Wedding Etiquette Forum

No bridesmaid SOs invited to Rehearsal Dinner?

JBee85JBee85 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited August 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Hi I posted awhile ago about possibly not making a friend's rehearsal dinner. Now it turns out that I can make it. I am a bridesmaid
I am currently confused and baffled on this. My friend is having a large wedding and has a total of 7 bridesmaids. One of us is married, three others (MOH included) are dating, and I'm engaged. The bride has told two of the bridesmaids who are dating that they could not bring their SOs to the wedding because her guest list has reached the venue's capacity. They were reasonably upset, but some how managed to put it behind them (if it were me I'd drop out of the wedding party).
A few days ago she sent out a Facebook message to us about the rehearsal. It is a couple of weeks away. She worded that "with those who have exceptions and I have spoken to, no one else can bring their SOs to the rehearsal." I was confused by this and texted her if my fiancé was invited. We were both planning to attend and my fiancé asked to get off early from work to attend. She finally told me and said she was so sorry that I could not bring my fiancé because of funding? I was very confused and am one of the two bridesmaids who are in serious committed relationships, yet apparently exceptions were given to others? What gives?

I looked all over online to see if what the bride did was inconsiderate, but there are mixed reviews. What does this community say? She is also in my bridal party, I am getting married two months after her wedding and was planning to invite her husband to come to the rehearsal dinner (my bridal party is allowed to bring their plus ones to the rehearsal AND wedding). My mom thinks I should not invite her husband to the rehearsal dinner after she did this to me, but I don't want to come off passive aggressive.

Re: No bridesmaid SOs invited to Rehearsal Dinner?

• NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    Decline the RD and even the rehearsal. Don't change your plans to invite her H to your RD, as that's petty and you're better than that. She was extremely rude. If you can be calm and nice, not like me, tell her why you're declining. I just can't believe your H isn't invited to the wedding!
  • missax said:
    This sounds like she said he's not invited to the wedding. If she did indeed mean the wedding, I would drop out so fast her head would spin. If she meant to say rehearsal dinner then I'd skip it altogether & stay in the wedding but i'd question if the friendship should continue.

Wow, question my friendship with her? Is it really that serious to go to that level? Idk. He is definitely invited to the wedding, but NOT to the rehearsal dinner. When she meant exceptions, I thought she was talking about people like my fiancé and I.
  • Did you RSVP to the wedding?   I would think the RSVP would allow your FI attend at least the wedding.  

If he is not invited to the RD I would just skip the dinner.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Sorry for the typo. I meant rehearsal. >.>
  • To answer your question, OP, yes it is rude of her to not extend an invitation to your SO with regard to the RD. The two of you are a social unit and yall should be regarded and treated as such. This goes for the bridesmaids in dating relationships as well.

As to the comments about you questioning your friendship... well, yes, to some people it IS that serious to not invite someone's SO to an event. That type of behavior illustrates how little the person regards your relationship, as if it should be no big deal for you to attend an event without them. And hey, maybe it is no big deal to you, but the fact that you came here asking about it says it might just be rubbing you the wrong way, and that's for a good reason.

I have more to say to provide a little more context but im using someone's phone that I'm REALLY unfamiliar with, and typing is very arduous.
  • oh and 2 wrongs to not make a right. Do not stoop to her level. Invite her husband to both events.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I was going to make a comment about dropping out of the wedding and ending the friendship but you clarified your typing mistake.  

I would go to the rehearsal, but decline the dinner. Yes you know how to walk and day of other bridesmaids can tell you where to stand, but this is where you show you are the better person and at least show up and rehearse. Then pull her aside and let her know that you won't be able to make it to the dinner since your SO was not invited. When she gets all upset and dares to say how rude you are to you, you reply that when a couple who is getting ready to celebrate their love and commitment can't respect the love and commitment of other couples and invite SO's, that is where you draw the line. It's rude and you will be going out to dinner/home with your FI. 
  • I agree with @lyndasvithat 2 wrongs don't make a right. You have every reason to be upset with her for not inviting your FH, especially if she has made exceptions for others in "less serious relationships" (but seriously, who is she to judge, ugh), but her hubby should still get an invite to both. I would go to the rehearsal but decline the dinner. Boo on her for breaking up social units. This is the consequence of that.
  • I would let her know you won't be making it to the dinner because you would will be having a hot date with your FI.

Then go have a hot date with your FI.
  • I'm dying to know what she says when you (hopefully) decline to attend the rehearsal dinner (especially if you go ahead and tell her why)!  Come back and tell us how it goes :).  And good luck!
  • I would go to the rehearsal and then go home, skipping the dinner. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • JBee85 said:
    I want to thank you ladies so much for your replies and suggestions on what to say to her. This site has been very helpful to me. I wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting or causing drama to her plans. As it is I had some head butting during her bachelorette party and am trying to carefully watch what I do for here. I think I got everything I need here.
    She sounds pleasant. 

I would echo other pp in that you can decline the RD, or like Addie said, just go to the rehearsal and skip the dinner.  I would also be honest and tell her why.

Then, when it's your wedding, you just kill her with kindness!  Having her husband invited and involved sends a much more meaningful message than stooping to her level and playing childish games.  If it were a competition, you would win with proper etiquette! 

• AddieCake said:

I would go to the rehearsal and then go home, skipping the dinner. 

This is probably what I'd do too.
    *********************************************************************************

• JBee85 said:

My response caused some strife between her and a couple bridesmaids. The bride told me she is having over 30 people at the RD because they have extended invites to nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, etc who are NOT APART of the ceremony. Their reason is because both the bride and groom have large families who are coming from out of town and they don't want to exclude them. I understand not wanting to exclude them because of the distance, but they aren't apart of the ceremony. At my RD my aunt from North Carolina and my FI's aunt, uncle and cousins from NY aren't invited to ours since they have no role in the ceremony. I was under the impression RDs are reserved for people who are in the ceremony and include their SOs. I didn't say this to her to avoid an argument. And technically I am from out of state.

One bridesmaid sided with me and said she plans to do the same- come to the rehearsal and skip the dinner. Then two bridesmaids (ones I don't get along with) AND the bride started saying how immature I was for declining the invite to the dinner, how I am not supporting the bride (really? I spent over $400 to be apart of her fucking wedding) , and that I "needed to understand" why my FI could not attend because of the amount of people coming to the RD and budget. I asked the bride how she would of felt if I told her that her husband could not come, but she said she would be "disappointed, but respectfully understand."

Not sure what else to do here, but my inner gut is saying to stand my ground.
    Stand your ground, don't let her bully you into going. I dont know how attending a stupid dinner is supporting her anyways. Tell her your FI put in for time off and so you are supporting him by spending that time with him

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This woman sounds awful! 

• Ok, what I'd like to know is where does it say that you have to have/give a rehearsal dinner? 

• Absolutely stand your ground. If she's willing to invite only some of the BM's SO, but yours isn't one of them, then you and your FI are being disrespected. Out of curiosity, are the bridesmaids who are calling you immature the ones whose SOs are allowed to come to the RD?
  • Ok, what I'd like to know is where does it say that you have to have/give a rehearsal dinner? 

Having a rehearsal is never actually neccessary. Its not tgat hard to figure out how to walk down an aisle.

However, if you are requiring ppl to take time out of their day to rehearse your ceremony, then you need to host them by hosting a rehearsal dinner.

The only ppl that you are required to host at the dinner are those who are actually participating directly in your ceremony and who just attended the rehearsal. Many ppl like to include out of town guests, but I think it's unnecessary and becomes ridiculous if the majority of your guest list is OOT, because at that point you are having a reception prior to your actual wedding and reception.

If you don't want to/ can't afford the dinner, then don't have a rehearsal.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Stand your ground. I'm sorry she's treating you this way.
  • What a crappy friend. Stand your ground on this for sure.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards