Chit Chat

If one more person nominates me for this ice bucket ALS challenge...

Re: If one more person nominates me for this ice bucket ALS challenge...

• I don't want to be nominated because that would mean I might have to divulge my illness. Many people ILR still do not know. I can't do the ice bucket challenge from the hospital bed and I can't donate without my wallet. I'm just not ready to go IRL public and I don't want to be forced to do so. However, I'm all for bringing awareness to causes that deserve visibility. Not GFMs for weddings, new cars, and vacations. 

• This is what we should be doing. (Maybe not 10K and using it for publicity but still...)

http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/18/charlie-sheen-ice-bucket-challenge-als-foundation-money-rain/

• Taylor Swift and Jamie King posted a video over the weekend of them doing the ice bucket challenge with a bunch of their staffers (or maybe it was backup dancers/singers?). They had two stacks of $100 bills and said they were donating $100 on behalf of each person in their group that was doing the challenge. The whole put up a video thing is pretty AW-ish but it's definitely better than, say, a honeyfund.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Taylor Swift and Jamie King posted a video over the weekend of them doing the ice bucket challenge with a bunch of their staffers (or maybe it was backup dancers/singers?). They had two stacks of $100 bills and said they were donating $100 on behalf of each person in their group that was doing the challenge. The whole put up a video thing is pretty AW-ish but it's definitely better than, say, a honeyfund.
    Ha, this is true! I don't think the ice bucket is like, the Devil's Fundraiser. It just makes me roll my eyes. I do prefer it when people make it clear that they aren't doing the bucket in lieu of donating--doing both is really the ideal here, since it does the "viral awareness" thing AND links it to donating, rather than making the two mutually exclusive.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • It's been like a week of the Ice Bucket Challenge attacking my newsfeed, and today was the first time one of my friends even mentioning that it was for ALS.  I was sitting there going, "what is this dumb challenge?"  At least now it makes more sense, but I still think it's dumb.  Just donate.  No need to be all loud about it.  

• emmaaa said:
    This is what we should be doing. (Maybe not 10K and using it for publicity but still...)

http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/18/charlie-sheen-ice-bucket-challenge-als-foundation-money-rain/
    I was just going to post this. Maybe the video will imbed:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was nominated at 9am on Saturday while I was at work.  I worked  late.  DH worked even later so I didn't have anyone around to video it.   Then I  worked a double yesterday (gone from 8:30am until midnight).    

I haven't done it yet and I'm being judged for it.     At this point I'm hoping they forgot they nominated me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • banana468 said:
    doeydo said:
    I'm going to pick who I want to donate to, and while ALS is a terrible disease that I already knew about because there were commercials and I read Tuesdays With Morrie, I would rather donate to World Wildlife Fund or something else that helps animals.  I have decided to no longer donate money to cure diseases, as usually scientists test on animals and I will not knowingly participate or support any kind of cruelty to animals.  

SITB - You do realize that many of the drugs you take may have been tested on animals, right?   If you've ever taken aspirin or ibuprofen then it's really hypocritical.    Beyond that, animals are often kept in great condition.    When I was in college there was a rat lab in the basement of the psychology building.   The rats lived in better conditions than many of the graduate students that were in charge of them.   And the end result of the animal testing done there is progress with diseases like Parkinson's Disease.

Support any charity you want but unless you never take anything and never plan to undergo any treatment if stricken with some illness I call bullshit. 
    Actually, I try to look for the "cruelty free" symbol or a saying like "this product was not tested on animals".  We could go over the pros and many cons of animal testing, but I'd rather not thread-jack and get into another argument with everyone... 
  • So I'm a bit confused about the ice bucket portion because I first saw these ice bucket videos pop up on my newsfeed in June. They weren't for ALS, though. F what I gathered, the person could either donate $100 to a charity of their choice OR dump the ice bucket in their heads, and only make a $10 donation. So I noticed a bunch of people just dumped the bucket, and nominated others instead of donating anything at all. Then, a few weeks ago, I saw that it became the ALS ice bucket water challenge.

I'm on the fence about it. At first, I thought it was really stupid. I think because of the first few videos I saw, where people were essentially just dumping buckets of water on their heads as a game. Now, I think it's great that it is raising awareness and money towards ALS. With that being said, I doubt I will be doing the challenge if I'm nominated. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Until this thread I wasn't even aware people were donating AND dumping buckets of ice water on their head. Because so far all my FB friends videos have said this:
    "Kay Bob nominated me so now I nominate John and Sue, you have 24 hours or you HAVE to donate to charity!"
    Which has rubbed me the wrong way.
    I'm glad this is raising awareness and money, but I just don't like the fad/AWish aspect to it.
    Also, I have a very low charity budget. Not because I'm an asshole, but because funds are tight. With saving up for our wedding and me still only working part time, I don't know if we'll have any money to donate. With that being said, I didn't appreciate being nominated today because now I look like the asshole that doesn't do the challenge or donate.
  • FYI: this started several weeks before ALS claimed it. A bunch of golfers started it to tease each other- either do the challenge or donate to the charity of their choice. ALS re appropriated the challenge for their charity. That's why there are videos of celebrities like Matt Lauer doing it without mentioning ALS- they did it before ALS took over.
    Anniversary
  • @elcab : there's definitely nothing wrong with donating to charity. But the ice bucket challenge floating around my circle is asking for $100 OR the ice water....I'm sorry that I donate to other charities through the year and can't afford to give that much to one place. Which is exactly what my posted article explained..also, because of that I'm supposed to dump water on myself?
  • I'd be more impressed if it wasn't the dead ass of summer in the northern hemisphere.
    I feel like this particular challenge is just giving people an excuse to do something they wouldn't mind doing, anyway.
    It's completely 100% AWish. My biggest problem with it is how the choice is supposed to be between pouring the water over your head or donating money. Most people are just dumping water over their heads with no mention of the disease at all.

ALS Association has been very grateful for the donations, which has gone way up this summer due to the challenges. The issue I have is that there is no staying power with gimmicks and fads like these. The funds will be great for awhile and the association will make plans to expand their research, but then will come up short for money again.
    This reminds me too much of those horrible Facebook posts, the ones where women post up the color of their bra, but don't tell the men what the purpose of posting the colors are. As soon as October is over, so is any mention of breast cancer awareness. Same with the end of the warm weather.

The only video I've seen so far that hasn't made me want to cringe was my friend's, who spoke about the disease, provided links for further research and then declined to pour water over her head in favor of donating what she could afford.

FWIW, ALSA didn't come up with this challenge. It's been around for awhile, but the challenge involved challenging other people to make a donation to their own favorite charity. ALSA has just been benefiting from it, which is fine, but I hate that it has become known as the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, instead of it being more inclusive. Good on them, though. I certainly don't begrudge them of their much needed funds.

On a sidenote, The Biebs is late on nominating Obama. He was already nominated by Ethel Kennedy. He chose to donate in lieu of facing the bucket.
  • I think it is outstanding how much money they raised. ALS is unfortunately a fatal disease.

However, I would like to see this done for something like Organ Donation that affects everyone in our Nation and probably others as well. I realize that not everyone chooses to participate in the harvesting of organs and the acceptance of harvested organs but the program is in affect. We need more awareness about this. 

People need to understand how crucial it is to donate their organs so that they can help save a dying child, mother, father, sister, brother or best friend. That is what I'd like to see awareness raised for. Because again, Organ Donation affects EVERYONE!

Let's see Robert Downey Jr. and Hugh Jackman participate in some fun charade and raise awareness ( I don't even care about money) to help dispel the myths that get people scared about donating organs or checking that box at the DMV. 

And finally, no one should really call anyone out to donate money ever. Or make them feel like they have to take part in anything for a charity. Maybe that isn't your charity? I've been called out and I have absolutely no intention of taking part. It's not my charity, I donate my money and my time to my charities.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with Fran. It sounds like a lot of people on this thread have friends who have no idea what they are doing and just dumping water on their head.  When something goes viral like this there are going to be a bunch of people who have no idea what the point of it is.

I'm in Massachusetts and Pete Frates went to Boston College, so some of my facebook friends actually know him or his wife. Pretty much everyone of my friends who have done the ice bucket challenge have mentioned ALS and donated money (or so they say). 

And no, you dont' have donate 5x if you been nominated 5 times, that's absurd. People who have been nominated already will just say, sorry already been nominated. No big deal. 

And no one is forcing anyone to do it. And in the Boston area the last week or so has been pretty unseasonable cold. It's not 90 degrees up here.

• I think it is outstanding how much money they raised. ALS is unfortunately a fatal disease.

However, I would like to see this done for something like Organ Donation that affects everyone in our Nation and probably others as well. I realize that not everyone chooses to participate in the harvesting of organs and the acceptance of harvested organs but the program is in affect. We need more awareness about this. 

People need to understand how crucial it is to donate their organs so that they can help save a dying child, mother, father, sister, brother or best friend. That is what I'd like to see awareness raised for. Because again, Organ Donation affects EVERYONE!

Let's see Robert Downey Jr. and Hugh Jackman participate in some fun charade and raise awareness ( I don't even care about money) to help dispel the myths that get people scared about donating organs or checking that box at the DMV. 

And finally, no one should really call anyone out to donate money ever. Or make them feel like they have to take part in anything for a charity. Maybe that isn't your charity? I've been called out and I have absolutely no intention of taking part. It's not my charity, I donate my money and my time to my charities.
    I don't follow your logic.  How on earth does organ donation affect everyone?

• I had the same understanding as @HuskyPuppy14. Once you've been nominated, you don't have to donate/dump a bucket of ice on your head a second time. I agree that is AW-ish. I will also admit that I did dump a bucket of ice water on my head and donated $10. 

That being said, something crazy did come of the ice bucket aw shenanagans. California is having a really bad draught. If a california resident partakes in the ice bucket challenge, they risk being fined $500 as part of the water conservation act. Rather than donate the $100, these people are now $400 in the hole. 

Those who dislike the AW quality of the challenge can definitely laugh at this article: http://dailycurrant.com/2014/08/15/california-fining-ice-bucket-challenge-participants-for-wasting-water/ 

Also remember, you don't have to donate more than once. So you are in the clear. Your friends who continue to nominate you and expect you to donate are doing it wrong. 
  • If you were to need an organ tomorrow you would be put on a list to receive an organ. If more people in the Nation were to sign up to be organ donors we could save so many lives. There are over 122,000 people on the transplant list right now. One person can donate to save 8 lives at their time of death. Therefore if we could raise awareness for organ donation and the transplant foundation more people would have that talk with their family members so they could become organ donors (because that little box you check on your license means nothing if your family doesn't approve) thus saving more lives. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you were to need an organ tomorrow you would be put on a list to receive an organ. If more people in the Nation were to sign up to be organ donors we could save so many lives. There are over 122,000 people on the transplant list right now. One person can donate to save 8 lives at their time of death. Therefore if we could raise awareness for organ donation and the transplant foundation more people would have that talk with their family members so they could become organ donors (because that little box you check on your license means nothing if your family doesn't approve) thus saving more lives. 
    That's great, but it still doesn't make it any more important an issue than ALS or any number of other conditions and diseases, and it doesn't make it more universal than them.

• I had the same understanding as @HuskyPuppy14. Once you've been nominated, you don't have to donate/dump a bucket of ice on your head a second time. I agree that is AW-ish. I will also admit that I did dump a bucket of ice water on my head and donated $10. 

That being said, something crazy did come of the ice bucket aw shenanagans. California is having a really bad draught. If a california resident partakes in the ice bucket challenge, they risk being fined $500 as part of the water conservation act. Rather than donate the $100, these people are now $400 in the hole. 

Those who dislike the AW quality of the challenge can definitely laugh at this article: http://dailycurrant.com/2014/08/15/california-fining-ice-bucket-challenge-participants-for-wasting-water/ 

Also remember, you don't have to donate more than once. So you are in the clear. Your friends who continue to nominate you and expect you to donate are doing it wrong. 
    This is not true.  The Daily Currant,which is a satirical newspaper like the Onion, first published an article saying that, and it's been picked up by a number of people who don't know it's satire and repeated as though it were true.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.  My uncle/godfather died of ALS so I'm very glad about the increased awareness of the disease and the increased money for research, but I also live in California so I'm not a fan of the waste of water.

• More or less important, of course not. Less in need, absolutely. ALS is a rare disease that targets about 5,000 Americans. There are diseases that target enormous groups of Americans every single day. These causes need a cure immediately and if their usually donated funds are being cannibalized due to a sensationalized fad I find that unfortunate. The ALS foundation has recently been called out for fudging their numbers against the CDC who says they actually only have about 2500 victims. 16 million dollars for between 2500-5,000 people in comparison to diseases that kill 10s of thousands more people? I'm not being inhumane, I'm being logical.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    According to DonateLife, this is not true. 

Can my family override my decision to donate?
    Once you sign up with the Donate Life DC registry, your donor designation grants authorization for organ and tissue recovery. Should you be in the position to donate, your next of kin will be presented with documentation of your registration but will not have the power to override your decision. It is important to tell your next of kin or healthcare power of attorney of your wishes so that they may be prepared to cooperate with the health care team about your medical history.

• I agree the awareness and increased donations are great, but I also agree that shaming people or badgering them about it is uncool. 

Scribe, I would message her privately and ask her to stop. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    I agree the awareness and increased donations are great, but I also agree that shaming people or badgering them about it is uncool. 

Scribe, I would message her privately and ask her to stop. 
    Ditto. 

One of my FI's friends has nominated him. He's not going to do it. But now his friend is commenting on my page to remind FI that he was nominated. Uh, no. 
  • theexactleetheexactlee member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    Sorry I did mean to say annualy I think it's obvious I did my research and simply mistyped.

As far as the organ donation, yes your family member can absolutely make it impossible to harvest your organs. They can refuse certain medical treatments, keep you on a ventilator until your organs are deemed worthless and other things that in no way actually refuses your right to donate your organs but ensures you will not be able to do so.

If you have the conversation with them ahead of time about exactly what your expectations are in the case of your hospitalization in a near death situation it could help. Especially if you draw it up in a legal document that you and your spouse or family member who will oversee your healthcare can sign.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards