Snarky Brides

Calling your fiance your husband instead...

2»

Re: Calling your fiance your husband instead...

• FI calls me his GF because he hates the word Fiancee.  Occasionally he'll say "Wife" to someone (Like if he was on the phone a financial institution....then he'll say "Well she will be my wife in 2 months..") but he thinks Fiancee sounds really snobby.  Meh, in two months, he'll get to say Wife for real, I can wait.  He does say 'my bride-to-be' when it's just us and he's being corny.

I don't like the word 'Hubby' and I am not sure why.  Maybe because it sounds too casual to me?  I dunno...  I did tell FI to NEVER refer to me as "Wifey".
    I blame this (clicky).

LMAO I always think of that scene.  Get out of my brain!  :P
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I strongly dislike the word hubby. I also strongly dislike the word Preggo instead of pregnant.  Last time someone said "I'M PREGGO" on facebook, I was like..."you don't LOOK like spaghetti sauce to me?"  She deleted me.
    I hate the word PREGGERS.  It just sounds like an affliction.My friend had an MSN status if "I'm Preggers!!" for months when she was pregnant with her first child.  Yuck :(

• I strongly dislike the word hubby. I also strongly dislike the word Preggo instead of pregnant.  Last time someone said "I'M PREGGO" on facebook, I was like..."you don't LOOK like spaghetti sauce to me?"  She deleted me.
    I hate the word PREGGERS.  It just sounds like an affliction.My friend had an MSN status if "I'm Preggers!!" for months when she was pregnant with her first child.  Yuck :(

It is one of my strong beliefs that serious things should be taken seriously.  I know, right?!  What a shocking thing to believe!  I'm not saying be a Nazi and don't have any fun in your life, but your husband is your husband, your wife is your wife, your state of human gestation is being pregnant.  Cutesy names for these serious things can go die in a fire. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • My FI may have recently said he's excited I'll soon be his "wee-fee" which I found hilarious.

• I'm the one over here that has no problem with hubby, wifey, or preggo.

*ducks things being thrown*
  • I'm the one over here that has no problem with hubby, wifey, or preggo. *ducks things being thrown*

Yeah, I have no problem with them either, especially since I call my husband by the wrong name all the time. (head hanging)
  • I find it awesome that so many other people find the word fiance to sounds snobby, douchey, pretentious, etc. I always said I felt that way about the word and continued to call him boyfriend. All my friends were like "you're so weird, call him fiance!" so I didn't know so many others hated that word too! 
    I'm with you OP. I am DYING to call him husband but I'm purposely waiting until after the wedding when it will be "real" and so much more fun. I think everything is more fun if you wait until the time it's supposed to happen...like I refused to even look at wedding things online until I got engaged. I didn't want to get engaged and be all excited, and then already have everything planned and not have the excitement of planning, you know what I mean? 

• "Hubby" is truly the worst. Or "The Hubs" as if he is nothing but a title. I have accidentally called FH my husband once. I was pretty embarrassed and corrected myself. Doing it on purpose on facebook is kind of weird.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm the one over here that has no problem with hubby, wifey, or preggo. *ducks things being thrown*

Yeah, I have no problem with them either, especially since I call my husband by the wrong name all the time. (head hanging)
    Same here. None of those offend me in the least bit.

Anniversary
  • @NYCMercedes Wrong name like George instead of Fred or like, Hubby instead of Husband?
  • @NYCMercedes Wrong name like George instead of Fred or like, Hubby instead of Husband?

Like I call my H by my btother's name. Very pathetic.
  • We call each other Fiance.

Sometimes he'll call me his wife to co-workers when telling a story, or he'll call me wifey when he's being cutesy.  I've called him my hubby to be a few times too. 

I haven't called him my husband though, seriously can't wait to call him that though. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh, for some odd reason I hate the word "fiancé". I hate when it comes out of my mouth. I usually just say boyfriend. I just feel like a douche saying it. Throw it in with "panties" and "moist" and you'll have my most irksome trifecta! 
  • Preggo is one of the worst, IMO. You are PREGNANT.
  • lolo883 said:
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't hate the word "hubby." :) Sometimes I'll even refer to him as my future hubbyman or hubs. NEVER without the "future" prefix though. No matter what the nickname, don't use it if you're not actually married.
    I'm with you.  I don't use the word, but I don't hate it. 

My BIL had been with his (now) wife for several years.  For a while, they had no plans on getting married.  I was out with them once while they were still technically BF / GF, and he introduced her as his wife.  I raised an eyebrow and asked later, and she said that he did that just to keep people from asking so many questions about when they're getting married.  It didnt' bother me, and it kinda made sense.
  • I will wait until he actually IS my husband before calling him that. Although whenever we've gone to appts or whatever, people have called him my husband and I don't correct them since he WILL be that, soon enough.

• sarahufl said:

Preggo is one of the worst, IMO. You are PREGNANT.

Even better when people drop one G and it turns to Prego. I always think of the jarred pasta sauce.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Preggo is one of the worst, IMO. You are PREGNANT.
    Even better when people drop one G and it turns to Prego. I always think of the jarred pasta sauce.
    I know a couple who did the whole FB pregnancy announcement by posting a picture of them holding cans of Prego sauce.  Not cute, guys.
  • FI called me his wife last night. My sister went, "She's not your wife yet!" in a VERY sharp tone, hahaha.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I'm a little reticent to say fiance because I feel like there is some implied pressure for people to immediately ask me about wedding plans when I do (and we are at the very beginning stages so I am pretty eager to avoid those questions). But while I haven't known a ton of people who skipped over the fiance step, I've definitely known people who call their boyfriend their fiance prior to any popping of questions, and it always seemed to be used to imply that their relationships were more serious than the more accurate terminology would convey, which always made me wonder why it was so important to them that other people understand how committed they are. That said, my fiance hates the word because he thinks it makes him sound pretentious. And now that I've written it out like 4 times in this one paragraph, I have come to hate it too. I think I will call him "that guy."
  • @peachy13 hit the nail on the head; sometimes I refer to FI as my boyfriend or my husband because for some reason, fiance seems braggy and ostentatious. Or I just don't want the inevitable 20 questions about the wedding planning. But I agree, doing it regularly or publicly (like on FB) is really jumping the gun.
  • Zombie thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards