Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I can do you one better than a cash bar

Just found out that a wedding I am in will not be having a cash bar.  Instead each guest who wishes to drink will receive a wristband.  The wristband is good for two drinks.  After that you are cut off (literally--they cut off your wrist band) and you will not be served any more.  I think this is only for alcohol, but I'm not positive.  I don't drink like a fish, but I would like more than two glasses of wine for a four hour reception.  Does anyone else think this is crazy?

Re: I can do you one better than a cash bar

• Options
    Yes that is crazy.  And it makes it seem like you are going into a bar or a club when wrist bands are slapped on you.

• Options
    Eeek...how did they convey this to the guests?

Night club wrist bands...just what I always pictured in my wedding album...
  • Options

Seriously though, that ain't cute.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Besides the obvious horrors presented here, must be a super small reception with one bartender?

Because how do they know you got your 2 drinks? Do they hole-punch the wristband after your first drink? Do they mark an X on it with a sharpie that is sure to get all over your skin?

Does is spontaneously combust after you order your second drink?

• Options
    KayDeee said:
    Besides the obvious horrors presented here, must be a super small reception with one bartender?

Because how do they know you got your 2 drinks? Do they hole-punch the wristband after your first drink? Do they mark an X on it with a sharpie that is sure to get all over your skin?

I have no idea how they plan to execute this.  Bride's parents didn't want to pay for people who weren't going to drink, hence the wristband idea.  

Also, no.  200 person reception.  

• Options
    KayDeee said:

***** SITB  *****************

::snort::

I was thinking the same thing.     

That is pretty bad.      I do not get the line of thinking that 2 drinks it good enough.   Why not 3 or 5?   Why are these types of things always 2?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    KayDeee said:

That is pretty bad.      I do not get the line of thinking that 2 drinks it good enough.   Why not 3 or 5?   Why are these types of things always 2?

Because obviously, everyone gets drunk after two drinks.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    KayDeee said:

Because obviously, everyone gets drunk after two drinks.
    I always wonder what these people know about the body's ability to metabolize drinking.   
  • Options
    KayDeee said:

Maybe they have wristbands like the ones my college used on Mayfest, the day of skipping classes/giant block party/giant concert/massive drink-a-thon. The school set up two giant tents in a park on campus, one served free food all day (burgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken kabobs, etc) and the other tent served free beer. In order to get beer, you had to show your ID obviously and then they gave you a plastic wristband that had 4 little tabs attached to it. With each beer, the server would detach one of your tabs. Once all 4 tabs were taken, you weren't allowed any more beer (unless you left the park and went to the giant block party and just helped yourself to the generous offerings of the frats and other students lol)

• Options
    I can get drunk on two drinks. 

But that would mean not eating all day. I wonder if they also plan to make your plate burst into pieces if you try to get seconds. 
  • Options
    And if you want more you just don't get more?   At all?

I guess the one thing I loathe more than cheapness is cheapness AND treating me like a child.
  • Options
    KayDeeeKayDeee member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    I messed up the quoting, ignore this :)
  • Options
    KayDeeeKayDeee member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    KayDeee said:

Maybe they have wristbands like the ones my college used on Mayfest, the day of skipping classes/giant block party/giant concert/massive drink-a-thon. The school set up two giant tents in a park on campus, one served free food all day (burgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken kabobs, etc) and the other tent served free beer. In order to get beer, you had to show your ID obviously and then they gave you a plastic wristband that had 4 little tabs attached to it. With each beer, the server would detach one of your tabs. Once all 4 tabs were taken, you weren't allowed any more beer (unless you left the park and went to the giant block party and just helped yourself to the generous offerings of the frats and other students lol)

Oh my, while functional for picnic, that um, going to look pretty odd at a wedding reception. Hope they come in the bride's colors! Also, this creates so much more drama than necessary. Like, if they don't want to pay for non-drinkers, are they carding at the door, asking people if they plan to drink or not? If yes, grab a wrist band, if not no wrist band? And you're not planning on drinking, you could still lie and say yes, get a wristband then just order drinks for your friends who ARE drinking, right? and how many of the heavy drinkers are gonna be hounding the light/non-drinkers with drinks left with, "are you gonna use that? are you gonna use that? Can I have it?" I could see a lot of drink deals being brokered if people are stuck there 4 hours. Just so much crazy here!
  • Options
    Well hopefully they will color coordinate the wrist bands to match their wedding colors.  I mean, they don't want to go full tacky now do they?

SITB:

They don't really have wedding colors.  There isn't even really a set theme.  

• Options
    Will all under age guests be marked with giant X's on their hands to insure there is no wristband swapping in the bathroom???
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

But that would mean not eating all day. I wonder if they also plan to make your plate burst into pieces if you try to get seconds. 
    If I drink beer I'm usually drunk before I finish the second one. 

We have a lot of drink ticket events at work. The people that want more than 2 drinks will get the drink tickets from people that don't drink. At the last event one of my coworkers ended up with 6 tickets. 

People can totally get around this wristband/2 drinks thing and get drunk.

Anniversary
  • Options

We have a lot of drink ticket events at work. The people that want more than 2 drinks will get the drink tickets from people that don't drink. At the last event one of my coworkers ended up with 6 tickets. 

At work I've never had an issue getting more tickets.  

I can't see there being any leftover tickets at any family event.   I always chuckle at people who say they have an older crowd who do not drink much.  Yeah, my family is the opposite.  I've gotten a buzz drinking with my 86 year old grandma many times before she died.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Just don't serve alcohol at all. It isn't nearly as bad as this tacky ass crap.
  • Options

**SIMFB**
    And I totally would, just to be spiteful.

Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

lyndausvi said:

At work I've never had an issue getting more tickets.  

I can't see there being any leftover tickets at any family event.   I always chuckle at people who say they have an older crowd who do not drink much.  Yeah, my family is the opposite.  I've gotten a buzz drinking with my 86 year old grandma many times before she died.
    We had a family get together once, it was a fundraiser/memorial shin-dig for another family member who had passed away from cancer so they had a silent auction. Needless to say, I have one older aunt has to be somewhere between 60s-70s who goes to church every Sunday, is very prim and proper, but when you get the drinks in her, everything changes and she started dropping the f-bomb, and started telling perverted jokes, and you just couldn't keep this lady quiet. My mom finally had to pay her tab, and drive her home as her own son wouldn't take her home. She was even ticked because someone had paid for her tab at the bar without her knowledge, we later told her it was my mom. She's feisty!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I mean, is it terrible if I wear one of these for the reception?  

I'd really like to keep it classy.  

ETA: New picture because old one didn't work. Also, did you know they had a male version of this, "The Beer Belly?"
    I'm SO tempted to buy this for football games this year...
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I hope the wristbands come with a poem.  Written on a chalkboard.
  • Options

I mean, is it terrible if I wear one of these for the reception?  

I'd really like to keep it classy.  

ETA: New picture because old one didn't work. Also, did you know they had a male version of this, "The Beer Belly?"
    I'm SO tempted to buy this for football games this year...
    I just had the awesome thought of using one of these for camping.  Sports bra AND a cup you can't lose or spill?  Sign me up.    

• Options
    The liquid might keep your boobs cool. Though your boobs might make the liquid warm.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards