November 2014 Weddings
Options

So How is Everyone Doing Their Hair?

I completely balked at the price of a stylist.  I don't have a hair stylist friend or a makeup artist friend, but I do have a passion for makeup and lots of long, fine hair.  To give an idea as to what my hair looks like, it is down to about bra band level on my back, layered, and this color:

(That's my actual hair from the last year or so.  It's only got a very minor wave, if any, I haven't colored it in a few years, and only one grey so far, lol)

I originally wanted a half-up-half-down hairdo but nothing looked like it would hold a veil without a million bobby pins so I changed gears and looked up easy updos I could do with minimal help: 

I tried out the first one and I look a little like a cone head but I'll keep practicing.  The second one looks super easy as well.  Maybe if I use hot rollers I will get a more textured effect.

What will everyone else be doing?  Feel free to sound off here :)

ETA: I can't embed YouTube videos very well and I can't find a tutorial on it, so I have to provide linkies.  Sorry!!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: So How is Everyone Doing Their Hair?

• Options
    I have no idea what I'm doing with my hair.

I decided to just go ahead and get a hair stylist. My hair never cooperates, so I'd rather not have to deal with it the day of.  My hair is about chin length, and super fine.  I'm really hoping that I can find an updo, because I hate having my hair in my face!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    goldchocobo do the second one. I feel the first one is too conehead.
  • Options
    I have a trial tomorrow... and a dress appt right after, kinda stoked to have it all on the same day so I can see how it all looks. But ugh. I was thinking full updo (but loose and sort of soft??), now I feel like my shoulders are so broad that maybe I should do a half updo or a side hairstyle? :\
  • Options

I'm going to have mine down but pulled back a little b/c of my veils. I honestly have no idea how I'm going to do it. I have wavy/curly hair so I want it to be down and natural-ish. I've been wanting to get together with my friend doing my hair (and makeup) so we can figure out what all I need to buy and bring...Eek!!!

I've even thought that maybe we'll just deal with it on my wedding day with no trials, since I want it mostly down and the veils will cover imperfections anyway, and I'll just bring some clips, bobby pins, hair spray, and a curling iron.

• Options
    @jaime232 How did your trial go?  Do you have pics?  I'm dying to see!!  I want something less structured as well.  I passed along the YouTubes Videos to one of my BMs and she suggested braids on top of the mix.  Looks like I have some practicing to do.  It doesn't have to be 'perfect', but I want it to be super cute.  My BM ordered a bunch of cute little roses on bobby pins on Ebay.  My flowers are mostly roses.

@April192002, I love the natural look!  I saw your dress pics, and you have really beautiful hair!  

• Options
    Heyo..  So, my fiance and I chatted, I wanted to get some input from him since I am marrying him after all and mostly I care about what HE thinks about how I look, versus anyone else... so he said he thought full updos were more formal and made sense for a wedding and whatever.  So, I decided to do a trial with a full updo.  I attached two pictures here... the first one is a screenshot from Pinterest and what I showed the stylist.  She was like, "I can totally do that!"

The second pic is what I got, and I'm not TOO thrilled with it.  Although it's not like super ugly.. but it just isn't the look I wanted.  I want loose and romantic and whatever.  My dress has a lot of lace and my venue is outdoors and rustic.  This hairdo I got seems to be more appropriate for like, a satin dress in a church (which is fine for whoever wants that, but not me!).  So, blah.  She said to let her know what I don't like.  I sort of don't like anything, except that it's up, which is what I told her to do LOL.

Makeup, however... amazing.  I want to learn how to airbrush myself for every day of my life.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    @jaime232, I like it, but it needs blingys!  The curls are piled a bit higher on the head than in the picture you were inspired from, so that's why it looks a bit different.  It is very nice!

• Options
    Yeah, I don't know, it just isn't sitting right with me.  There is a jeweled comb on the right side.. but I also have a problem with pictures from the right side of my face (since my bangs go to the left LOL) unless I have some hair hanging down there, and this hairstyle does nothing for that... stressful!

My stylist was telling me about a bride who has come in for three trials, and I'm like HAHAHA that's crazy... but now I understand a little better.
  • Options
    ethelbeaversethelbeavers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2014
    I'm not trying to be mean, but it reminds me of a 90's prom up-do. The picture had a little bit more flow, your result was a little too stiff! It's definitely something you can work with and tweak to be beautiful though! :) Just ask her to trial it again but a little less stiff!
    My hair is short so it will not be very different from my day-to-day look aside from the hair piece and possible veil (undecided on the veil).
  • Options
    It totally does remind me of hair I had for prom (2003-2004ish), which was exactly what I was trying to avoid!  I don't want the like, shellacked, smooth hair and pile of curls.  

I decided to do a half-up hairstyle, I need some hair down.  My dress is strapless so I just think it's the way to go, in this case.  I'm sure that is hard to mess up!  Haha
  • Options
    I am considering this style. Hopefully my hair will behave and not frizz lol
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    My hair trial is on Tuesday.. and I still have no idea what I'm doing!

To the Pinterest machine!

ETA:  If anyone wants to throw ideas out there.. I have fine hair that is about chin length with a bunch of layers and I will be wearing a birdcage veil.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Im doing a sock bun.  No joke.  Totally in love with giant buns right now.  I'm getting my hair trimmed tomorrow and I want to redefine some face framing layers.

• Options
    Sock bun looks great!!  Elegant.

@smilyaries - I found that style for myself too haha.  My hair isn't nearly that thick, so who knows how it'll look.  And I guess all I really want is a half-up hairstyle with some face-framing hair and good curls.  Hopefully the stylist doesn't have trouble with that!
  • Options
    @jaime232‌ ok great. I'm sure that you will look great with the style you prefer. Go follow your instinct! :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I got my hair trial done today!  (Heads up: I will probably take pics down because I don't like my face on the internets.  Please don't be offended! :) )

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Awww I missed it!

Will you show wedding pictures?  You can blur your face out if you are worried about the interwebz.  I wanna see everyone's dresses!

• Options
    @goldchocobo They are still up.

I will put some wedding pics up on this board, but I don't like the idea of leaving them up for the rest of time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh okay...I only see them as broken image icons.  Strange.

• Options
    Hrmm.. let me retry

imageimageimageimage

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't see the pics either.  :\ Did you include them as attachments?  
  • Options
    Darn!  I will attach them when I get home from work and see how that goes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have no clue how I'll do my hair! O.O my stylist is a good 2 ish hours away too so I won't be doing a trial. I was thinking probably an updo and something simple. I like my hair down but it goes flat very easily...well see (yikes I'm daring! Lol)
  • Options
    There you are!

You're so pretty!  I love the veil on you!  I like it a lot.  What are your thoughts?  

• Options
    @goldchocobo- Bawwww, thank you!

I really like all of it.  My hair is chin length and super fine, so I was trilled with how much volume she got especially without any extensions or anything.

I like where she put the veil so it's kind of that pillbox style.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would have thought you had way more hair based on that style.  Your stylist is seriously talented.

ETF words.  I broke my wine fast.

• Options
    Serious volume in that hairstyle!!  Wow, that's amazing.  I've been concerned about mine.. I have like, mid-back length hair, it's pretty thin but there's a lot of it.. I suppose stylists know what they're doing when it comes to volume though.  :) 

LOVE the hairstyle, you look great!
  • Options
    Super gorgeous hairstyles, ladies. We are all going to be classy November brides!

Just a leeeettle bit excited about how my trial went. :) Only 10 more days until the real deal!

• Options
    Yours sort of looks like how I WANTED my trial to go, but I ended up with like high school prom hair.  Gah!  Looks great.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards