Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Navy groomsmen - what color maids?

My fiancee and his guys all want to wear navy suits, which I think will look great. I'm struggling to come up with a color to go with it for bridesmaids. We were thinking of a lighter purple, mint, or something like that. We are having a summer wedding outdoors so I'm hesitant to go with anything too neutral. Thought about a blush color too but that always seems to come across a little too preppy/nautical. HELP!!

Re: Navy groomsmen - what color maids?

• Options
    Yellow goes great with Navy too. It's the Navy that will theme it nautical, not necessarily the color it's paired with. Anything withing the pastels will complement with Navy.
  • Options
    EricaJ84 said:
    My fiancee and his guys all want to wear navy suits, which I think will look great. I'm struggling to come up with a color to go with it for bridesmaids. We were thinking of a lighter purple, mint, or something like that. We are having a summer wedding outdoors so I'm hesitant to go with anything too neutral. Thought about a blush color too but that always seems to come across a little too preppy/nautical. HELP!!

Really any color goes with navy, except brown or black. Shop with your BM's and have them try on many different color dresses. See what everyone likes. Btw, I love navy suits on guys. Still formal but much livelier than charcoal or black. Also wearable 365 days of the year. Good choice.
  • Options
    Yep, navy is a neutral so anything you'd like can go well.

You could do a darker shade of pink, an aqua, yellow (though yellow is hard for a lot of women to pull off), a bright lime green - navy pairs really beautifully with bright colors for a summer wedding.
  • Options
    We are doing navy vest/pants with shades of aqua/teal for our maids and peach as an accent color. I LOVE navy and yellow add some grey in there and I think it looks super chic :) I think pinks and navy look great together too! We decided by starting with my fave color (teal) and his (navy). They went well together already so we didn't have to figure out much. Maybe pair it with your fave color (or shades of) and see how it works :)
  • Options
    Almost any colour would work.  Below are pictures of bridesmaids in different colours next to groomsmen in navy.
    Mint:
    Austin wedding || Katherine O'Brien
    Blush:
    Black:
    imageIvory:
    The Wedding Party
    Navy:
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    Anything goes with a neutral navy suit except brown.  A good blue (navy) suit used to be the first and most basic suit a man bought.  It was a wardrobe staple in the old days.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I love coral & navy together!
  • Options
    My favorite navy combos are

Navy and blush
    Navy and yellow
    Navy and lime or bright green
  • Options
    Our situation was a but different since the groomsmen were in black tuxes, but they had navy vests and bow ties and whatnot. My maids were in lavender and the combo was lovely!
  • Options
    I think Navy groomsmen w/ Champagne Bridesmaids would look super classy, but thats just me!

• Options
    I really like the navy blush/ navy champagne looks but thats just my preference.  A nice light shade of anything will look amazing against the navy so really you have options.  What is your favorite color??
  • Options
    You could do pastels or you could do jewel tones.  But really any color goes well with navy since navy is a neutral.  And honestly, just because they are wearing navy colored suits it does not mean that your wedding will look nautical.

• Options
    cafarriecafarrie member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    we did: 
    Navy suits, crisp bright white shirts, gold ties for guys
    Long, navy chiffon Calvin Klein dresses with one gold beaded strap for girls
    My dress was a true bright white

The navy's didn't match exactly (which is good) but it was gorgeous in the photos.  3 of my 5 bridesmaids commented after that they were really happy we chose a darker color for them 1) it was more flattering on everyone's skin tone 2) the pictures looked classic and beautiful 3) they weren't worried about sweating :)

Edit: our wedding was in July!
  • Options
    Our wedding colors were ivory, navy and an accent color of kermit green. 

That said, I think green dresses would look pretty. Also, I think any shade of pink would look really good too. As PPs said, navy is a neutral as far as men's suits go, so you can pretty much go any direction you want. Google images is your friend as you try to imagine what things will look like.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards