Wedding Etiquette Forum

Flaky with RSVPs

I'm a little frustrated. The RSVP date for my shower that my maid of honor is throwing was on August 2nd. Shower is on August 23rd. I found out today that two of my friends made last minute plans to show up, but my MOH already gave the head count to the venue. These are friends that show up to things when/if they feel like it, but I thought a shower 3 hours out of the way would be one of those events that they would actually RSVP yes or no to. 

When the RSVP date passed and my MOH followed up with them, they told her they probably wouldn't make it.  I'm going to ask my MOH to check with the venue to see whether they can accommodate two more... I just wish people would RSVP on time or stick to their original plans. Do I have a right to be annoyed or should I just be happy that people are going out of their way to come to my shower? 

Re: Flaky with RSVPs

• You should let your MOH handle it. It's her call if she wants to add people after the head count was due, she is the hostess. Off these friends contacted you directly then you should refer them back the MOH.

I would be annoyed with their antics, but I would still let my MOH handle it since its her call, not yours. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Ditto. Annoying, yes, but not your problem to solve.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • annoying?  yes...but let your MOH handle it.  Also, why was the RSVP date 20+days before the event?
  • annoying?  yes...but let your MOH handle it.  Also, why was the RSVP date 20+days before the event?
    I don't know, I didn't send the invitations or determine the RSVP deadline. Isn't a 2 to 3 week deadline typical, though? 

Either way, I did tell her about it and she said there's room for them. Luckily. 
  • kns1988 said:
    annoying?  yes...but let your MOH handle it.  Also, why was the RSVP date 20+days before the event?
    I don't know, I didn't send the invitations or determine the RSVP deadline. Isn't a 2 to 3 week deadline typical, though? 

Either way, I did tell her about it and she said there's room for them. Luckily. 
    Just don't let them pull that on you for the wedding.  I'd be clear with anyone responding "maybe" or "possibly" that you must know by _____ date or unfortunately there will not be a space/meal for them. 
  • huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    You know, I wished I had told the venue I had my sister's shower at a lower number of people than the number that RSVPd. We had a couple no shows, and there wasn't a seating arrangement so it didn't matter. So I had to pay for 30 people when only 28 showed up.

They counted the people and would have charged my credit card if extra people showed up than what I had told them.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not your problem to solve.

Your friends are rude though.

• kns1988 said:
    annoying?  yes...but let your MOH handle it.  Also, why was the RSVP date 20+days before the event?

For a shower, no, that's not typical. In fact I've never seen a shower invitation with an actual deadline on it, just a number to RSVP and sometimes the line 'regrets only' to indicate that you only have to respond if you're not attending.

2-3 weeks before is normal for a wedding RSVP.
  • scribe95 said:

In my area showers are done in people's homes and you can tell the person up to the day before etc. But I gather in other areas showers are much larger and in restaurants etc. I assume this is one of those. I still think RSVP'ing that early for a shower is a tad ridiculous.

This is my area too

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In my area showers are done in people's homes and you can tell the person up to the day before etc. But I gather in other areas showers are much larger and in restaurants etc. I assume this is one of those. I still think RSVP'ing that early for a shower is a tad ridiculous.
    This is my area too
    There wasn't an RSVP option (at all) my shower invites.  Sometimes that is how it is done around here.  
  • It's at a winery. They've changed their RSVP back to no now, so... there's that.
  • huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    kns1988 said:

For a shower, no, that's not typical. In fact I've never seen a shower invitation with an actual deadline on it, just a number to RSVP and sometimes the line 'regrets only' to indicate that you only have to respond if you're not attending.

2-3 weeks before is normal for a wedding RSVP.
    Most of the showers I've been to have an RSVP date of 2-3 weeks. They usually are in restaurants, where you need to give them a head count.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards