Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Does everyone really save the top cake tier?

I have a cake question. Does everyone really save the top tier of their cake? Where? Just in your freezer taking up space for like, a year? Does it even taste good after a year? This seems so unnecessary to me and I'm thinking about telling my caterer to just cut it up and serve it along with the rest of the thing so it's one less thing I have to worry about getting home and not melting and sticking in my already overflowing freezer. The only weird thing about this is that we made our top tier our favorite flavors (coconut cake with pineapple cream cheese filling), while we made the rest of the cake totally normal flavors (chocolate and lemon cake with strawberry filling). Is it rude to cut up and offer the top tier if there's only, say, 20 pieces of weirdo-delicious coconut pineapple cake?

Re: Does everyone really save the top cake tier?

• Options
    No. We did not save the top of our cake. I made our wedding cake, so this year I just made another mini one. It was fresh and delicious. 

Even if we had a bakery cake, I wouldn't have saved the top layer because I don't think cake is all that delicious after it's been frozen. That's just me personally though.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Fi wants to, but Our freezer is stuffed as it is.  We would like to get a stand alone freezer (or whatever you call them) and then we would save the top teir in that, I guess.
  • Options
    We didn't.  Well we saved the leftovers but then ate them when we got back from our HM a week and a half after our wedding (the top had been sliced and wrapped individually and then as we wanted a piece we took a slice out to defrost the night before).

On our first anniversary we went to the cupcake place where we got our cupcakes/top tier from and just bought an assortment of flavors that we had at our wedding.

• Options
    We aren't saving ours either. Our bakery is going to make us a fresh mini-cake of the same flavor on our anniversary.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    We are not saving ours.  The thought of eating a year old cake gives me the heeby geebies.
  • Options

Exactly! We can totally go back and get cupcakes from our baker. She'll be there for the long haul. Ok, this makes me feel better about nixing this tradition.

What do you guys think about putting out the top tier if it's a different flavor than the rest, and there'd only be a few pieces (like 15? 20? I'm not sure)? People usually aren't clawing their way to get to coconut (although I would). But it is weird to set out 15 pieces of coconut and 160 pieces of chocolate and lemon? Or am I way overthinking and NO ONE will ever notice?

• Options
    We aren't saving ours, I'm all for slicing and serving to save money!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are not saving ours.  The thought of eating a year old cake gives me the heeby geebies.
    Right??? Such a waste of delicious cake! Plus, I feel like the top layer is really big!! That's a lot of cake to get freezer burn... plus I'm excited about the delicious coconut/pineapple flavor and I want to eat it at my wedding dammit.
  • Options
    We saved ours, but we wrapped it really, really well and had the freezer space for it. It was delicious, surprisingly. As good as it was on our wedding day.
  • Options
    We did and it was delicious....until I flipped it into the kitchen sink by accident. 
  • Options
    I think since it's such an unusual flavor combination, you're safe to serve it even though it's a small amount of it.

We'll be ordering a new cake or cupcakes to celebrate our anniversary. Several of the bakeries I looked into will make you a free cake on your anniversary, but we chose one that didn't. Whatever, cake is worth it.

• Options
    We aren't saving ours either. Our bakery is going to make us a fresh mini-cake of the same flavor on our anniversary.
    Ours did the same thing. 
  • Options
    LizzieyounceLizzieyounce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, the lady that did our cakes (a dear friend, and they were a gift to us) walked me through the process. The key(especially with fondant) is to defrost in the fridge, then the next day you unwrap all the layers of wrap, but do not unbox it, keep it in the fridge. The next day, you unbox it and leave it out. The fondant stayed intact and the cake wasn't soggy at all. Now I want more of that cake!
  • Options
    We didn't.    Our wedding was OOT (via air), then we left directly on our 2.5 week HM.   I doubt we would have if it was an in town wedding

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We're getting cupcakes, so I think we're probably just going to get some more cupcakes for our anniversary. Or maybe just one cupcakes (or a dozen all for me) because FI isn't big on sweets.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    We saved the top tier.  We wrapped it really well and it actually was pretty good a year later!
  • Options
    We saved ours. I hadn't planned on it but my husband wanted to. I barely got to try any at the wedding with all that was going on and I was ready to just dig in when we got home the next day lol. I wrapped it in multiple layers of saran wrap and aluminum foil and we have a second freezer so I have the room for it. I have no idea yet if it is still going to taste good...i'll find out in another 7 months!
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    We saved ours - and my Dad wrapped it insanely well. It tasted amazing a year later. I was shocked. We ate that thing for a week. If you have freezer space I say do it. It was a fun little thing for us to experience together a year later.
    This is exactly what we did. I didn't even know we had it until a couple months before our first anniversary. Mom had wrapped it and stored it in her freezer for us and returned it to us in time to thaw and eat. Ours was red velvet with cream cheese icing and none the worse for being frozen for a year. Though it was small. I think maybe 8-10 slices?
  • Options
    We saved our second tier, as if fit in a box better. 

We never wrapped it, it's covered in fondant. I feel like if it tastes bad, H and I will go pick up a small cake from the baker since they recently started selling small cakes.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Our caterer boxed the top tier of our cake for us, but we knew there was no way it was going to fit in our freezer with the way I stockpile. We ate as much of the cake as we could for a week (along with the six trays of yummy leftovers from the reception), and saved a small piece. Wrapped in plastic/aluminum/plastic/aluminum/Ziploc bag. Our anniversary falls during a holiday weekend next year so we're not even sure we'll be around to eat the cake.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    For budget reasons, I went the route of having a nice bakery make me a sheet cake, so I don't have a top tier.  After hearing that many of you still had tasty cake a year later, maybe I'll have someone cut and wrap a little hunk to stick in the freezer! 
  • Options
    Like @southernbelle0915, I made our cake and will make a mini cake for our anniversary. 
  • Options
    We aren't saving ours-- our baker said to come back in a year and she'd make us a 6" round for no extra charge. 2 weeks till I get to eat the white chocolate cake with lemon curd filling! A year and 2 weeks till I get to eat it again :-)
  • Options
    Eh, I was talking to a friend of mine a couple weeks ago, and we got around to this subject. I told her that no, we wouldn't be - frozen cake wouldn't be as good as fresh, and besides I knew FI wouldn't go for it from a food-safety standpoint, even though I hadn't asked him yet. She didn't believe me, and when we went to meet FI after he got off, she asked him if we were going to save the top tier.

He said that I probably wouldn't like frozen cake, and from a food-safety standpoint it didn't seem like a good idea since anything can go wrong with a freezer.

I was like,

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We still have our top tier, but it's fake. I can see both sides.
  • Options
    We saved it. It was gross a year later! LOL With that said, I am still glad we did it. It was a fun tradition.

on a related note, our bakery did have a deal where if you took a pro pic of the cake, they's send you a mini cake on your anniversary..I never did get aroudn to doing it, so we never got it! LOL
  • Options
    We had cupcakes and cake pops at our wedding, so we saved a few of those. Our baker told us how to store them so they wouldn't dry out or taste weird. Our first anniversary isn't until late October, but I'm looking forward to eating them again. :)
  • Options
    You could save a slice so you can say you did the tradition.  I'm just going back to the bakery ours cake from and getting a mini for next year.
  • Options
    We saved ours, put it in the freezer and ate it on our anniversary...cake was still friggin delicious...HOWEVER, i ended up puking by the end of the day...so prob not worth doing LOL
  • Options
    jenijoyk said:

Exactly! We can totally go back and get cupcakes from our baker. She'll be there for the long haul. Ok, this makes me feel better about nixing this tradition.

What do you guys think about putting out the top tier if it's a different flavor than the rest, and there'd only be a few pieces (like 15? 20? I'm not sure)? People usually aren't clawing their way to get to coconut (although I would). But it is weird to set out 15 pieces of coconut and 160 pieces of chocolate and lemon? Or am I way overthinking and NO ONE will ever notice?

My top tier is a coconut cake as well!!

We are doing 5 different tiers and serving them all.  Obviously the bottom tier will have the largest amount of individual servings,  but that's just the way it goes.  I think there will be enough dessert- including all of the cookies and cupcakes that ppl are making- for everyone to choose from.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards