Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Announcements for Family Not Invited

My mom brought up the idea of sending wedding announcements to family members that weren't invited to the wedding.  She brought this up because her aunt, my great aunt, who I love dearly, wasn't invited to the wedding and was upset that even though she wouldn't have flown up from Florida, she still wanted to be invited.  I mean seriously, we couldn't invite people with the hopes they wouldn't show just so that they could get an invite when we wanted to stick to our budget LOL.

Is this appropriate to do since its 4 months after the wedding?  I'm not sure what to do here.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Wedding Announcements for Family Not Invited

• Options
    I don't think it's appropriate since it's been 4 months. Announcements should be sent within a couple days of the wedding. Aunt will get over it.
  • Options
    IMHO 4 months is pretty late. The aunt already knows you were married and she wasn't invited - I wouldn't send them just to appease her. At this point, bc you waited so long, they might appear gift grabby..."hey in case you forgot I got married and you didn't send a gift." Wedding announcements are typically sent out immediately after the wedding or upon returning from an elopement.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    edited August 2014

I think a formal wedding announcement is approriate, yes. I don't believe there are any time restrictions. Four months sounds alright. You could include a nice picture.

For the suggested wording I'll have to defer to someone else. Usually it's "So and So were married on x date in x location." If the couple just moved in together, the new home's address is included. 

ETA: I doubt this will fix the Great Aunt's feelings but I doubt anything would at this point.

• Options
    ohmrs2014 said:
    My mom brought up the idea of sending wedding announcements to family members that weren't invited to the wedding.  She brought this up because her aunt, my great aunt, who I love dearly, wasn't invited to the wedding and was upset that even though she wouldn't have flown up from Florida, she still wanted to be invited.  I mean seriously, we couldn't invite people with the hopes they wouldn't show just so that they could get an invite when we wanted to stick to our budget LOL.

Is this appropriate to do since its 4 months after the wedding?  I'm not sure what to do here.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I wouldn't send anything.
  • Options
    Would have been appropriate 4 days later, but not 4 months. Maybe just package up some wedding photos and mail them to her with a thoughtful letter (not mentioning that her feelings were hurt or apologizing for not inviting her, just making small talk. old people love small talk).

• Options
    I also think 4 months is too late. 
  • Options
    4 months is definitely too late. I don't really get the point of announcements to people who weren't invited. My parents got one once and my mom was a little miffed since she felt like it just highlighted the fact they weren't invited and they were local and it was a large wedding. I would just leave it be. 
  • Options
    I like the idea of sending her wedding photos.  I'm sure she is over it by now.  Thanks for all the advice and input ladies!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards