Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Tips for hairstyles with stubborn hair that doesn't curl

My hair is exceptionally stubborn and doesn't hold a curl.  Also, we're getting married in the Midwest in June with lots of humidity - the wedding and reception are both indoors, but will have to travel between locations so the humidity will get to my hair. We also wanted to do some photos outside.  Many friends (non-professionals) have tried to curl my hair in the past under these conditions and all attempts have resulted in resorting to an updo. 

Problem is, I hate the look of my hair in an updo.  I've done it multiple times, in multiple styles, and often I like it in the mirror, but as soon as I see a picture I regret having my hair that way and don't like it.  

I'm growing my hair out long for the wedding - it's already nearly to my elbow and I have plenty of time till the wedding so it'll get very long.  It's naturally very thick and stick straight.  Any tips on hairstyles that don't involve an updo? Can professional hairstylists do anything to combat the humidity? I'm hoping I can have my hair look the way I want it for my wedding day, but want to be realistic.  Don't want to have the hairstylist curl it and then it goes flat immediately and I have to figure out something to do with it last minute.  

I also am unable to do a hair trial.  I live in nevada and the wedding is in Wisconsin.  Doing a trial here in NV will do no good because there's no humidity, and I won't be back in WI except for christmas time when the humidity will be replaced with a ton of snow, so no point doing it then either.  So I can really only do one right before the wedding itself, and I'd rather have a plan before then.  

Re: Tips for hairstyles with stubborn hair that doesn't curl

• Options
    Well instead of trying to get your hair to do something that it won't, like holding a curl.  You should embrace your straight hair.

What about this?  You can add a pretty hair comb.

Or, what about just have a very slick look by having your hair parted to one side and then accenting that one side with a hair piece?

As for the humidity, you should talk to the hairstylist about your concern.  I am sure they can use a product that will keep your hair from getting frizzy and such on the wedding day.

Finally, how far in advance are you getting into town for your wedding?  If you are getting there a few days before I would try and schedule a trial and then see how your hair holds up in the humidity.  That way you can make some changes if you need to.

• Options
    Going with what PP suggested, below are some more pictures:
  • Options
    I have the opposite problem in that my normally pretty straight hair gets wavy and frizzy in the humidity, so even though I like my hair down, I have decided to do an updo for the wedding.  Would it look good to you if you had it professionally blown out/flat ironed with a shine product to keep it smooth and glossy?  Then you could do a half-pulled-back type of style like the first one Maggie 0829 posted.
  • Options
    GApeachesGApeaches member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2014

Make sure you talk with your selected stylist before the day of the wedding to explain how your hair is and ask him/her what types of products he/she can plan on using to combat your hair worries :)  I love this hairstyle, maybe it'd work for your hair...

• Options
    What exactly happens to your hair with humidity if it is completely down? I think thick straight hair is absolutely gorgeous. Humidity makes my hair curl/wave in unpredictable ways, so I'm struggling to understand why you can't have it down and straight. Straight hair is gorgeous and if your hair doesn't take a curl, I wouldn't try to force it to do something unnatural that will just come out before you're ready. 
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I agree with PPs, but if you really want to curl it, try using a flat iron. My hair is similar to yours in that it doesn't hold a curl AT ALL. I've found, however, that if I curl *very small* sections of hair using a flat iron, the curls hold for a full day (and I even wake up with a few remaining waves!).

• Options
    If you really are set on curls, it will need to be done with curlers instead of heat styling.  
  • Options
    Have you tried getting a blowout?  I'm in NYC so we have a bunch of places you can walk in and all they do is wash, dry and in some cases, curl your hair.  I thought that there was no way they would get my hair to curl and stay.  To my surprise, this guy really worked his magic on me and gave me big beautiful curls that stayed over night and into the next day.  It took a lot of hair spray and I also washed and blow dried my hair before going so he spent the entire time giving me the curls I wanted.  Try to work with a professional before you give up on curls.  If one stylist can do it, another one should also be able to.  The products you use also make a huge difference, and a professional will be able to tell you what to use based on your hair type.  

On a side note, many have told me to use the flat iron, and for me the curls didn't stay as long, unfortunately.  I haven't tried curlers yet, though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips.  I'll have to see what I can do about a hair trial and see what my hair will do with the humidity. Usually it just gets frizzy and the top layer sticks up everywhere while the rest basically lays there flat when there's humidity, but that's with me just blowdrying it in the morning...

I'm hoping I don't have to just have it straight - that's how I have it pretty much every day and I'd like it more special.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    What about a braid? 

ETA if you want to see how it will look in the humidity, you can fake it by running a hot shower with the bathroom door closed.

• Options
    Some more braided options that would be pretty with long, thick hair:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards