Wedding Etiquette Forum

Hat Etiquette

Ladies,
I read something on EHell today about a woman being berated by her friend for her inappropriate funeral attire and it got me thinking.  I've been looking for a small black hat or fascinator with a little bit of black netting (not full on veil, birdcage or face covering, at most covering just a little bit of the forehead).  I have some dresses that I think a hat like this would compliment for weddings and other occasions, and hats are fun.
My question is this-if I showed up to a wedding with a hat like this (I've included pics of possible examples below), would that be an etiquette faux pas?  The intention is not to look like a wedding or mourning veil, but a cute accessory to compliment a dressy outfit.  Black is the obvious color choice because it will match most outfits.  I have been looking online for wedding hat etiquette and I'm not finding anything to this level of detail that would tell me if this was inappropriate for some reason, such as looking like funeral attire.  What are your thoughts?

Examples:

Re: Hat Etiquette

• My sister has a black fascinator and it looks fabulous with any of her dressy outfits. Just don't wear one with a full black dress and yes, that would look mournful.

The British love their hats.  See Prince William's wedding as exhibit A.  I think some people here in the States would be a bit perturbed if your hat blocked their view of a ceremony, but then again, I'm short and don't like it when tall people block my view of anything- so there you go. 

My mom (British) wears big hats to weddings and gets lots of compliments.  I think Americans really need to get on the fabulous hat bandwagon outside of horse racing.  Rock it!  

• I agree with PPs. Just don't wear it with black. And I agree with @thisismynickname‌, Americans need to wear awesome hats more often.
  • The fascinator I think is fine but the other black hats with veils are too funerary for a wedding. What about navy?

Also hats are not customarily worn at evening events.
  • Thank you! These are the rules I'm talking about, I appreciate hearing from someone in the know! I also appreciate the perspective from others-it's interesting that what looks like a fun, chic hat to me might look like a funeral hat to someone else, and I definitely don't want that. I wouldn't want to wear a huge hat, maybe something smaller like a pillbox with a little bit of netting detail but not covering the eyes at all-again, not going for the mourning widow look. Sounds like staying away from a black dress while wearing a black hat is a must. Great advice, all, thank you!
  • @LondonLisa, what is the rule on fascinators after sunset? Does that count as a hat, or could I get away with that?
  • Learn something new every day!  

• This is formal, black tie equivalent day dress (with Princess Eugenie wearing a Fascinator and Prince Harry in a morning suit):

• @LondonLisa‌ I just want to listen to you talk about fashion and see more hat photos.
    haha, should I just have "The Hat Box with LondonLisa" where I just post photos of hats. Seems rather local news (and one step away from the classic 'Anchorman' cat fashion show)

"... and here we have Princess Michael of Kent with the Countess of Wessex wearing Rachel Trevor-Morgan...."
    Yes! Yes, this please!
  • @LondonLisa‌ I just want to listen to you talk about fashion and see more hat photos.
    haha, should I just have "The Hat Box with LondonLisa" where I just post photos of hats. Seems rather local news (and one step away from the classic 'Anchorman' cat fashion show)

"... and here we have Princess Michael of Kent with the Countess of Wessex wearing Rachel Trevor-Morgan...."
    I understand you're joking, but I have sincere interest in that!!!
    Seriously, it's nice learning the rules for these things! 
  • edited August 2014
    I love hats! I would totally read "The Hat Box with  @LondonLisa !"
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• DOOOOO IIIIIITTTTT.

I would totally read the shit out of it.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Black hats are not for weddings.  Any other color is fine.  I wore an ivory hat to my daughter's wedding because FMIL was a "hat lady", and wanted to wear onoe, too.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would so read it also!!

I got my first fascinator for the Kentucky Derby this year; I wish I had more reasons (social acceptability?) to wear it. 
  • Thanks to all of you for your feedback, much appreciated!
  • CMGragain said:
    Black hats are not for weddings.  Any other color is fine.  I wore an ivory hat to my daughter's wedding because FMIL was a "hat lady", and wanted to wear onoe, too.
    If the future Queen of England can get away with wearing a black one with a colorful dress to a wedding, I think it's ok. Black is not inherently bad for weddings- it's about the total outfit.
    Anniversary
  • l I've never heard of the no hats in the evening rule.  Is that a real etiquette rule?  I always wear a hat or a veil in church, so I think I would still wear one in the evening in that case, but I'd be curious to know for other circumstances.  I love hats:)  Especially since they're less conspicuous than veils, especially at weddings.
  •     I wear fascinator type hats all the time with certain outfits. Someday's it just going to the grocery store. People look at me like I'm an AW occasionally (and may even say something), but that's their problem not mine! My little hat isn't hurting anyone and I feel good wearing it.
  • Fairyjen1 said:

I wear fascinator type hats all the time with certain outfits. Someday's it just going to the grocery store. People look at me like I'm an AW occasionally (and may even say something), but that's their problem not mine! My little hat isn't hurting anyone and I feel good wearing it.

I may start doing this.
  • l I've never heard of the no hats in the evening rule.  Is that a real etiquette rule?  I always wear a hat or a veil in church, so I think I would still wear one in the evening in that case, but I'd be curious to know for other circumstances.  I love hats:)  Especially since they're less conspicuous than veils, especially at weddings.

l I've never heard of the no hats in the evening rule.  Is that a real etiquette rule?  I always wear a hat or a veil in church, so I think I would still wear one in the evening in that case, but I'd be curious to know for other circumstances.  I love hats:)  Especially since they're less conspicuous than veils, especially at weddings.

I don't know about America, but it would be strange to see a guest at a wedding that starts in the evening with a hat. It is very much daytime attire. Remember, they were originally to keep the sun out of a woman's eyes, so it would be like wearing sunglasses at night. Now a hat worn to church for religious purposes, such as a Catholic mantilla, is completely different than what we are talking about, which a essentially a fashion hat.
  • RajahBMFD said:
    CMGragain said:
    Black hats are not for weddings.  Any other color is fine.  I wore an ivory hat to my daughter's wedding because FMIL was a "hat lady", and wanted to wear onoe, too.
    If the future Queen of England can get away with wearing a black one with a colorful dress to a wedding, I think it's ok. Black is not inherently bad for weddings- it's about the total outfit.
    .... and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland etc. England and the UK are not synonyms!

• RajahBMFD said:

CMGragain said:

.... and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland etc. England and the UK are not synonyms!

To us Yankees they are sometimes ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I'm old enough to remember when a Kleenex bobbypinned to my hair was fashionable (and acceptable) for Sunday Mass. Arghhh. Who were we kidding?
    There are two kinds of hats.  Daytime hats are functional.  They have brims, and might just keep the sun off your face or neck.
    Evening hats (fascinators) haven't been seen since the early 1960's, until just lately when the fascinator fad came back.  An evening hat is completely non-functional.  It is purely decorative.  If it looks like a little bird has flown down and placed something small on your head, it is an evening hat.  They usually have sequins, crystals or feathers.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'm old enough to remember when a Kleenex bobbypinned to my hair was fashionable (and acceptable) for Sunday Mass. Arghhh. Who were we kidding?

LOL! Whenever mom and I walked by a Catholic church, she required we stop in to light a candle and say a prayer. Head coverings for females were required back then, so she would bobby pin a Kleenex, handkerchief or church bulletin (!) to our heads. I'm not sure why she packed her purse with Kleenex, handkerchiefs and bobby pins, but not those nifty little mantillas that came in travel pouches, which we used for Sunday Mass. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards