New Jersey

Wedding Venue Trouble

Hey guys! 

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a reasonably priced venue for a guest list of about 75 folks. I don't know that many people and I'm still trying to pay off student loans.

Please help!!!! 

Re: Wedding Venue Trouble

• What area of NJ are you looking for the venue to be in?  And where have you looked already?

Also, what do you consider to be reasonably priced?  Everyones idea of reasonably priced is most likely going to be different.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi, ohmrs2014! I was looking into Northern/Central New Jersey and trying not to go over $6,000 for the venue. 

Some of thes
  • Have you thought about non-traditional wedding venues?  
    Anniversary

• I was thinking about that but honestly don't know where to start.

I dont want to get married in a church so the ceremony site does not matter too much to me. Just somewhere I can decorate myself and make it look intimate. Just want a reception space that won't break my pockets. 
  • Does the $6,000 include food and drinks or just for the rental space?  Sorry for all the questions, but it'll help to know the details before giving suggestions.
    Anniversary

• Oh the questions are fine!

Yes, the $6,000 is for space, food and drinks. I just want something intimate and I don't have a huge guest list. I literally have 60 guests.

I am open to afternoon or evening.
  • Boulevard 572 in Kenilworth...love that place!!!
  • You could try the Chart House in Weehawken or the Crab House in Edgewater.  Both are along the Hudson River with fantastic views of the NYC skyline.  Both places have spaces on their second levels that you are able to rent out.  They are owned by the same company, The Chart House is more expensive than the Crab House, but the Crab House deals mainly with seafood, whereas the Chart House has more variety.
    Anniversary

• I was wondering if anyone has gone to The Brownstone and if its worth a try. Thoughts anyone?
  • I have been to The Brownstone for a few trickey trays and it was awful. The decor is dated, the food was bad, they have up to 5 events going on at 1 time and you have to drive through downtown Paterson to get there. I personally would not recommend it but that is just my opinion.
  • I was wondering if anyone has gone to The Brownstone and if its worth a try. Thoughts anyone?
    I had my wedding there and it was fantastic.  They work with your budget.  We were able to create a custom menu within our budget, which is something we found that most venues won't let you do, you pick a menu and thats it.  

If I had questions, they were a little hard to get in touch with, which I understand, I booked 2 years out to the wedding date DH and I had selected.  The closer it got, the more in touch we were and the more easier they were able to get on the phone.  

The day of, the staff was fantastic.  I had left something in the hotel room that we needed for the reception, and they got on the phone with the hotel and the shuttle driver brought the item back to the Brownstone.

Anniversary

• I heard the brownstone is a no go, because they host so many events at once, also check waterside in north bergen it's also on river road.
  • I looked at the Brownstone and spoke with Albert Manzo. He was willing to work within budget and create a menu that really reflected us instead of the typical standard wedding menu. We really loved the two rooms that have the glass ceiling and garden feel for cocktail hours. We weren't particularly wowed by the ballrooms though and went on a Saturday afternoon. We hit a lot of traffic going through Paterson  and once we got there, there were about 5 events going on (birthday parties, showers, etc.) so we couldn't get a good feel about what it would be like during a wedding. 
  • ctr24 said:
    I looked at the Brownstone and spoke with Albert Manzo. He was willing to work within budget and create a menu that really reflected us instead of the typical standard wedding menu. We really loved the two rooms that have the glass ceiling and garden feel for cocktail hours. We weren't particularly wowed by the ballrooms though and went on a Saturday afternoon. We hit a lot of traffic going through Paterson  and once we got there, there were about 5 events going on (birthday parties, showers, etc.) so we couldn't get a good feel about what it would be like during a wedding. 
    Our ceremony was in the glass room, the conservatory.  The night of our wedding, there were 3 events going on.  Another wedding in a smaller room, Albert Manzo's daughter's engagement party, and our wedding in the ballroom downstairs.  The only time we ran into other guests was when we were going back and forth to our bridal suite, which was upstairs.

We too met with Albert Manzo.  When we initially met with him and the day the signed the contract, both Sunday's, there were quite a few things going on, but what I did like was that everything was in its own little area and you hardly ever crossed paths unless you were coming or going.
    Anniversary

• Hi guys!
    I have started my wedding venue viewings and they've been mostly in New York but I think I will keep Brownstone on my list of New Jersey venues to look at.

I am also looking into The Grand Marquis. Any reviews on this place?
  • It's of no use to you, but I went to bat mitzvah at the Grand Marquis well well well before the big renovation. My parents went to a wedding there last year. The groom had previously worked as a bartender there so they went all out. My parents had a great time and my mom remarked at how nice the dome shaped ceiling looked at night and how good the specialty drinks they served were. 

If you have any specific questions about the Grand Marquis, let me know and I'll ask my mom. 
  • We were thinking of the Grand Marquis, but decided against it, without even looking because there are no hotels within a decent driving distance.  According to their website, they recommend places in Woodbridge, which is quite a distance (my parents live about 15 minutes from the Grand Marquis.)

The place looks gorgeous though.  And if hotels and accommodations aren't important, then go for it.
    Anniversary

• Consider places out in western NJ.  We're paying about that (albeit for a Saturday afternoon and not evening) at the Lafayette House.
  • My friend got married at Ravello's. Small wedding around 75 people. I believe was in your price range. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards