Flowers

Help Please... What size/shape vase to use for centerpieces?

Hello,

I am really hoping someone can help me out. I am doing my own centerpieces and have no idea what size/shape vase to buy. My tables are 60” round and my flowers will be hydrangeas and roses. Where I am stuck is, I am not sure if I should use a square, fish bowl or short cylinder vase. Also, I have no idea what size vase to get. I don’t want my centerpieces to get “lost” on the table or be too overpowering.

Below is a pic of my inspiration flowers for my centerpieces as well as the vases I am debating between.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Re: Help Please... What size/shape vase to use for centerpieces?

• I personally hate fishbowls so I would either go with the cylinder or the square.  I wouldn't go bigger then an 8in vase because you have to take into account that circumference of your flowers will be larger then that.

You could also do a 6in vase and then do three 4in vases around it, plus some scattered votives.

What I would do if I were you would be to go to a craft store and buy some different size vases, then purchase some flowers from the food store or a florist and play around with it.  See what you like the best and go from there.

• kmwmkmwm member
    First Comment
    Thank you!

I think your right. I need to do some experimenting with different sizes.

Do you think the square shape would look odd on a round table?  

• kmwm said:
    Thank you!

I think your right. I need to do some experimenting with different sizes.

Do you think the square shape would look odd on a round table?  

Not at all.  The vase really isn't going to show that much so it really comes down to your personal preference in regards to shape.

I used to work for a florist and personally I found arranging in a square vase was a bit easier then a round one.  Maybe because you could sit some of the flowers/stems in the corners and it then provides a nice solid base for the other flowers.  Or maybe I am just weird lol!  But we did a lot of flower arrangements like the one you pictured for weddings and we did both round and square regardless of the table shape.

• I vote square. And ditto Maggie on the size. The larger the mouth the more flowers you'll need to use to fill it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Ours will be roses and hydrangea, as well. We are using square vases-- we have this picture to our florist as an example :) we, too, have 60" rounds and I think they'll look great!
  • kmwmkmwm member
    First Comment
    edited August 2014
    Thanks everyone! Alikat9614 - Did your florist tell you what sized square vase she is using?
  • I prefer the square vases as well.
  • kmwm said:
    Thanks everyone! Alikat9614 - Did your florist tell you what sized square vase she is using?
    I believe they are 4" by 4" vases. We didn't want anything to big (or tall). They'll be on mirrors with small votive candles around them :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards