, you're like almost a week out right? 

Stop worrying about this crap. You can't control it anyway. There were a shit ton of pictures of our wedding going up and I posed for tons of them. Our dance floor was still packed and the booze was still flowing. 

People know how to snap and post pictures quickly and still have a good time. Girl, go relax and get ready to get married. This wont matter. 
  • Options
    indianaalumindianaalum member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    I LOVED IT. 

a) It shows how much my wedding meant to them to even take pictures

b) Some of my fave pics from that day came from my family/friends.

I say embrace it. It will be weeks (if not months) before you see pro pics. These might very well be theo only pics you see for ages as you will be too busy to take your own pics that day. Also, keep in mind, your photographer can't be in 2 places at once. Soemtimes guests get the pics that the photographer misses.

People need to stop being so sensitive about it. Your friends love you, and they want to take pics.

• Options
    StitelME said:
    PDKH said:
    StitelME said:
    PDKH said:
    StitelME said:

Stop worrying about this crap. You can't control it anyway. There were a shit ton of pictures of our wedding going up and I posed for tons of them. Our dance floor was still packed and the booze was still flowing. 

People know how to snap and post pictures quickly and still have a good time. Girl, go relax and get ready to get married. This wont matter

SITB:

You make a very good point. I think I'm just hitting my "overthink" and stress stage with only 9 days left so I'm looking for excuses to freak out. When I get off work, I'll just go home and drink some beer and watch football and not think about it for a night. Hopefully that helps.
    I am doing the same thing tonight!  Thank god football is back!

• Options
    StitelME said:
    PDKH said:
    StitelME said:
    PDKH said:
    StitelME said:

People know how to snap and post pictures quickly and still have a good time. Girl, go relax and get ready to get married. This wont matter

SITB:

You make a very good point. I think I'm just hitting my "overthink" and stress stage with only 9 days left so I'm looking for excuses to freak out. When I get off work, I'll just go home and drink some beer and watch football and not think about it for a night. Hopefully that helps.
    I am doing the same thing tonight!  Thank god football is back!
    I KNOW RIGHT??? I have been missing it soo bad! The withdrawal is probably why i was crazy enough to agree to be in three separate fantasy leagues, a college pick-em and an nfl pick-em. :-P

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Doesn't bother me at all. My fiancé and I first knew each other through twitter and have lots of friends we met through there. I have my facebook settings set so I have to approve photos so not worried about that. We have a hashtag we want people to use and have already started using it ourselves.

• Options
    Hey @Laurie, I encourage you to change your user name to something that isn't your firstname+lastname.
  • Options
    @sarahbear31 - i just have to say that your sig is the most adorable thing ever.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards