Snarky Brides

I can't do anything about it... but I can cringe, right?

My MOH mentioned tanning to me yesterday, in the sense that she's tanning in preparation for the wedding. I've seen her go a bit overboard on the tanning in the past, so I tried to gently mention that, well, she's watching a blonde-haired-blue-eyed white girl and a redhead get married, and she's got a naturally olive/dark complexion - she's going to look super tan next to us no matter what. Her response was to joke that I should just say I accidentally invited Snooki.

I recognize there's nothing I can do about it, but... ohhhh man. Depending on how this pans out, I think it has the potential to make for some interesting/funny wedding photos. Shrug. Oh, well.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I can't do anything about it... but I can cringe, right?

• I think you have the right attitude by shrugging it off.  Different skin tones are natural, so as long as she isn't unnaturally orange I don't see any problem.

• I think you have the right attitude by shrugging it off.  Different skin tones are natural, so as long as she isn't unnaturally orange I don't see any problem.
    I've seen her straight-up orange before, is what I'm getting at. At this point, I don't really think she has time to get THAT "fake-baked" by the time the wedding gets here, so I'm not TOO worried, but given the number of redheads in my FI's family, it could make for an interesting contrast.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not your problem. At some point a relative way down the road years from now might look at your wedding album and go, "Ginger, I didn't know you were friends with Valentino Garavani!" You can chuckle about it, but it's not a big deal.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    Not your problem. At some point a relative way down the road years from now might look at your wedding album and go, "Ginger, I didn't know you were friends with Valentino Garavani!" You can chuckle about it, but it's not a big deal.
    Yeah, I'm sure it'll all turn out fine. It's just funny to think about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a friend (well, we're not so much friends anymore) who is completely addicted to tanning. She's so dark and weird looking. She's younger than me and she already looks much, much older. It's sad. 
  • I think you probably should have kept your comments to yourself about her skin and how she'll look in your wedding photos. So what if she looks darker than you? Quelle horreur that your skin tones are "off" from each other. If she looks like an idiot in pictures because she over did it, it'll make you look that much better.
    *********************************************************************************

• Since you say she doesn't have time to turn orange I wouldn't worry. I mean, so what if she's dark and you're pale? You wouldn't complain about the contrast if she were a person of color, would you? Though yes, I would absolutely side-eye an orange bridesmaid.
  • Since you say she doesn't have time to turn orange I wouldn't worry. I mean, so what if she's dark and you're pale? You wouldn't complain about the contrast if she were a person of color, would you? Though yes, I would absolutely side-eye an orange bridesmaid.
    I don't really care if she's just dark, which I suppose wasn't well-communicated above since I didn't spell it out. She's naturally dark complected, which was why I made the crack to her about looking dark next to us no matter what. It's the orange I was concerned/joking about, which is why I specifically mentioned orange in a later comment, and is presumably why she made the joke about Snooki.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a friend (well, we're not so much friends anymore) who is completely addicted to tanning. She's so dark and weird looking. She's younger than me and she already looks much, much older. It's sad. 
    Eesh. A girl at my university died from skin cancer last year, at age 20. I'm actually genuinely pretty worried about my friend's fixation on tanning the last year or two, but I just don't think it's any of my business to try and heckle her about it. (Kind of like with smoking - I'm pretty sure nobody quits smoking because their friends are bitchy about it.) For the most part, I keep my mouth shut and hope it's a phase.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think a causal comment in the conversation is no big deal. You're friends, don't you usually talk like that wedding related or not. I had a BM that loved to tan and she said she was going to get a few sessions in before the wedding. I jokingly told her just don't go darker then my Asians! (I have 3 Cambodian stepsisters that were in the wedding who refer to themselves as my Asian sisters). But really it was no big deal, my friend looked great as did everyone!

Anniversary
  • I'm visualizing Anne Hathaway in Bride Wars after the spray-tan incident.

• My MOH mentioned tanning to me yesterday, in the sense that she's tanning in preparation for the wedding. I've seen her go a bit overboard on the tanning in the past, so I tried to gently mention that, well, she's watching a blonde-haired-blue-eyed white girl and a redhead get married, and she's got a naturally olive/dark complexion - she's going to look super tan next to us no matter what. Her response was to joke that I should just say I accidentally invited Snooki.

I recognize there's nothing I can do about it, but... ohhhh man. Depending on how this pans out, I think it has the potential to make for some interesting/funny wedding photos. Shrug. Oh, well.
    Fun times.

http://mfne.org/learn-about-melanoma/tanning-and-melanoma-facts/

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/indoor_tanning.htm

http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts#indoor

At least your friend and ppl like her are currently keeping me employed. . . but melanoma is so nasty a cancer I'd prefer they just stay healthy and I can work on something else ><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• That will be interesting to see.  At least you're chuckling at it.

My friend runs a tanning salon and just turned 31 in June.  There's crazy lip lines around her mouth.  Tanning can seriously age you.  She's such a gorgeous girl (and a model, and a reality TV minor celeb) and I just wished she'd wear SPF or fake bake....
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I think a causal comment in the conversation is no big deal. You're friends, don't you usually talk like that wedding related or not.

I had a BM that loved to tan and she said she was going to get a few sessions in before the wedding. I jokingly told her just don't go darker then my Asians! (I have 3 Cambodian stepsisters that were in the wedding who refer to themselves as my Asian sisters).

But really it was no big deal, my friend looked great as did everyone!

Indeed, it was a logical course for the conversation to take. I'm sure it'll all turn out fine, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • brideofgingerbrideofginger member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014

My MOH mentioned tanning to me yesterday, in the sense that she's tanning in preparation for the wedding. I've seen her go a bit overboard on the tanning in the past, so I tried to gently mention that, well, she's watching a blonde-haired-blue-eyed white girl and a redhead get married, and she's got a naturally olive/dark complexion - she's going to look super tan next to us no matter what. Her response was to joke that I should just say I accidentally invited Snooki.

Fun times.

http://mfne.org/learn-about-melanoma/tanning-and-melanoma-facts/

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/indoor_tanning.htm

http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts#indoor

At least your friend and ppl like her are currently keeping me employed. . . but melanoma is so nasty a cancer I'd prefer they just stay healthy and I can work on something else ><

-------

A fellow student on campus died from melanoma last year... I'm honestly partly kinda worried for my friend, but I don't think it's my place to get up in her business about it. (How many smokers do you know who actually quit because people shamed them into it, you know?)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That will be interesting to see.  At least you're chuckling at it.

My friend runs a tanning salon and just turned 31 in June.  There's crazy lip lines around her mouth.  Tanning can seriously age you.  She's such a gorgeous girl (and a model, and a reality TV minor celeb) and I just wished she'd wear SPF or fake bake....
    I've tanned twice in my life for a period of one month the first time (for prom pictures that I never even got) and the second time for a period of three months several years later because I was tired of being so freaking pale.  I stopped because my skin was aging dramatically.  I wasn't even as bad as some of my friends, but I could see the damage occurring and I did not want to be one of those forty year old women who look like they're 68 with leather for skin.  I'm pretty sure the tanning beds I was using were bad too because I burnt my ass several times (which had never happened in other salons), and I thought about the possibility of getting cancer on my ass and having to show and explain it.  It sounded like an uncomfortable situation I would never like to have, so I stopped.  And I've been pale and proud since. haha. 

My Mom developed skin cancer over the past few years, so now I am extra careful and always wear sunscreen. Being tan is not worth it.  

• My mom has beautiful dark olive skin with black hair and eyes.

Me? Red hair, pale skin, blue eyes, and freckles.

She doesn't go in the sun but her natural complexion is still very dark compared to mine. We have the same facial features but our skin tones are so opposite that I look like a negative version of her. Our pictures together are always striking because of the difference.  But in a good way, I think. :)

As for tanning, everybody stop it right now. Please. I nearly lost my life to melanoma... and so did my olive skinned mother. No one is safe. No tan is safe.
  • I have never tanned in a booth and rarely went to the pool or beach as a kid.  But I'm so fair and freckled, it really astounds me as I get older (I'm 26) that I already have visible sun spots and aging.  My whole skin is all just made up of tiny freckles, even on my arms and legs.  I wear SPF 20 on my face, neck, and chest every day but it's such a PITA to put it on my arms just for walking from the subway to school.  I did just buy a powder sunscreen travel brush (SPF 30) and I use that to reapply over my makeup throughout the day.  Hopefully that will help.

If I'm so worried about incidental urban sun exposure, I can't imagine purposely subjecting yourself to UV rays!  Gah!

My mom had skin cancer, too.  It's scary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Both my husband and I are white, mostly European descent. But of course both have some native american ancestry, but way way back. Our second child has a darker complexion than both of us, very tan skin even in winter. In summer when he spends a ton of time outside with his friends he is so brown he has been mistaken for the child of the next door neighbors who are hispanic. It doesn't matter how much sun screen I put on that child, he darkens no matter what. We have had to talk about monitoring sun spots, moles, etc. He will have to watch his skin carefully. He knows this can hurt him because of a family friend of his grandma lost his life due to skin cancer. So treatable, but yet still deadly if left untreated.
  • Yeah I totally wouldn't worry about it, my best friend took a job as a lifeguard this year and she has a HORRIBLE thick tank top tan on her front and back as well as a whistle tanline around her neck. Not to mention the fact that we're both blonde hair blue eyed babes but now she's straight up orange just from naturally tanning so much. There's nothing I can really say cause it's her job and I've mentioned once or twice that we could just go to the beach on her day off and fix the lines but she's not really into the idea of being at the beach when she's not working which I totally get. So, just shrug it off and love her cause she's your bff.
  • I joke with BF that I might have to tan for some time before we get married so I don't look so incredibly pale next to him. He's a full blooded Portuguese man and is tan even in the winter. I have a bit of an olive skin tone but it's still pretty pale.

I've never gone into a tanning bed though. Claustrophobic to the extreme. I always laid out in the sun as a teen though. Haven't actually tanned in a while. My maternal grandma had skin cancer so I have to be careful.
    Formerly known as bubbles053009

• Lol I'm pretty much as pasty white as they come. Even if I try to tan out in the sun, either nothing happens or I get burnt and it goes back to white afterwards. So when my FI and I took our engagement photos, my photog actually photoshopped our skin tones slightly to make them more similar. If your friend really ends up orange, your photog might do this anyway (I wouldn't ask though)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards