Flowers
Options

Summer wedding flowers?

Hi all! I am really struggling to figure out what type(s) of flowers to use for my bridal party/table centerpieces. We are planning a wedding for end of August/beginning September. Our colors are going to be blush pink (bridesmaid dresses), grey (men), and white. It will be a smaller wedding (50-60 people) so we won't need a ton of centerpieces. Any ideas? What did you do for your wedding?

Thanks!

Re: Summer wedding flowers?

• Options
    So just from your color scheme I am assuming you are going for something soft and romantic?

If so, hydrangeas, garden roses, lisianthus, stock, astillbe, rununculus and maybe even adding some succulents and seeded eucalyptus would be a gorgeous combination.

• Options
    We got married Aug. 24 and had garden roses, stock, dusty miller, lisianthus, and other flowers. Are you planning to hire a florist? If so, I'd talk to her about the colors and feel you're going for and let him or her advise you on flowers.
  • Options
    Maggie - yes, something soft and romantic.
    Emmy - I would like roses, but feel they might be a bit costly!

There are so many flowers to choose from it makes if very difficult. Do you think hiring a florist is the easiest route to take? That's what I planned on doing.

How much did you spend on flowers Emmy? How about you Maggie?
  • Options
    Costs of flowers really vary by region and florist to florist

Roses really aren't as costly as you may think.  They are a very common flower and readily available all year long.  As long as you aren't getting married around Valentines day then roses should be pretty affordable.

But for me everything cost me about $2500 (I got a good price because I went through the florist that I used to work for.  In reality I should have spent closer to $3200).  That included...
    3 bouquets,
    2 nosegays,
    10 bouts,
    2 large ceremony pieces,
    10 tall aisle vases filled with water and submerged flowers and floating candles,
    15 smaller vases similar to the 10 aisle vases which surrounded the 2 large ceremony pieces
    Centerpieces:
    7 - 3 vases of varying heights arranged with flowers
    6 - 3-5 vases of varying heights filled with water and submerged flowers and floating candles
    A lot of votive candles scattered throughout
    Loss flowers for cupcake stand
    Delivery and set-up

I know many brides on here who have DIY'd their flowers, but even though I was a floral designer for 8 years I decided to leave it to the pros.  I just did not want to have the stress of putting together my bouquets and centerpieces and ceremony pieces and then setting it all up at the reception space the 3-4 days leading up to my wedding.  Also, depending on what you want arrangement wise, if you aren't knowledgeable about floral design then some arrangements could be pretty difficult to put together yourself.

• Options
    I spent $1000 for a medium-sized bridal bouquet, boutonniere for the groom, and 10 centerpieces (a series of small mixed jars with wildflowers, mercury glass votives, and floating candles). 

I considered doing the flowers myself to save money, but I really had no idea what I was doing. Plus, I was planning to bake my own cake and we had a ton of other stuff to set up, so it just seemed like too much to do. 

We went to the florist with the budget and a very flexible "vision." She worked wonders. The flowers were far beyond what I hoped for, and it was so easy having someone take care of all that. I put a picture of the centerpieces below. They were so damn gorgeous! :)

Since I got married, a new website called Bloominous started. They offer "floral kits" that look really easy to work with. I'd consider that if I was getting married now. It looks like the Party Pop collection would fit what you're looking for.

• Options
    Thanks girls! You have both been a great help. You provided a lot of information to me that will be very useful :) Emmy, your centerpieces were beautiful! The colors are great. I will take a look at the website you included in your post as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards