Wedding Woes

Lost my job 3 months before my wedding!!!

I lost my job yesterday and I am getting married November 30 and then going on a month long honeymoon. I am so stressed now, it wasn't that I loved my job or planned to stay long term but the steady paycheque and the fact that I had my dates booked off for the wedding and honeymoon. Luckily I can go work part time in our family's business until I find something else but I don't know how I am going to find something else that will give me a month off. Maybe I should just work part time until then? My fiancé and I also want to start for a baby right away so I also need to find a full time job so I can get decent maternity leave. Oh gosh I am sooooooo stressed!!!

Re: Lost my job 3 months before my wedding!!!

• My advice would be to work part time until you can get on the honeymoon with your month off, and then start job searching, if you can afford it. I think with the whole conceiving a child thing, you are thinking very far ahead and maybe just hold off on that until you are stable again. Take a deep breath, and try to focus on the day-to-day. Are there ways to cut back on your wedding and honeymoon to save more money? Maybe on your honeymoon you could grocery shop and eat out less, no matter where you are vacationing you could save so much money just doing that. Little things like that add up and turn into diapers and blankets for a little one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If you want decent maternity leave, don't throw those pills away just yet.  Every place I've ever worked has short-term disability for maternity leave kick in after 12 mo. of employment.  Otherwise you're going to have to use your vacation and sick days and take the rest unpaid, and if you're brand new, that's probably be a few weeks at most.  And unless you have a C-section or other complication, STD (dirty!) for an uncomplicated vaginal delivery is 6 weeks, so anything you want beyond that is, again, going to have to come out of whatever vacation and sick time you've accrued, with the balance unpaid.

ETA:  sorry, just noticed that you wrote "paycheque" so it's possible that you live someplace with decent maternity leave.  Which is pretty much everywhere but here and Liberia.
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    Heffalump said:
    If you want decent maternity leave, don't throw those pills away just yet.  Every place I've ever worked has short-term disability for maternity leave kick in after 12 mo. of employment.  Otherwise you're going to have to use your vacation and sick days and take the rest unpaid, and if you're brand new, that's probably be a few weeks at most.  And unless you have a C-section or other complication, STD (dirty!) for an uncomplicated vaginal delivery is 6 weeks, so anything you want beyond that is, again, going to have to come out of whatever vacation and sick time you've accrued, with the balance unpaid.

ETA:  sorry, just noticed that you wrote "paycheque" so it's possible that you live someplace with decent maternity leave.  Which is pretty much everywhere but here and Liberia.
    LOL 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Places like McDonalds, WalMart, 7-11, Tim Hortons (assuming your Canadian with the pay cheque) etc. are ALWAYS hiring, so finding something in the interim shouldn't be too hard.  I know they're not the most... sought after jobs, but 10 bucks an hour is better than no bucks an hour. 
  • Thanks all, yes I am in Canada and here to get maternity leave you need to work someplace for 7 months to receive maternity leave and have worked for 700 hours to receive employment insurance.

@larrygaga I think your right, I'll work part time until the wedding and honeymoon and worry about finding something more permanent when I come back. Financially we are ok, my fiancé makes a very healthy living and he is very supportive of me. It's just so stressful to be trying to put this wedding together and now have to worry about finding a new job. Thanks for the advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards