Catholic Weddings

Prayer of the Couple

Hello,

I am Catholic and my fiance is not. As I'm sure I'm not the only one, my fiance was very disappointed that we wouldn't be able to write our own vows. I actually also didn't know this until we started talking about marriage and I began looking up all the requirements for a Catholic Wedding, with the help of various sites like catholicweddinghelp.com, Together For Life (book and online) etc. Just recently, I have started to see an optional portion of the Wedding called the "Prayer of the Couple", but I am unable to find ANY information about it. What I HAVE found says it can be completely customized. But it also seems like there is at least a sort of order that should be followed. I have also seen that some people say it is in the Together for Life book, but it is unfortunately NOT in mine. (not sure if it's too old or too new. My book is unfortunately not in front of me at the moment to verify.) We have met with our Marriage Director at the Church, but unfortunately the Father has not contacted us back yet (he is fairly new and still learning the Parish).

Does anyone have a copy of the Together For Life book that includes information about the Prayer of the Couple? Or anyone know anything more about the Prayer of the Couple? It seems like such a sweet option, as I personally love the Catholic Vows, but would also like to pray together with my future spouse in our ceremony. 

Thank you everyone in advance!!

Re: Prayer of the Couple

• I've never heard of this, and I've been to quite a few Catholic weddings.  You'll have to ask your priest / deacon regarding your options or even if you'd be able to do this. 
  • From the little I have read about it, it's very rarely used. Hence why I can't find much more about it. I definitely will ask our priest, I just like having all my ducks in a row.
  • We got married Catholic and our priest gave us the option to do our own vows - there were just certain rules/guidelines as to what you had to include.  We chose not to, but maybe talk directly with your priest to see if there's any wiggle room there?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards