Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Question about inviting people one month before the wedding

I had this friend that I met in first grade and we were best friends for many years. We lost touch when we were about 15 and did not reconnect until very recently at 27 y. o. I have been hanging out with her and her two friends and we have become close again. She mentioned she wanted to celebrate my bachelorette activities with me. I explained that I was flattered, but I did not want her to put so much work into things for me because unfortunately my wedding guest list was pretty locked in and at the very top for a while before she even came back in to my life. I explained that I would feel terrible for having her do that without giving her and her friends and invite too. She responded that it didn't matter to her whether they were invited or not. They still wanted to do this for me, wedding invite or not. She was not offended at all. As I have been getting RSVPs back I have discovered that we now have room to invite them. I want to extend an invitation to all of them but I am worried that I will offend them for being an afterthought or not good enough to have made the first round. Like I said, the list was already pretty much final by the time she came back around and she was not offended about not receiving an invite even after celebrating at my party. Is it still okay to invite her and the others without seeming like an ass? Or is it better to just not say anything?

Best Answers

Re: Question about inviting people one month before the wedding

• Options
    This is B listing which is rude. I would decline the bachelorette and see if you could hang out just as friends instead of having it be a pre-wedding party.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think this is fine. It's not like you really B-Listed these people, they didn't make the guest list because at the time they were not your nearest and dearest. You have been honest about the situation up to now, so I think it's fine. The only caution I would give you is to still leave yourself room budget and capacity-wise. I had several people who declined our invitation but then were able to make it at the last minute.
    I respectfully disagree. This is B-listing. They didn't "make the cut" when the guest list was drafted. If they receive an invitation now, that is the definition of B-listing.
  • Options
    I guess I just think OP didn't PLAN on B-listing. It wasn't her goal to "free up" invites for second-class guests. These girls weren't close friends at the time. They are now.
  • Options

Yeah but just because you don't plan on doing something doesn't make it less rude. I guess I just don't do B-listing in any form. Personal preference I guess.

I'm sure OP will invite them and they will be ok with it.

• Options
    I have to agree with SaraBrideSoon.  Intentional or not this is the definition of a B-List.  I guess this is where the saying, "There is an exception to every rule" may come into play.  Personally I would probably invite them since they are already aware of the situation, but I would still feel like its a bit of a B-Listing.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I started hanging out with someone after invites went out for our wedding. We quickly become very close and they were integrated into my close circle of friends. We invited them, I don't think of it as B listing bc I had no intention of inviting them bc I didn't really know them when I sent the invites. I say if your relationship suddenly developed in the time since invites went out it's not B listing. To have invited them before would have seemed odd bc the relationship hadn't really started.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I second @photokitty. OP really didn't have a relationship with the friend at the time invites went out, nor did she even know the other two girls. OP didn't have their names sitting on a waitlist, ready to be invited once declines came in. THAT would be B-Listing, and I don't see this as such.
  • Options
    What @photokitty said. It's not a B list because they were never on the list to begin with, these are people you've recently reconnected with after invites were already sent. Others are more etiquette savvy than I am, but I really think that you're in the clear on this one!
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Hey everyone! Thanks for the replies. It gave me a lot to think about. I decided to risk it and I invited them. I explained pretty much what they already knew. I had my guest list pretty much at max and then a few months later I met them. I also explained that it is not my intention to offend them and I just really wanted them there now that I know that there is room to have them. They were all excited and happy to say yes. They said they could not possibly be mad or offended because I have been honest from the very beginning. I never strung them along saying "maybe." I said this is how it is and I hope you all understand, and they did. They said that they were surprised to be invited because they knew the situation, but that they are so glad I did. They can't wait to celebrate with me. So to anyone that may ever be in a similar situation, know that in this situation the risk was worth it. I get to have important people at my wedding and they were completely understanding and happy to be invited. Just be honest about everything from the beginning and I think you can avoid any issues. Thanks again everyone! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards