Snarky Brides

When does imitation stop being flattery and start being weird?

So, I get that everything's been done before.  My wedding, as beautiful as I thought it was, was by no means the most original event ever put on.  No big deal.  That said...

This has been a huge wedding year for my family (literally 5 weddings, all exactly 4 weeks apart).  My aunt got married 4 weeks after I did, and it was actually kind of cool how many details we had in common with each other because we planned completely independently of each other.  It wasn't weird at all that we had similar locations, types of food, colors, flowers, etc. because the end results were each unique to us and, for all the similarities (she did go out and get all the wines I served because she liked them so much, for example), the weddings each had different vibes and were completely different experiences. 

My cousin's wedding coming up next month, however, is feeling a little strange for me.  His mom (my other aunt) is basically recreating my wedding in every detail possible for him and his FI.  She is serving all the same food (literally every single item off the menu, using the same recipes), is using my playlist, is having my same wedding cake, same beverages, same color scheme and flowers, same invitations (and I handmade those suckers!), and even boxed up a chunk of my decorations to reuse at his wedding, without ever asking if that was ok.  She even took the table runners I had made so she could use them at my cousin's wedding.  This was especially awkward because I had agreed to give them to my rental guy after my wedding because he liked them so much (in exchange for a nice reduction in his fees--and my aunt KNEW this), but they were nowhere to be found the next day.  Lo and behold...my cousin's FI is posting pictures of them on facebook from halfway across the U.S.  Even our dresses are similar.  After seeing my dress, the FI decided to ditch her ballgown and go for a sheath with an empire waistline.

My cousin's FI has also "scalped" half of my bridesmaids.  After talking to them at my wedding, she asked them to be in her wedding (even though she had never met them before that day) to replace members of her bridal party that she had kicked out.  Since these girls are family, they felt too awkward to say no because my bridesmaids didn't want to disappoint my cousin.  His FI told me that they looked so good up there with me, that she wanted to make sure she had the same look at her wedding.  She's even making them wear the same BM dresses for her wedding, just in a different color so the aesthetic will be the same.

Is this as weird as I think it is?  Like I said before, I understand weddings are rarely original, but this seems to go beyond imitation being the sincerest form of flattery (although I do appreciate that obviously they liked my wedding).  I also understand that in the long run, none of this matters at all, but that still doesn't stop me from just looking at this situation and thinking, wtf?

Re: When does imitation stop being flattery and start being weird?

• Well, the good thing is that everyone at her wedding who went to your wedding will see she's a crazypants copycat. She's the one who will look bad here, as long as you respond gracefully and graciously.
  • This particular situation IS weird (normally, I would say similar details wouldn't be because weddings are very similar despite most people wanting to think they are a special snowflake).

I was just about to give the benefit of the doubt and say maybe she realized what she had planned wasn't that fantastic and thought yours was better and figured she'd save some money to boot.  But the clincher was when you said she needed to replace members of her wedding party that she kicked out.  And without any of the rest of the post, I knew immediately that you were dealing with an insecure, self-absorbed, tacky, mooching, future Etiquette Hell hall of famer.

At this point, I would just be the bigger person and let it go, pay them no attention, and then steer clear of them as much as you can for the rest of your lives because they've made it clear just what a hot mess they are and if they are tacky mooching messes now, what's going to happen at Christmas? And house buying and house warming parties?  And baby showers when the first round of kids are born?
  • Aunt and this bride have stepped into the creepy zone.  I wouldn't say a word about this to anyone, let your family see how you are the bigger person.  I'm sure your family will side-eye this entire wedding and talk about it for years to come.  All the while, I would sit there and smile as people talk about it.
  • Ah, yeah, weird.  Call her out on the table runners.  You made a deal and have to live up to your end of the bargain.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • I guess one of the positive things about the repeat menu is that this time I'll at least be able to eat some of it.  I missed out on all the lovely appetizers at my wedding, and the serving staff was so efficient, that they cleared away all of my and DH's plates every. single. time. we got up from our table at all.  This meant I got about 5 bites of dinner.  Neither of us got any wedding cake past the first bite from cutting the cake because even though we asked a piece be left for us at our table, some over-enthusiatic busser took it away before we even sat down.  Silver lining...
  • All I can say is at least you got married first... It borders on creepy IMHO.

Um, your aunt stole from you. How did that happen? She just cleared off tables at your wedding and no one noticed? Or did someone give these to her? What the everloving fuck?
    *********************************************************************************

• My aunt helped pack things up the next day.  Some of the boxes just magically made it into her car instead of my dad's truck, so...
  • I would be pissed if I were asked to be a BM, simply because I looked good (I'm not a prop), and then I'd be even more pissed if I were told, "Well, I'm using the same dresses, but now you have to order it in a different color."

WHAT?

And yeah, get those runners back from your aunt. You have finances depending on it. She should not have taken those without permission, and now that money is on the line, she should return them PRONTO.
  • Like PPs said, get those table runners back! I would also ask for the other handmade stuff back if she took anything else. I would be pissed if people stole things I hand made for MY wedding. If she asked, I would have let her borrow them, but now I would say offer to rent them to her or ask her to give them back. She also seems like the type that would ignore you if you emailed her about them, I would call and say you sold them to the rental guy so you need them back now.
  • Or don't all for them back. Just say that they are a combined shower/wedding gift.
  • I don't understand people. Like, at all. Why the hell did she think YOUR wedding decorations were just up for grabs? That's so incredibly presumptuous and rude. Ugh.

• It isn't really creepy, it is kind of sweet, in a sad way. Like she has no confidence in her taste, or ability to choose things to put together a nice wedding. Copying the food is a very good sign, that you had good food at your wedding.

It stops being nice at the runners, explain point blank that there was a deal made, and you have to have them back. No more detail than that.

• Superrrr creepy! The wedding dress thing... did she exchange it somehow or just straight-up buy a second dress!?
  • You are to go and report back on this clone of a wedding.  It's creepy and sounds VERY intentional.  I guess it means you have great taste or she's too lazy to get some taste of her own to inject into her event.  

I'm more upset that they stole some of your supplies.  Like, come on!  That's just terrible.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• She straight up bought another dress. She hasn't decided yet what to do with the ballgown, but she's tossing around the idea of either taking some wedding pictures in it, or wearing it for her bachelorette party the night before the wedding because she actually does want to wear it. It's obvious it's the dress she wants. I really don't understand why she felt the need to try and get a dress like mine when it's not really her style. It makes no sense.
  • You are to go and report back on this clone of a wedding.  It's creepy and sounds VERY intentional.  I guess it means you have great taste or she's too lazy to get some taste of her own to inject into her event.  

I'm more upset that they stole some of your supplies.  Like, come on!  That's just terrible. 

SITB:

You bet your bottom dollar I'm going to report back on it!  I want to lean toward the side of me having amazing taste, but really, I think she's more clueless than anything else.  She really wants a pretty, pretty princess day all in pink and ruffles and is instead going for a much more subdued look to match my wedding.  I just hope she's happy with the end result.
  • Bless her heart I wonder if this is your aunts doing?

1. No, we got these free decorations from Nymeru and we are GOING TO USE THEM. Everything must go with these decorations! They were FREE.

2. See, Nymeru understands! She has a non-tacky wedding. Why would you want this awful princess ball gown pink crap when you can have classy like Nymeru. Well guess what that is what I am getting you so you don't regret it when you look at your wedding pictures in 20 years.

I mean because there IS a reason even if we don't know what it is.

• Yeah, that's a bit much and way creepy! I wouldn't call her out on the copycatting though, just kind of quietly side eye it and may even feel sorry for the bride and groom as it's probably not the wedding that they wanted. 

I WOULD however, call her out on the stolen decorations and table runners and ask for reimbursement because you did actually lose some money because of her stealing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This situation sounds pretty crazy pants.

I definitely see the perk in getting to have the food from your wedding! At least you know that are will be awesome!

The craziest part to me is not the table runners, its the bridesmaid thing. She kicked people out and then replaced them just a month or two out from her wedding?? That's insane. Plus, she asked these girls who she's not at all close to? You need to get the details from them on how craptastic this show really is!
    Can't wait for the rest of the details! :)
  • Nymeru said:

She straight up bought another dress. She hasn't decided yet what to do with the ballgown, but she's tossing around the idea of either taking some wedding pictures in it, or wearing it for her bachelorette party the night before the wedding because she actually does want to wear it. It's obvious it's the dress she wants. I really don't understand why she felt the need to try and get a dress like mine when it's not really her style. It makes no sense.

This is so sad to me. Can you encourage her to wear her ball gown? That seems to be what she wants and she's not really going to have another chance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards