Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake Vent..kind of ..Thoughts?

We are having a laid back wedding.. My FI didn't really want the whole reception part of a wedding but to make me and some family happy he agreed :o) We are thinking of a small 2 tiered cake for him and I to cut. And sheet cakes for the rest.. Him and his family are BIG BIG college football fans. I thought it would be fun to have the sheet cakes decorated to represent the team they all love. (I could care less if it goes with our "theme") To me it's his wedding to if this makes him smile then so be it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I told the women we were thinking of making the cake this and she responded with.. umm this isn't his high school graduation it's a wedding your guests wont get it. First I was mad she said it wasn't his high school graduation lol it was my idea not his.. 2nd.. yes it is a wedding joining two people and families one family happens to be MAJOR fans of college football.. why can't we celebrate that too? 3rd.. With 75% of the guest list being his side.. due to the sheer size of their family I am sure they will "get it".... 4th... Yes it is a wedding... but everyone's wedding is different there isn't a right and wrong way to plan or decorate for your wedding..

Anyway she was pretty adamant we shouldn't do the sheet cakes in the football theme. I just looked at them as a grooms cake.. but she said no. I know the two cakes wouldn't "match" or even go together but I think it would make everyone smile... thoughts???

Re: Cake Vent..kind of ..Thoughts?

• Options
    I think it's fine. It's pretty much the same thing as having a groom's cake. All of my male friends from my college had something relating to our school as their grooms cakes. Also, many people from my school play the fight song at their reception. Just call it a groom's cake and you're probably good to go. If they don't like it, they don't have to eat the cake.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    Seems unnecessary to me. The point of sheet cakes is you cut them in the back so people don't really see them. Then serve them. 

hmm I've never seen them cut in back they've always been on the table off to the side of the main cake.. But I see your point.
  • Options
    At weddings, sheet cakes are usually cut and plated as individual slices on a table. I think this is why your cake person responded as such. 

Could you maybe decorate your 2 tier cake with some college football stuff instead?

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    At weddings, sheet cakes are usually cut and plated as individual slices on a table. I think this is why your cake person responded as such. 

Could you maybe decorate your 2 tier cake with some college football stuff instead?
    Could be...but she laughed and was almost rude about it. So I took offense to it.. No Fi doesn't want the main cake to be the football stuff.. :)
  • Options
    My first thought - find a different baker!!! The baker is there to DO THE JOB, not critique you on your choices. As long as all guests are being served the same portion of cake (i.e. I would not serve the 2-tier unless your "sheets" are the same number of layers/fillings), her judgmental nose can stay out of it, if she chooses not to take the order and you've got to find someone else, so be it. "This is our order, take it or leave it!" is the attitude to take. Yes, I'm a little snarky on this one, but only because it's one thing to suggest that you put football edible images on each portion, it's another to totally side-eye your ideas with a crinkled lip KWIM.. For my brother's wedding, instead of "sheets" being single-layer, they were filled to the same layers and fillings as everything else... So being out on the cake table for everyone to see is what took place. As long as your portions are the same for all guests - have the sheets decorated how you want!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards