Wisconsin
Options

Outdoor Reception Fears in WI

My wedding date is August 20th, 2011. I cannot decide between 2 reception sites. The one reception site requires it to be outside in a tent with the walls/windows. I know that this would protect me from a lot of wind and rain BUT, WI weather is unpredictable (especially in the northern areas) and I just fear that it will be a chilly, rainy, wet, thunderstorm warning kind of night. I don't want to worry about the worst but I feel like I have to plan for the worst. Will these tents do a pretty good job of keeping things dry for my guests? If it does rain, will my guests' shoes/feet be soaked even in the tent because the ground will get wet. Anyone else planning and outdoor reception? If so, how do you get past or decide on whether or not to have it in a tent or at a building? Thanks for anyone's input!

Re: Outdoor Reception Fears in WI

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand your fears of having an outdoor wedding! Our reception venue offers a free outdoor space for your ceremony but I am worried about the weather. FI and are are still thinking about having the ceremony their....

But I think a tent would be fine in case it rains in the morning or is a little chilly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You live in WI

I am getting married 9-10-11 and I would never do an outdoor reception with the unpredictability of the weather.  It's your call but as fast as the weather can change I opted for the safe route.
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do they have a back-up indoors location? 

Could you rent heaters if it was chilly? 

I honestly think you'll more likely have a super-hot day :)  Is the tent safe in thunderstorms? 

Have your raised your concerns to the site?

You could post on the Outdoor Weddings board too and see what they have to say.  It get's more traffic than this one

EDIT: I am having an outside ceremony in October, but they only way I could do that (ie not go crazy with worry) was if there was an inside back-up.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PP said it best, have you raised your concerns w/ the venue?  They may be pushing the tent because of previous experience that they've had, and they can help with a lot of these questions.

If it's a chilly night, I wouldn't imagine that you'd need heaters.  If you have a tent with walls, the food and all the people will keep the temps comfortable, especially if you are dancing.

When you do a tent set up, don't they usually include the floors?  I always thought there was a floor that was set up similar to a dance floor but for the entire space ... maybe I am wrong.

Tents will probably also help control the bugs, we all know how bad WI was this summer with mosquitoes!

At the same time, the question becomes: for an outdoor reception where you have to set up a tent, with walls, etc. when does it get to the point where you just built a temporary room outside?  It seems that this would negate the point of the outdoor reception and you may get better aestetics with an indoor location.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh boy... mosquitos... humidity....winds...

Wisconsin is just so unpredictable!
  • Options
    preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh...and flooding...tornadoes...

...or it could be lovely....  :)
  • Options
    breannalynnbreannalynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With how unpredictable the weather is in Wisconsin, I've chosen to have our reception inside.  I think that planning a wedding is stressful enough when you don't have to think about the weather.  If you're already worrying about this it's likely you will continue to stress about this until your wedding!  But, if you think you'll regret not having it outside then I think that is the best option for you.  I'd recommend getting more information about the tents from the venue before making your final decision!  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards