Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

So worried

My wedding is in 28 days. I got my dress a year ago and loved it...until fitting time. It's strapless, and I still haven't found the right bra/corset, and because of the detailing it can't be hemmed (had to get taller shoes) and my seamstress will have to get creative because it can't be taken in the normal way (the lace covers the seam). To top it off, it's a bit hard to communicate with my seamstress as English isn't her first language (although she's worked on stuff for is for years and never a complaint). My friend said to take the dress somewhere else, but it would be a rush order, and some places won't even work on a dress that has already been worked on. I'm so afraid my dream dress is going to turn into a bad case of looking like I walked out of a costume closet to play wedding dress up. :-(

Re: So worried

• Options
    Do you have any pictures?  The girls here are great with underwear suggestions, and a lot of them know a ton about alterations.
  • Options
    I don't have any pictures from my fitting :(
  • Options
    Or is there a link to the dress on the designer's website?  Seriously, the women here are fabulous with this sort of stuff.
  • Options
    And what do you mean by "the lace covers the seam"?  Is it a double layer dress, or is there some sort of appliqué on it?  Appliqués can be removed and reattached.  
  • Options
    If you can't find a bra, the seamstress can just sew in cups, as well. that way you can go braless but still have support
  • Options
    jensilva13jensilva13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2014
    If a lace appliqué can be removed, then maybe my lady doesn't know what she's doing :(

I will try to post a pic later it's not working on my phone.
  • Options
    It's probably a good idea. Hopefully I can give you a proper yes or no depending on the picture, but if it's a true appliqué, then yes, it can be removed and resewn. The real issue here is how it's attached to the dress. If it's machine sewn all the way around the edges, you risk damage to the base fabric in removing it. A lot of lace appliqués I've seen on wedding and formal gowns were tacked on, which involved a number of quite loose stitches in key areas. It seems reasonable to get a second opinion on the dress regardless. If you have the name of the designer and style of the dress, we can do a search for you.
  • Options
    Lol.  I love that girl gawking at you.  Was that someone you took shopping, or just a curious stranger?

Alright, it's sort of hard to tell from the photos.  The lace does look like appliqué but I can't tell from this how it's attached, or how it sits over the seams.  I'd definitely get a second opinion on this one.  The only problem that I could see would be if the appliqués were glued or stuck down, rather than being sewn.  Anything sewn on can be removed, repositioned, or replaced.  

Love the detail and colors on that dress!
  • Options
    jensilva13jensilva13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2014
    One of my bridesmaids. lol. In person, it looks sewn on. It's an Oleg Cassini and normally expensive enough to be sewn on (half off clearance!) The unique coloring and detailing was what sold me on it :)

Thanks for the encouragement. :)
  • Options
    Are you keeping the sash?  Your seamstress can hem the dress from the middle seam, which would then be hidden by your sash, just in case the lace cannot be removed and reattached properly.

I would recommend getting a strapless long line bra.  I got mine from Macy's.  You can purchase them by cup size.  I would go to the store and get one ASAP if you are starting to get close to the wire.  If you aren't near a Macy's, any good department store will have a selection of long line bras.  Also, most bridal shops will sell long line bras.
  • Options
    Wedding dresses are constructed to be able to be altered. I didn't end up getting a dress with detailing on the skirt, but I tried on a ton of them, and almost ended up with one. I'm 5' tall, and the bridal shop seamstress said it would not have been a problem to take it up, although it does take some extra creative effort. I would get a second opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You look gorgeous, I don't think you will look like you are playing dress up regardless of alterations. I would definitely try getting a second opinion. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards