Wedding Etiquette Forum

NER: What the heck do I do?

Re: NER: What the heck do I do?

• Wait a minute did OP actually confirm that she only spent one week with this "FI" in person?
    Yes.

SITB:

Did you bring your child to the US to meet this guy during your week or did you just come by yourself?

• MNVegas said:

MNVegas said:

Wait a minute did OP actually confirm that she only spent one week with this "FI" in person?

Yes.

SITB:

Did you bring your child to the US to meet this guy during your week or did you just come by yourself?

OMG myself. I know y'all think I'm a crazy mother with no concern for her child's well being, safety or security but please give me a little credit.

Due to the nature of work my ex and I are in, our son meets new people every day, however...
    Just no.
  • Mother of lamb chops. You've only been together in person a WEEK? I now second whoever said, in all seriousness, that you need professional therapy. There is no way you should be thinking about uprooting your kid, moving across the world and marrying a guy you met on the internet and have spend a grand total of one week with.

STUCK IN BOX

But we don't know how they met! I'm still waiting to hear back from OP about many of the questions that we have asked. 

And OP-- we are not assuming you are a terrible mother. I think a terrible mother would uproot her child without questioning that. I think it's great you've asked for advice, I just hope you take it. But the advice we've offerred, as you've noted, is only based on limited information. More context would help. 
  • NVM. I just read the weddingbee post. Online meet up status confirmed. The fact that you didn't meet on a dating site seems even fishier to me... I don't know why.
  • lilacck28 said:

MNVegas said:

Wait a minute did OP actually confirm that she only spent one week with this "FI" in person?

Yes.

?????? 

More context please. I'm so confused. What is the relationship timeline you have discussed? And how did you meet? And how do you stay in contact? And what were the circumstances of breaking up with your son's father? 

I'm not understanding the first question, I'm sorry, so Ima take a stab at that one, and assume you mean when are FI and I talking of this actually taking place.
    If that's the case... We're looking at maybe 18 months before I move out there, and a year or so after that, getting married.

We met online. On a game app.

We use a chat app to message throughout the day, and FaceTime every night.

My ex and I were together just under eight years. About five years ago, something changed. I never did know what, but he became a different person over the space of about a week. It was like he got some monumental bad news or something that shook him to his core, but try as I might, I never knew what, or if that even happened.
    Things kinda went bad from there. We had odd glimmering moments of happy, but that was the start of the end.
    I found out I was pregnant. A surprise, since I had been on the injection for about two years.
    Against the odds, that brought us together.
    About a year ago, the strain started to come back.
    About three months after that, I commented to him about how much DS had changed, and seemed really miserable and confused and acting-up-y over the last week. He said he'd noticed it too, and that led to how no matter what we hid from DS, he could still sense the atmosphere, and that for his happiness, we were better removing that atmosphere than trying to fight on as a unit on false unity. So we split. DS is now his happy smiley self, and we know we made the right choice.
    We now have the odd occasion where one of us will meet the other from work, we'll walk DS home through the park and spend half hour with him as a family. He'll then drop either me alone or me and DS back to mine, depending on which day it is, and go home himself.
  • Yep...I still think this is total MUD. You go to numerous wedding boards, post the same scenario yet leave out very important details here, then you post it on one of the boards known to have drama? And then you won't answer questions. MUD MUD MUD!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Wait a minute did OP actually confirm that she only spent one week with this "FI" in person?
    Yes.

SITB:

OMG myself. I know y'all think I'm a crazy mother with no concern for her child's well being, safety or security but please give me a little credit. Due to the nature of work my ex and I are in, our son meets new people every day, however... Just no.
    The point is that your son has never met this man and this man has never met your son.  You were absolutely right to not take your son with you on this trip.  However, you have no idea how they will get along.  Did you meet his daughters?  Do you actually have any idea how he interacts with children?  

My parents split up when I was almost 12.  My mom started dating a man when I was about 12/13.  She did not marry him until I was almost 19 and out of the house.  And he lived in the same school district as us.  But she did not change my life any more than it had already been changed.  

Life is not a Beetles song.  Love is not all you need.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OP, trust me when I say I am NOT trying to be mean to you. I was a single mom during most of my son's childhood so I know how lonely it is and how hard it is. My son's father was not even in his life. I know what it is like to work long hours and not have much free time or money. I worked two and three jobs to keep a roof over our head and food on the table. I know what it is like to have a relationship fall apart and find yourself alone raising a child. Trust me I can empathize with you.

One thing I made damn sure of was that my son was my #1 priority. When I dated someone when my son was young I made sure I knew them very well before I introduced them to my son. A one week fling would not have been considered knowing someone very well. Yes you can fall in love with someone after a short time but you cannot get to know someone in just one week of vacation time. 

I met my DH online so I have no issue with that but I met many men online before DH and I cannot tell you how many of them were phony and complete liars. You spent one week with this man. Trust me you do not know him at all.

For both your own sake and especially your son's sake, think long and hard before make a decision. At this point you really have no idea of what is awaiting you. Do you really want to put your son in that kind of situation?

• I'm catching up to questions as quick as I can guys, I'm sorry... I know there's a lot more unfolding and a lot of stuff I've missed from being in work, I can only navigate so fast and type so quick. As I said before, it's in my best interests to be open about all this, I'm trying, I am here.
  • edited August 2014
    OMG myself. I know y'all think I'm a crazy mother with no concern for her child's well being, safety or security but please give me a little credit. Due to the nature of work my ex and I are in, our son meets new people every day, however... Just no.

STIB:
    So you're considering uprooting your child and moving him to another country away from his father to live with a man that he has never even met before? That's insane. I understand you are in love, but your son's father is going to end up with full custody of your son if you try to enact this insane plan and I think he would deserve to have it. 
    This. All of it. 

If I'm the father of this kid, there's no way on God's green earth I'm sending my son to another country for 6 months out of the year to live with you and your anonymous internet boyfriend of 4 months (not mean, but that's how I'd look at it). I'd make you fight me in court. If you take this to court, I'm guessing the judge will probably see you as acting crazypants for wanting to uproot your son's life so you could go live with some internet guy who you only met in person for 7 days. 

I would stop spending your interwebz time asking questions like this on wedding forums and start spending some time looking into local lawyers and counselors. I would set up an appointment with a counselor to serve as a professional, objective 3rd party. And if you go through with this, you're going to need a good lawyer.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm catching up to questions as quick as I can guys, I'm sorry... I know there's a lot more unfolding and a lot of stuff I've missed from being in work, I can only navigate so fast and type so quick. As I said before, it's in my best interests to be open about all this, I'm trying, I am here.
    Instead of typing this response for about the 2nd or 3rd time, why don't you just type the answers to the questions? @PrettyGirlLost put them in a nice list for you.
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    by relationship timeline I meant, when have you talked about getting married? and move to the US to be with him? Do you plan to get engaged after dating for a year, and then plan a wedding? Or are you planning a wedding right now to happen in a few months?

You said 18 months... so, continue as you are for a year and a half, and by then move to the US and start planning the wedding for the next year? Okay. I think it makes more sense to continue as you are for a year and half, and THEN think about possibly moving to the US. 

Does your US guy know that he may need to help raise a toddler? And do you plan to help raise his daughters? What do your exes think? 

I'm mostly wondering what you guys have actually discussed besides "AHHH LOVE!" 

And, not to put a damper on all this but... how do you really know this guy is not an abusive asshole? I mean, he wants to isolate you buy having you move to the US. Or what if he is a child abuser? Or, perhaps more likely than these two exapmples (which I ABSOLUTELY think you need to consider, as nice and great as that week was, since you have a child), what if he is just not a good person around kids, or your parenting styles don't click? 
  • If there's a way to prove this is not MUD, I'm okay with that. It's very real, I'm genuinely here to hear what y'all have to say.

As hard as it is to read what people are saying about how this can't work etc, as bad as it is knowing people out there think my son is not my number one priority, the only thing that is annoying me is the MUD calls, because I'm genuinely here for advice, and that is all.
  • If there's a way to prove this is not MUD, I'm okay with that. It's very real, I'm genuinely here to hear what y'all have to say. As hard as it is to read what people are saying about how this can't work etc, as bad as it is knowing people out there think my son is not my number one priority, the only thing that is annoying me is the MUD calls, because I'm genuinely here for advice, and that is all.
    I'm entitled to think (and post) what I think of this post. You can't censor your responses.
  • Okay, you keep saying "I'm real! I'm real!" And "I don't have time to answer all the questions." But you have the time to repeat the above several times. PGL put them in a nice list. The fact that you're repeating the same things and not answering questions is what makes people jump to mud.
  • Yep...I still think this is total MUD. You go to numerous wedding boards, post the same scenario yet leave out very important details here, then you post it on one of the boards known to have drama? And then you won't answer questions. MUD MUD MUD!
    In her defense, it looks like she posted on Wedding Bee (and the update about not being pregnant) before she even made the initial post on TK, which could be why it was never mentioned here.

• If there's a way to prove this is not MUD, I'm okay with that. It's very real, I'm genuinely here to hear what y'all have to say.

As hard as it is to read what people are saying about how this can't work etc, as bad as it is knowing people out there think my son is not my number one priority, the only thing that is annoying me is the MUD calls, because I'm genuinely here for advice, and that is all.

The advice is, pretty much unanimously, don't do this. Break up with this guy. Plan on never seeing him again. Spend time just you taking care of your son. Date people who live near you. Personally, I can't think of a single other fact you could give me that would make me think anything other than get over this guy and grow up.
  • Okay, you keep saying "I'm real! I'm real!" And "I don't have time to answer all the questions." But you have the time to repeat the above several times. PGL put them in a nice list. The fact that you're repeating the same things and not answering questions is what makes people jump to mud.
    This 100%. Thank you @misshart00. You are far more articulate than I am today.
  • If this isn't MUD, post a screen shot of your plane itinerary from coming back from the US. Blur out any private info or whatever you need to, but post a screen shot that shows the dates and locations of your flights. I'm sure you still have a record of it in your email or something. 

British people don't say y'all, as far as I know. 

Which means my advice has changed....Follow your heart! Take your son to AMERICA - the land of opportunity! It's the best thing for everyone. Obviously you are the better parent - not your ex.
    *********************************************************************************

I'm entitled to think (and post) what I think of this post. You can't censor your responses.

Absolutely you are, and I accept that.

Censor my responses...?

Like, I can't tell you what to post? Also correct. All I'm saying is if there is a way to prove otherwise, I'll do so. Such as can I post a picture on the mobile version of the site of my plane ticket? A screenshot of a bit of our conversation?

I'm going to prettygirllost's post now so it'll take me a while to respond to those questions.

I was replying to another post when she posted hers.
    In her defense, it looks like she posted on Wedding Bee (and the update about not being pregnant) before she even made the initial post on TK, which could be why it was never mentioned here.
    Yes but that would have all been useful information. Like that she met him online, saw him for a week, had a pregnancy scare. All of that is relevent, not just the preggo part.

British people don't say y'all, as far as I know. 

Which means my advice has changed....Follow your heart! Take your son to AMERICA - the land of opportunity! It's the best thing for everyone. Obviously you are the better parent - not your ex.
    Ha! I noticed that earlier and completely forgot about it! This has been both entertaining and disturbing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards