Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Gift - which would you prefer?

I'm going to purchase my bridesmaids earrings for their gift that they can wear on the day of the event and there after hopefully. 
(They all have pierced ears).

I have two options as I'm trying to keep it affordable (<$100)

1) Blue diamond Stud with 10K white gold mounting
2) Blue diamond Stud with sterling silver mounting. 

I personally know my ears react if I don't have at a minimum sterling silver in them.

Anyhow - would you rather  ....

A) the 10K gold mounting with a smaller stone weight total?
OR
B) the sterling silver mounting with a bigger stone weight total?

Trying to make a decision I'm just not sure what the girls would prefer.  

Thank in advance for your input ladies.  

Re: Bridesmaid Gift - which would you prefer?

• I, personally, would never wear a blue diamond stud again. But that's just me.

Also, you will be hearing from a lot of people on here about how their jewelry for the day of should not be their gift, since you want them to wear it anyways.

I do like how you are being thoughtful about their ears. I know mine react to ANYTHING that isn't nice, as well. Us and our picky ears :)

• I am not a fan of gold unless it is white gold, so I would prefer the sterling silver.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I personally wouldn't invest heavily in jewelry for your bridesmaids, especially since it's something you're wanting them to wear in the wedding which technically nullifies the "gift" aspect. If a bride "gifted" me diamond earrings, I would most likely assume they were CZ at best, bc why on earth would she buy us diamonds? And, I most likely wouldn't wear them again regardless.. especially if it's a colored stone.. My suggestion is find a nice sterling/non diamond pair and then include something personally tailored to each girl as part of the gift
  • Personally, I'd prefer the silver with the bigger rock.

However, if you have the budget to be buying blue diamond and gold earrings, you really should look at buying them individual gifts. With that kind of a budget, you could get a Coach purse for the accessories girl; for the yoga girl, a package at her favorite studio; for the chef, a cooking class or really nice knife; for the wino, a wine of the month club membership; for the pampered girl, a spa package..

Not everyone is going to want diamond studs. Personally, I lose WAY too many earrings. I have singletons everywhere. Plus, I guarantee not one guest will notice if they're wearing matching earrings.
    *********************************************************************************

• I am not a fan of gold unless it is white gold, so I would prefer the sterling silver.
    The options listed were 10K white gold or sterling silver. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would not like either.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • mysticl said:
    I am not a fan of gold unless it is white gold, so I would prefer the sterling silver.
    The options listed were 10K white gold or sterling silver. 
    Oops, thanks @mysticl. I missed that part.
  • I'm not a fan of stud earrings either way.
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    white gold is usually alloyed with nickel. A lot of people, including myself, are allergic to nickel. I didn't realize this was the case until my parents gifted me with an expensive white gold class ring when I graduated from college. I wore the ring for hours and .... itchy red bumps. I have a nice white gold necklace, but as I only wore it for a very short period of time, and rarely, I didn't realize I was allergic. Earrings are worn for hours. Go for the sterling silver. 

ETA: nickel is often what cheap jewelry is made out of, so it may be the culprit for why inexpensive jewelry makes your ears freak out. 
  • ps- where are you finding blue diamond earrings for less than $100???? 
  • I wouldn't wear studs either way.  But my feelings would be hurt that you tried to pass off wedding jewelry as a gift.  

Choose a personal gift.  Part of the wedding uniform is not a gift.  
  • Thanks Ladies. It's not part of the wedding uniform - if they choose to wear them great, if not it doesn't matter to me. I'm not planning on designating jewelry to be worn on the day of, figured what they are spending to travel and attend and help with dresses is more than enough expense. @lilacck28 - they are quite small - definitely not big rocks. TCW of 1/3 to 1/2 ct. Amazon.com. My mom ordered a pair and quite likes them.. . that's what made me think of it. *** also - thanks for the heads up on the nickel being under the white gold - didn't know that! :)
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    it's not exactly "under" the white gold. Gold is yellow. There's no such thing as a whiter colored gold. So, in order to make gold appear "whiter" or silver colored, they mix it (or alloy it) with a metal that is naturally white/silver, usually nickel (sometimes you can get it alloyed with palladium which is hypoallergenic, but this is pretty rare in the US). It still has a slightly warmer tinge to it, so the mix of gold and nickel is then plated with a very white and hard metal, usually rhodium. That's why people with white gold engagement rings often then them "redipped" in the rhodium as the plating begins to wear off and the warmer gold/nickel shows through. 
  • Personally, I would be disappointed in earrings as I am allergic to any metal in my ear. My friends don't know this because I never wear jewelry. So, I guess then I'd be disappointed in any jewelry being my main gift. Your best friends spent so much money, time and effort on you for your wedding, the least you could do is get them different, unique gifts that represent who they are. If you're dead set of the earrings, at least get them a little something else.
  • Just buy them gifts like you would for their birthdays or Christmas.  Individualized so each person likes the gift they receive and will actually use it.
  • My friend just got married and "gifted" all of us BMs with earrings and necklaces. Nice, she wanted us to match. Not so nice, I hate wearing earrings because my ears get so irritated. As soon as the ceremony and photos were done, I took them out and threw them in my bag, never to be worn again. Just keep in mind, while it's a nice thought, your money could be better spent on something you know each girl will appreciate because you hand picked it with them (the individual) in mind, not the group.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I tend to disagree with most people who post on here about jewelry as gifts for bridesmaids, when I was in my sisters wedding she gave us a pearl full set and I was grateful. I am giving my girls a earrings and necklace set they can wear to the wedding but also in the future. I am also going to be giving them gift cards to there favorite stores.

• I'd prefer the ones with 10k gold.
  • I'd rather you pay for my BM dress than give me a present...
  • I would prefer the smaller studs, with the white gold. My ears aren't sensitive but I would wear smaller stones more than large.

Hell, I think it is a nice present. To wear the day of, and after? Why not?

• People keep giving me jewelry, but aside from my Pandora bracelet, I hardly wear any. I wouldn't appreciate this as a gift personally.

So, I'd encourage my friends to choose whatever costs less, since it's not something I will likely wear many more times in my life.

I got earrings for a wedding I was in. She had them custom made... I smiled and thanked her when she gave them to me, but it wasn't something I particularly liked or cared about and they just sit in the box.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • I don't wear stud earrings.  I wear long, dangly earrings.  So, I might wear these lovely blue stud earrings in my second hole, and blinggy things in my first.  And I'll also be wearing the other four earrings (per ear) that I wear daily, so I'm pretty sure these earrings you're buying me will be getting lost on my ears.
  • I would never wear blue diamonds again. I would also assume that they're fake because, well, they're blue diamonds.

I'd find a different plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards