Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Quick fixes for a farmer tan - very delayed E photos!

It looks as though I've been not taking good care of myself this summer.  I do a lot of horse riding, and haven't ever returned burned, but have ended up with a farmer tan nonetheless.  This is odd, as I'm pretty pale, and my skin color doesn't tend to change too much.  

I can't really think of how to fix this, because I'm talking about a very minimal tan that's been built up over the past four months, so I can't tan the rest of myself in enough time.  Is there is any way to fade the tan, or am I just going to have to try and cover everything with a light spray tan, which I should add, my FI and I both dislike.  

Unfortunately we've had to keep putting off the Engagement photos because my skin kept breaking out, and I'm wishing I'd just sucked it up and done them in the spring.  Now I feel like we're on a ridiculous deadline and I really don't know what to do to still look like myself in our photos.

Thanks so much for the help!

Re: Quick fixes for a farmer tan - very delayed E photos!

• Thanks @butterscotchjbeans.  I'll have a look in to Jergens.  

I'm not really sure what caused my skin to start breaking out.  It's finally started calming down, thankfully, but I'm a bit worried that it might be temporary.
  • I'm using dermalogica for face related things. It's super gentle. I can't imagine that anything is related to that. I've been using the same products for years with no problem. But I think I'll go to a dermatologist anyway. I'm hesitant about BC pills, but starting to think it's a looking like a sensible idea. I just don't like the idea of synthetic hormones, and the way the interrupt all sorts of natural processes outside of our bodies. Plus, I've tried about five of them, and I seem to have the choice between massive weight gain (alright, one clothing size, but still not good seeing as I've ordered my wedding dress) and random spotting (also not good for a wedding) but I'll go and talk to the doctor about it. I booked an appointment for Wednesday.
  •  
    As far as the tanning goes, if you get a spray tan a few days before your e pics you should be fine.  For example, if you are having them on a Sunday, you should probably get your spray tan thursday night or friday.  That way you can still have maximum color, but just enough fade to look natural. I think with the way you described your "current farmers tan" as not being too dark in one spot and light in the other, the spray tan will work perfect to even everything out.  Jergens Natural Glow has had a tendency to be streaky and patchy on me.  Not sure if it's how I'm applying it, but I have tried the old and new formula, and both are streaky and patchy.  But everyone has different experiences :)
  •  
    As far as the tanning goes, if you get a spray tan a few days before your e pics you should be fine.  For example, if you are having them on a Sunday, you should probably get your spray tan thursday night or friday.  That way you can still have maximum color, but just enough fade to look natural. I think with the way you described your "current farmers tan" as not being too dark in one spot and light in the other, the spray tan will work perfect to even everything out.  Jergens Natural Glow has had a tendency to be streaky and patchy on me.  Not sure if it's how I'm applying it, but I have tried the old and new formula, and both are streaky and patchy.  But everyone has different experiences :)
    Thanks!  I don't have a lot of experience with spray tans, but it does seem easier than trying to do it at home.
  • I have had them done a few times with good results.  When you go to the tanning salon, the salesperson will throw a lot of terms at you like, "do you want an enhancer? do you want the light medium or dark?" I always go with either light or medium with no enhancer, (light in the winter if I have an event that I need to go to, medium in the summer) I think one of the reasons some people may give spray tans a bad rap is because they always go too dark.  This is one of those things you need to be more conservative on and know your skin IMO.  If you are super white, you don't need the "dark" spray tan.  It just won't look natural.  Hope this helps you!
  • Thank you. I knew I would prefer a lighter tan. I'd look more like myself in the photos in any event.
  • I ended up with a farmers tan for my wedding even though I was careful during the summer. And a farmer's tan looks soooo great with a strapless dress. I got a spray tan and had them focus more on the areas that were pale. I did do it for the first time almost 2 months before my wedding in case I had any type of a reaction or it turned out a bad color, I would have time to recover.

• Thanks for the suggestion.  Fortunately we're getting married in winter; I'll just have to be super careful for the two or so weeks that I'm in Australia before the wedding.
  • Not sure what you mean by the fact that you and your fiancé don't like spray tans? Have you ever actually tried one? At-home tans almost always turn out TERRIBLE: orangey, streaky, orange palms, etc. so I seriously do not recommend. Go to a salon (NOT a tanning place but a spa/salon) that has a real live person do the spray tan. That's what I do and my tans always look so good, never orange, I always get so many compliments and most people have no idea that I got a spray until I tell them! The stylist can customize the color and amount of coverage you need.
  • Yes, I have.  I just feel, and he agrees with me, that I don't look like myself with one.  I don't tan terribly much naturally, and I haven't found anywhere that offers spray tans that light.  I've been to a number of places that have trained people who do the spraying, and it just has never come out as I've wanted it to.  I've got absolutely no problem with other people getting them; it's just not something that's for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards