Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Ice Cream Bar

Hi y'all!  We are considering having an ice cream bar at our wedding reception; however, I am struggling to figure out exactly how this might work.  Does this replace the wedding cake?  Would we get a small cake to still do the ceremonial cake cutting?  Do we still get a full wedding cake?  Is there an alternative that was successful for someone else?  

A little background: We are in the south and have a great local homemade ice cream shop that has offered to set up for a very reasonable price at our wedding reception.  They dress in tuxes (or whatever level of formal attire we request) and have an upscale set up that they will do for us.  I think this would be a neat option for our guests since most will be traveling from out of town and this would offer them a special local treat.  

Any insight you can offer would be appreciated.  Thanks!!! 

Re: Ice Cream Bar

• Options
    Hi y'all!  We are considering having an ice cream bar at our wedding reception; however, I am struggling to figure out exactly how this might work.  Does this replace the wedding cake?  Would we get a small cake to still do the ceremonial cake cutting?  Do we still get a full wedding cake?  Is there an alternative that was successful for someone else?  

A little background: We are in the south and have a great local homemade ice cream shop that has offered to set up for a very reasonable price at our wedding reception.  They dress in tuxes (or whatever level of formal attire we request) and have an upscale set up that they will do for us.  I think this would be a neat option for our guests since most will be traveling from out of town and this would offer them a special local treat.  

Any insight you can offer would be appreciated.  Thanks!!! 
    As long as you have enough of whatever to feed your guests, I think you can almost do anything in this regard.  I personally love cake and ice cream, so I'd be psyched by the idea of them both!

Just be mindful that there might be some lactose intolerant guests, so having ice cream alone might not be the best idea.  If your budget allows for both, I would do both.
  • Options
    Thank you!  Very good points!  I was leaning towards having both, but I haven't been to one with an ice cream bar and all my research refers to it as an alternative.  I have a beautiful cake design in mind anyway so that would work!  :)
  • Options
    I would be all about an ice cream bar.

What if you also offered pie and could do it a la mode? I would be all over that.
  • Options
    Don't forget that you could also just do some sheet cakes with a small design cake if cost is a concern. 

But big fat yes to cake and ice cream!
  • Options
    I also vote for cake and ice-cream. Just one note, if you decided not to do cake for everyone, don't do cake at all. If people see the couple eating cake they are going to wonder where their's is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    I also vote for cake and ice-cream. Just one note, if you decided not to do cake for everyone, don't do cake at all. If people see the couple eating cake they are going to wonder where their's is.
    word.  Your wedding will be all
  • Options
    I had an ice cream bar and cheesecakes (cupcake favors, just to make @addiecake happy). If it's in your budget, I would definitely do both.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I vote both! Yum! 

I would say if you don't have a cake, don't do any sort of cake cutting (I would be sad there wans't enough for me!)... make each other a cone or something. 
  • Options
    We had a s'mores bar, but we had a cake, too. Both were a hit. I recommend always having cake, even if you have another option.
    Wheaton's Law: Don't be a dick.
  • Options
    I vote that I be invited.......

Ok fine. I vote both cake and ice cream.
  • Options
    Why is this even a question?
  • Options

To answer your question, the OP wasn't sure whether what she wanted to do made sense, and wanted to know what others thought.

To ask you one: Why is anything here a question?  Answer: Exactly the same reason.  The OP isn't sure whether what s/he wants to do makes sense, and wants to know what others think.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your awesome input. It's set: We will be doing both a full cake and ice cream bar for sure. This board provides much better advice than other sites and searches I conducted.
  • Options
    I've always seen both too-just a word of advice-spread the word that there will be an ice cream bar. At some weddings people have filled up on cake and then are sad when they see ice cream!

Also it does get really messy, if you have sprinkles, hot fudge, etc. It's a lot cleaner if the servers add toppings, or if the sauces are in squirt bottles. The bowls of hot fudge and caramel get so so nasty!
  • Options
  • Options

I vote for both ice cream and cake!

Anniversary

• Options
    afox007 said:

To answer your question, the OP wasn't sure whether what she wanted to do made sense, and wanted to know what others thought.

To ask you one: Why is anything here a question?  Answer: Exactly the same reason.  The OP isn't sure whether what s/he wants to do makes sense, and wants to know what others think.
    I don't think she was being snarky about why the OP asked, I think she meant there should never be any question as to whether you can do both. It would be like asking should I drink wine? The answer is always yes!
    The wording was ambiguous and did allow for a snarky interpretation. If what she meant is what you think she meant, different, clearer wording would have gotten that across better.
  • Options
  • Options
    PDKH said:

Jen4948 said:
    afox007 said:

I don't think she was being snarky about why the OP asked, I think she meant there should never be any question as to whether you can do both. It would be like asking should I drink wine? The answer is always yes!
    The wording was ambiguous and did allow for a snarky interpretation. If what she meant is what you think she meant, different, clearer wording would have gotten that across better.
    Oh come on. She didn't post it on an OP's post asking if she should have chairs or make everyone sit on a manure-filled pasture. 

The OP was asking about two things most consider to be good, happy things. Social cues would indicate that NYCMercedes would be making a lighthearted tongue-in-cheek comment which suggests these are both good things and can of course go together. 
    "Oh come on" yourself.  I'm sorry, but without context, it is not obvious what anyone means by what might otherwise sound like a snarky response, especially a short, rather curt response.
  • Options
    sophhabobophasophhabobopha member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    Jen4948 said:
    PDKH said:

Jen4948 said:
    afox007 said:

Oh come on. She didn't post it on an OP's post asking if she should have chairs or make everyone sit on a manure-filled pasture. 

The OP was asking about two things most consider to be good, happy things. Social cues would indicate that NYCMercedes would be making a lighthearted tongue-in-cheek comment which suggests these are both good things and can of course go together. 
    "Oh come on" yourself.  I'm sorry, but without context, it is not obvious what anyone means by what might otherwise sound like a snarky response, especially a short, rather curt response.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    PDKH said:

Jen4948 said:
    afox007 said:

Reading way too much into something, party of one!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards