Wedding Reception Forum

Signature Cocktails/Mocktails

My fiancé and I plan on having an open bar with a signature cocktail that guests can order (thinking an amf with a more appropriate name or something else that's blue). However, I have quite a few church members, friends of my parents, and religious college friends who are strongly against drinking. I was thinking of doing a "mocktail" for those who don't want to drink so that we still have a fun drink for them. 

Anyone know of fun blue drink recipes out there with absolutely zero alcohol in them? 

Also, should I have the DJ announce something to let people know that there are non-alcoholic drinks available at the bar? Since some may stay away from it otherwise?

Thanks!

Re: Signature Cocktails/Mocktails

• Normally, unless you are having a very fancy wedding,  the only place to get drinks (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) is at the bar.  There is usually only ice water and maybe iced tea at the tables.  So even the non-drinkers will end up at the bar if they are thirsty.  As for mocktails you can certainly have them. No ideas on recipes though, I'd ask the venue if they have something they can do.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I think blue drink, I think blue mouths and lips which are not very weddingly. You may want to rethink this into something with a color that's less likely to dye mouths and stain nice wedding clothes.

The only blue drink I can think of is a hurricane. And snow cones - I realize its not a drink but they can be blue, non alcoholic and delicious.
    *********************************************************************************

• chasseusechasseuse member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2014
    Kool-aid or blue Hawaiian punch

ETA: I had to look up amf. It looks pretty strong but like it will have an easy flavor. You might want to make sure your crowd knows how strong that is--especially if you change the name. You may end up with confused/VERY drunk people.
  • Our signature drink was a blueberry vodka lemonade with a blueberry garnish. Would have been very easy to make virgin though.
  • One of my concerns about the amf is the strength. I do know it can be weakened just like a long island (same recipe formula just different mixers). If we end up doing that we'll have to make sure to talk to the caterer about the strength. I like the blueberry lemonade idea a lot though. What's in that? Just blueberry lemonade with vodka added? Our wedding is in July, the ceremony is outside and there's a nice patio to sit at. Lemonade would be perfect for that- and it would unify the two drinks better.
  • It was lemonade, a blueberry liqueur (not sure which one - sorry!), vodka, and blueberries. 

For the virgin version, you could sub in a blueberry pure or a blueberry simple syrup.  
  • Does it have to be bright blue? You could do blueberry lemonade with lovely fresh blueberries for color. Or perhaps berry smoothies with lots of blueberries. In terms of informing guests of available beverages, you could have a cute sign at the bar listing your signature drinks with a Alcoholic section and a Non-Alcoholic section.
  • What about a Blue Hawaiian?

(From aloha-hawaii.com)

Blue Hawaii Recipe

3/4 oz. Rum
    3/4 oz. Vodka
    1/2 oz. Blue Caracao
    3 oz. Pineapple Juice
    1 oz. Sweet & Sour
    Ice (optional)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• The blue Hawaiians look awesome. But my maid of honor is highly allergic to citrus fruits and I want to make sure it's something she would be able to have as well
  • The blue Hawaiians look awesome. But my maid of honor is highly allergic to citrus fruits and I want to make sure it's something she would be able to have as well
    Wouldn't that also eliminate the lemonade?
  • Pineapple is not a citrus fruit. Lemons, oranges, etc. are considered citrus.

• Holy cow, if I'd had AMFs at my wedding, everyone would've been hammered.

As for non-alcoholic drinks, you can have punches labeled with what they are so it's obvious they're non-alcoholic--ie: "Acai Punch: a blend of pomegranate, acai, and cranberry juice blended with ice and garnished with a fresh hibiscus blossom," etc.  

Flavored lemonade/iced tea is refreshing and pleasant--raspberry lemonade, peach iced tea, etc.

Just don't name each of them.  Britni Punch.  Bobby Martini.  Love My Wedding Lemonade.  Will You Marry Me Peach Iced Tea.  *bleh...  *nausea...
  • I had to look up "AMF", as I'd never heard of that.

Turns out, I've had it, but we called it a "Lay Me Down, Sweet Jesus" (and rightfully so). I was hammered after three of those.
  • @wrigleyville Three?  Well done.  I think it took me two.  They were huge glasses, but still.  
  • So I just looked up AMF and I think my liver screamed. If you go with that I'd have a secondary option. Or at least mixers so people can have something with just one of the alcohols that's in that thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Blue curacao is a citrus liqueur.
  • Ah, I see. I never realized what was in it, just assumed it was "blue stuff".

Blue curacao is a citrus liqueur.
    Then that would take the AMF off the table if OP wants her MOH to be able to drink it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ah, I see. I never realized what was in it, just assumed it was "blue stuff".
    Haha. Same here. I always assumed it was sugary blue stuff added for sweetness and color. :)

No wonder it's in so many tropical drinks, then. Hunh. Learn something new every day.
  • Score one for the useless trivia knowledge! :)
  • Blue curaçao we've ever had must have extremely small amounts of citrus or it is artificially flavored. It's one of her favorite drinks and she's never had a problem with it. 

Also, may not be exactly "citrus". Idk. All I know is she had a bite of fish at a wedding this last weekend that she didn't realize had pineapple on it, and that little bit made her throat go numb.

Anyway- I'm really liking the blueberry lemonade drink :) 
  • @wrigleyville @artbyallie Seriously! I'm blown away by this knowledge now, hehe.

OP, lemonade is a citrus drink. Like, very citrus-y.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards