Wisconsin

Madison Area HELP...Mifflin Block Party the same weekend of wedding? HELP

HELP...

We are having our wedding May6, 2011 at a nature center near Milwaukee.  We want to have our reception on May 7, 2011 in the Madison area.  We found a site that we love in downtown Madison.  

Our dilemma... my bother (a Madison grad) and people who live in the area say that is the weekend of the Mifflin Street Block Party.  We mentioned it to the event coordinator at the site, and she said it is two weeks before graduation, which falls on April 30th. Our site is two blocks away from Mifflin street.  I do not want my family to have to drive through that, have the noise, and potential crashers.  We already have the site on Friday and out photographer booked...

Who do I believe and what do I do?  

Re: Madison Area HELP...Mifflin Block Party the same weekend of wedding? HELP

• edited December 2011
    i think you are ok--it will probably be april 30 because they avoid putting it in the middle of exam week!
  • edited December 2011
    This past year Mifflin was on May 1st, it was the saturday BEFORE the last week of classes.  The last week of classes is May 2-6 in 2011, so you should be fine.  Mifflin should be on April 30th because May 7th is the "study day" for finals.  I don't know how long ago your brother graduated from UW, but it used to always be the first weekend of May until it was changed to the week before the last week of classes due to finals.

I just graduated from UW and I went and looked all this up for you, so it seems like you got some pretty accurate advice.  GL!

PS--what location are you looking in to?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Madison grad too and I think it would be April 30th. You could try to get in touch with someone at the university if you want to know for sure. Someone at the dorms, at the visitors center, or student activities would probably be able to tell you.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I currently go to Madison and it should be on the 30th this coming spring semester based on when finals fall. So I think you will be fine!
    The Wedded Road Wedding Countdown Ticker my read shelf:
    Fran Uselman's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) image
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks all for the help... We were looking into the Doubletree... It is nice but super expensive, so we are looking into other options...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards