Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Trying Hair Extensions for the First Time...HELP!

I went for my hair trial, and the hairstylist recommended I get clip-in extensions since my hair is somewhat thin. I have never used or purchased hair extensions before, and don't know the first thing about them. I have a bunch of questions...How do you know what color to get? How long they should be? Whether you need one package or more? Are there a particular type to get if you want more volume or if you want more length? I would appreciate it if anyone has suggestions or recommendations for a particular brand, and a place to purchase them since they are so expensive. I've seen a few suggestions on here for Sally's, but when I went to the store, they have a bunch of different brands, lengths, and colors. I am very nervous to buy them since they are pricey and are non-returnable. I know I want human hair so it can be cut and styled, and I know I want clip-in extensions, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Any feedback, recommendations/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. Lisa

Re: Trying Hair Extensions for the First Time...HELP!

• I bought mine forever ago at Sallys, but I believe they were the Remy 18 inch by Euronext clip in hair extensions. They came in a box and had 4 tiny/small clips, then 4 other strands that were longer. I have thin hair and I just bought 1 package and the 1 package works just fine.

The length is completely dependent on you, and how long you want your hair. I had short hair, somewhere around my chin/midneck to just past at shoulders when I bought them, and I wanted past my shoulders and it did the trick. Sallys, has all different lengths and brands you just want to make sure its human hair, and read the reviews. As far as color goes, if you have a friend that is a hairstylist, or even the sally person, they could help you pick out a good color.

I took my friend with me who also colored my hair at the time with me to pick the color out, we picked something close to my natural hair color and now to get them to match even better, we color and highlight my regular hair to match the hair extensions.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-extensions/EURNXT02,default,pd.html#start=17&sz=12&viewAllProducts=true

Pictures are of my e-session with my hair extensions in, my hair has just finally went past my shoulders now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When are you looking into getting yours? I'm going to be ordering mine next week, and if you aren't looking to order right away I can give you my, and my hairstylist's opinion of clip-ins before you buy.

She's used the ones from Sally with good results. I'm going to order a ginormous pack from Bellami because I want some big-ass vavoooooom hair. I have really fine hair, so I'm trying to bulk it up with the clip-ins.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Thank you caitlinmca and beethery. I appreciate the information. I need to purchase the extensions on or before September 9 to have them in time for my follow up hair trial. I am also getting my hair highlighted so I am going to wait until after I have that done so I can match the color. I am leaning toward getting the extensions at Sally's so I can see them in person.

beethery, is there a reason that you prefer to order from Bellami?

Thank you both again.

• I have used 2 kinds of extensions.  The flip in kind, (Halo Couture) and a clip in kind (Cashmere Hair Extensions)  both are right around the same price point $300 and I would suggest using swatches to color match or contacting the company directly.  Most companies will help you color match using pictures of your natural hair. 

My personal preference have been the Cashmere Hair extensions.  They are double drawn 200g extensions.  They are thick and silky, and the best part THEY DO NOT TANGLE. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to have a rats nest of hair at the end of the day after wearing hair extensions.  You can also do an updo with these extensions as opposed to the flip in kind where you cannot. 

I have heard several good things about Bellami hair extensions, I just have not tried them myself.  Good luck finding your perfect ones!

• I had my stylist order mine for me.  I bought them a few years ago, and I think they cost about $500.  I was told that they were made to order, but I can't be entirely sure.  They're such a good match though, and very comfortable to wear.  If you contact your regular hair dresser I'm sure he or she can recommend something for you.

• I use SKR and I love them. I'll have to buy a new package before the wedding because my current ones have seen a lot this summer!

You mentioned waiting to get them until after you get your hair lightened... but have you thought about getting them first and taking them in with you? Your hair person can dye them for you to match you perfectly. You also shouldn't have to worry about length too much - the girl doing your hair for the wedding can cut them at your trial or the day of.  
  • The extensions are only clip in and they will make it easier for your stylist to create something amazing. Its your wedding day you should look your very best. Go for it!!!
  • I'm trying clip in extensions for my wedding day as well... Black! Getting married in Vegas, so my hair stylist is bringing them with her, they're clip in as well. I'm thinking it'll be fabulous! Do it!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think these are all perfect questions for your stylist!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards