Chit Chat
Options

Destination Wedding Advice

I'm getting married in Kauai, Hawaii in December 2015. I am pretty easygoing when it comes to wedding planning. So far we have put a deposit on the venue and have it down to like 8 wedding dresses (just need to try them on). I am super excited to get married in one of my favorite summer vacation spots, my FI hasn't traveled a lot so very excited to show and take him to such a beautiful place. The only thing that I have found to be kind of pricey is the wedding hair and makeup. This is called cheap $200 for both hair and makeup per person. My wedding budget (not including hotel and plane rates) is $10,000-12,000.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Destination Wedding Advice

• Options
    I don't think $200 is expensive for both, but I live in NY where things are always more expensive. 
  • Options
    I don't think that's too bad, but as a percentage of your budget, it's a little high. 

If you are decent at doing your own make-up or you want to wear your hair down, you could skip one or both and just spend the next 14 months practicing a few times on yourself. That seems like plenty of time to figure out what you want, refine it and DIY. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I paid about $150 for hair and makeup, but I'm in the midwest. 

$200 sounds reasonable. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    I'm in the northeast as well and I paid $150 for hair and makeup so $200 in Hawaii sounds quite reasonable.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My hairstylist buddy charges $350+ for hair and makeup for weddings. That includes trials. We're in NH, if that makes any difference.

Stuff in Kauai is pretty expensive, so $200 sounds very reasonable to me.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Everything is moew expensive in Hawaii - even McDonalds!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    My hair and make-up was about that in Hawaii if I remember.  She also came to our hotel though and did everything in our room.  If you check the local Hawaii board, there should be a lot of older posts with vendor recommendations.  Go from there to find some more if you need quotes.  Also, I think Kauai will be more expensive that say Oahu due to fewer people on the island

• Options
     I love the idea of getting married in Hawaii! My H and I have always wanted to go there! 

$200 is a little high, but doesn't sound ridiculous. My hair cost me around $70, (not including trials), and I did my own make-up. (I've never had good experiences with having someone do my make-up, & I like how I do it, and wanted to look like "me", so I just did it myself). Is there any way of shopping around? I'd do some research online, and see what your options are for hair/make-up artists. Compare prices, look at photo galleries, and definitely go through the customer reviews! That's where I would start! :)

*J
  • Options
    My venue is not that expensive at all and includes a lot (cake, officiant, my bouquet, chairs, music, etc.). I just found it expensive since I will have 3 bridesmaids, flower girl (just hair something simple), my mom, my fiancé's mom, and my fiancé's sister (one of his grooms ladies). So I was like woah super pricey. I have been looking around a little bit, but the cheapest my wedding coordinator found (also included in my wedding package) said the cheapest she could find was $180 for hair and makeup. I want to get my makeup done, so I do not have to worry about messing up my makeup. I mean hey it is going to be my wedding day, why not go all out?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    Everything is moew expensive in Hawaii - even McDonalds!
    Don't know if this was intentional - but made me laugh! Ha!!!

Also - normal around here is ~150 for both and I'm in a LCOL area, and considering Hawaii is HCOL - $200 sounds really reasonable - as pp have stated.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    I think that is reasonable for Hawaii.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    What is LCOL and HCOL? Okay well I was just venting and asking for advice. Thanks everyone. Has anyone here had a destination wedding or having one?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    bleidig said:
    What is LCOL and HCOL? Okay well I was just venting and asking for advice. Thanks everyone. Has anyone here had a destination wedding or having one?
    Low Cost of Living/ High Cost of Living
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    bleidig said:

I had a destination wedding in Australia. I may not be able to give the best advice since we eloped and didn't do many of the additional things you'd see at a traditional wedding.

There is a destination weddings forum that you may want to post in. Check out the tab for "Culture and Theme" on the main forum page.

• Options
    I did a DW to Hawaii. I'll answer what I can. I used the local Hawaii board a lot when I was planning, but it's pretty dead now.

• Options
    What island and where did you get married in Hawaii?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

bleidig said:
    What island and where did you get married in Hawaii?

We got married on Oahu, in Waikiki at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach.  It's called the Voyager Deck and it overlooked the beach.  I've never been to Kauai, so I don't have much to add there.  Our hotel had a package deal, so almost everything was included.  I think we changed the officiant and ordered a cake.  

• Options
    I've been to Kauai quite a few times and we have a package deal too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    bleidig said:
    I'm having a destination wedding in Mauritius. FI and live in the UK. Our whole wedding will cost $18000. Then again, everything in Mauritius is much much cheaper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What does your dress look like?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    bleidig said:
    What does your dress look like?
    It's the Tristan by Maggie Sottero. We're having a luxury wedding in a five star + hotel so I wanted something that looks swanky without the hefty price tag :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Does that include coming to your location? Or is that at their salon?

Mine was $100 for hair & makeup, plus $50 for them coming to my hotel in New Orleans.  I thought that was extremely cheap.  

I was the only person who had makeup done though.  All my BM's chose to get hair done (they didn't have to though). I offered it to my BM's, but they felt more comfortable doing their own. I'm the same way.  My wedding is the only time I've been happy with professional makeup and probably wouldn't bother paying for it for any other time.  I've been BM in weddings where several of the girls were doing pro makeup, but I still opted to do my own. So, definitely check with your BM's to make sure this is something they are even interested in. I don't mind getting hair done, but people tend to be specific on how they like their makeup.

Another option for makeup, look at having makeup done at makeup counter at the mall.  My sister had her wedding makeup (and most of her BM's) done at the MAC makeup counter at Macy's.  You can set appointment in advance.  And generally they are "free" if you purchase $50 of makeup. So, really it's $50 to get makeup done, but you take home products too. Check to see if they have available where you will be and if price is same, since things can be more expensive in Hawaii. But, if you can do makeup for $50, that could bring cost down a lot.

• Options
    I love Maggie Sottero (both lines). I love Melanie, Simone (still need to try on), Mauve (still need to try on), and Brandy. That's the salon, no it's like $50 per person extra if they come to the location. Only two of my BM's use makeup regularly. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    bleidig said:
    I love Maggie Sottero (both lines). I love Melanie, Simone (still need to try on), Mauve (still need to try on), and Brandy. That's the salon, no it's like $50 per person extra if they come to the location. Only two of my BM's use makeup regularly. 
    All very beautiful and luxurious dresses!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards