Chit Chat

What things would you ask your grandparents if you got the chance?

2»

Re: What things would you ask your grandparents if you got the chance?

• CMGragain said:
    I am the family genealogy diva.  I have researched both my family and DH's family history, which really helps explain a lot of the craziness. 
    Genealogy is an addicting hobby, and once the bug bites, it never stops.  I am a member of the DAR (The Daughters of the American Revolution), an early feminist group that promotes patriotism, historic preservation, and genealogical research.
    My advice - go for the information while you can!

Much of the wedding tradition I learned was from my paternal grandmother, born in 1897.  Definitely pre-wedding industry!
    Genealogy can bite people in the butt, though. It's how my half-sister found out about my existence--our father had never told her he had another daughter!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I do know that my maternal grandpa and his brother went to save my grandma from her abusive first husband at shotgun point, but I don't know how they knew each other before then. So scandalous for the 40s!

My paternal great-grandparents were divorced too. Good thing I don't think that shit's hereditary!

• When my grandpa had early-stage dementia, my mom got him to write down a bunch of anecdotes before he got to the point where he didn't remember (he actually hasn't gotten to that point yet, but we didn't know that at the time). They're really interesting, and lots of other family members have asked for copies.

• I do know that my maternal grandpa and his brother went to save my grandma from her abusive first husband at shotgun point, but I don't know how they knew each other before then. So scandalous for the 40s! My paternal great-grandparents were divorced too. Good thing I don't think that shit's hereditary!
    One of the things you learn in genealogy is not to make judgements, especially about things that occured in a different time and place.  Do I judge my ancestors for being southern slave owners?  No.  Do I judge unwed mothers?  No. 
    It often does help you understand what made your family the way it is, though.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

I do know that my maternal grandpa and his brother went to save my grandma from her abusive first husband at shotgun point, but I don't know how they knew each other before then. So scandalous for the 40s!

My paternal great-grandparents were divorced too. Good thing I don't think that shit's hereditary!

One of the things you learn in genealogy is not to make judgements, especially about things that occured in a different time and place.  Do I judge my ancestors for being southern slave owners?  No.  Do I judge unwed mothers?  No. 
    It often does help you understand what made your family the way it is, though.

Oh I don't judge them for it at all, besides the abusers. I'm actually really proud to come from a long line of women who were strong enough to leave, and men who did the right thing. (My lineage goes through the second marriages.) I just know people like to claim that if you come from divorce you're likely to repeat it, but I don't subscribe to that notion.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards