Not Engaged Yet

Wednesday Chatter

Hi! 

H and I looked at a house last night that we were both in love with on paper. We left with him even more in love with it and with me a little less in love with it. I kind of feel like it's too big for us (there's a master bedroom and guest room on the 2nd floor and then an "attic" area with 3 rooms that could be bedrooms on the 3rd floor, and a full basement). The kitchen is awful. The listing said it was "newer" but 1) there's NO OVEN, 2) the cabinets are meh, 3) the layout is just bad. H says we'll renovate the entire kitchen, we'll turn the the 3rd floor into a sports room for him and a 3rd guest room, and the basement can be a TV room. He has it all figured out and I think if I said I love it, he'd want to put in an offer. We're hopefully going to see more houses in that area soon and can go from there. 

OMG PLL FINALE LAST NIGHT FOR ANYONE ELSE THAT WATCHES OMG. 

I'm tired today for some reason.

Re: Wednesday Chatter

• I was going to watch PLL last night but got caught up changing our pool filter/looking for a leak ugh. So I was going to watch this morning before work - the flea guy called at 8:20 and said he'd be there in 20 min for our second flea treatment. I didn't even know he was coming back! When I scheduled it, they said they would come twice but he never told H he was coming back this week when he sprayed last week! So I quickly picked up a billion boxes off the floor and vacuumed the room I didn't vacuum yesterday (just luck I had vacuumed at all yesterday) in 20 min. Then he sprayed and I had to leave until it dries. Which means I got a publix sub for lunch/dinner/breakfast lol. So I mean there's an upside!

H and FIL are sending my resume and cover letter to everyone they know. FIL has a lot of higher up connections down here and he's very persuasive (his job is to negotiate contracts) so I'm really hopeful that I'll at least get an interview out of this! I am obviously still applying to jobs on my own but not today because phones don't work for job applications and oh yea the flea guy kicked me out of the house. I work 11-7:30 though so not much free time all day!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @swazzle also, we are totally redoing our kitchen and baths when we get the money. They're live able for now (we even have an oven!) but the layout in the kitchen and the one bath are just not user friendly. It's hard when your H falls in love with a house you're just meh over. I hope you find your dream house for both of you soon!!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @swazzle -I can't believe the house didn't have an OVEN! I hope that y'all find something soon that you're both in love with!

So cramping from hell started yesterday right when I got to crossfit so I basically dragged myself around the box until I was done working out. I skipped H's softball game because I felt like poop and Maddux was being a brat so I put him in his crate. My phone was also not receiving texts all day yesterday and I didn't find out until H came up to me and was like, "did you see mom's text about dinner".....Uh no. I hate that.

Hopefully today will be a lot better. The cramps have settled down and Maddux was nicer to me this morning and not biting me. He needs to learn that play biting is not ok for humans. After work we are going out to dinner with H's mom and stepdad to this place called Bistro Bite. I'm about to go look at the menu.
  • I can actually say OMG PLL!! I caught up!!! Today I'm back at work but still feeling crummy! I have dinner plans tonight with two of my besties, so I'm happy about that!!

@swazzle when my fi(then bf) and I were house hunting he fell in love with a house and I was meh about it... He got his way, though... And I ended up loving it...though in hindsight it was much too much house for us.
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    @Blue - Good luck with getting an interview! Fingers are crossed! AND GO WATCH PLL IMMEDIATELY. 

@LivLeighton - Those are my thoughts exactly. We have to buy furniture for all of that space after we pay to have it renovated and then we also have to heat/cool that space that we're rarely using. It just seems like too much to me. 

ETA: Liv! Try to have fun tonight on your date! And report back with all details tomorrow :)

• @southernpeach89 - The best way to fight cramps is with ice cream, just sayin'. 

@BreMR - H just texted me and asked if I'm unsure about the house (we discussed my reservations in depth last night so I don't even know why he's asking me again right now!). I told him that I don't want to only look at one house and make a decision. I can tell how much he loves this one. And I love a lot of it, there's just also things that I don't love. 

• @Swazzle - If it makes you feel any better, our place is a total gut of the kitchen (really, hideous 70s style), bathrom and powder room (both 40s pink tile/blue sinks, etc.), unfinished basement, etc.  List could go on and on.  The key thing I found when house hunting that H and I wouldn't sacrifice was location and lot size...two things you can never change.  You'd be amazed what a little elbow grease can do.

@LivLeigthon - Good luck with your date tonight.  Let us know how it goes.

@SouthernPeach89 - Ugh, cramps.  I'm sorry.  I take the pill without a break for 4 or so months at a time so I tend to forget how aweful they can be.  Why was Maddux being a brat?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so beat today. Our dog was up three times (around 12:30, 2, 4:30) barking at nothing.  I didn't get a restful sleep.  On the bright side, my boss agreed to let me work remotely on Friday so I will have time to make food for the funeral on Saturday.  I just need this week to be over but I have meetings and work this week that has to get done. 

Sunday H and I will tackle more home projects but I'm looking forward to Labor Day (our bank account isn't though)...H and I are buying a TON of stuff.  New kitchen appliances (fridge, oven, hood, microwave, dishwasher), new bathroom stuff for a new bathroom we are creating and a bathroom and a half we are gutting, curtains, blinds, flooring, patio furniture, lawn care stuff (mower, blowers, etc.) you name it.  We put it off to try to get deals this upcoming weekend but it is going to be frigging expensive.

• I have had almost constant headaches since my hangover on Sunday morning, and am sick of it :-(

FI is out on a BOAT all day with his coworkers, so I'm jealous of that, because I looooove boats and I really wish that spouses/GF's/partners would have been invited to this thing. Oh well. 

I'm also annoyed with myself because although I brought a t-shirt and sports bra and sneakers with me to work, I totally forgot shorts, making it impossible to go straight to the gym after work.

I want sushi.

#rantover
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @minskat30 - H wants a total fixer upper and I'd prefer to not have to do anything so I've already resigned to the fact that we'll compromise (especially based on our budget and the fact that we live in NJ). It's not so much that the house needs work (realistically, it doesn't need THAT much work) but more that it's really big and it's just H and me and there's a good chance that it'll always only just be us. And I'm still totally thrown by there not being an oven. 

• @swazzle do you know anyone handy? I mean I can lend you my H for a week or so if you want - he just doesn't like doing major electrical rewires. But I mean we are going to put a roof on our house within the year with some help from his dad. So he can definitely remodel a kitchen if need be :) oh wait! My uncle is a construction worker in NY/NJ! Seriously I'll get you his number if you need it! Not sure of his prices but his work is awesome (he built most of our NJ house through additions when I was growing up!)
  • @minskat30 good luck with your Labor Day sales!! Aren't you just LOVING all the junk mail about refinancing your home etc etc etc? Sometimes I wonder why housing records are public
  • @swazzle do you know anyone handy? I mean I can lend you my H for a week or so if you want - he just doesn't like doing major electrical rewires. But I mean we are going to put a roof on our house within the year with some help from his dad. So he can definitely remodel a kitchen if need be :) oh wait! My uncle is a construction worker in NY/NJ! Seriously I'll get you his number if you need it! Not sure of his prices but his work is awesome (he built most of our NJ house through additions when I was growing up!)
    Yea, my uncle is a plumber and H's good friend that he's known since he was a kid owns his own construction company (they specialize in bathroom/kitchen remodels actually). It's really not that the house needs work, I went into this whole thing knowing that we'd most likely have to renovate at least a little bit in any house we buy. I just don't know what we would do with all the space in this particular house. 

• @hummingbird125 the thought of anyone trying to workout without shorts is kinda hilarious :) is there maybe a target nearby or on the way that you could just grab some cheaper shorts and not have to go home?
  • @LivLeighton High five to you for going to the gym in the morning! I would rather go to the gym at 12 o'clock at night than get up early and go to the gym. It makes way more sense to go in the morning, but I can never get myself out of bed. Also, my relatively pleasant personality is more comparable to grumpy troll in the morning. I would scare everyone in the gym. 

Good luck on your date! Go get yourself a special treat for getting out of your comfort zone. 

@southernpeach89 Did you just at that ticker of you and your H? I have never seen it before. I love your dress! 

@Swazzle That is so odd that the house doesn't have an oven. I am huge on my first impression with houses. If I don't "connect" with it when I walk through, I have a hard time committing to it. However, a little elbow grease can make a huge difference. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't have much going on. I just cleaned the house last night, and continued to pack for the fall semester. I decided to go ahead and look for a different dress for the wedding this weekend. I didn't think it was appropriate to wear off white to a wedding, and all of you lovely ladies confirmed my gut feeling yesterday. 

• @swazzle understandable about the space issue. We have too much space now but it'll be enough space if we have 1-3 kids. Which aren't coming for at least 2-3 years but ya know. If we don't do kids, we will have an office, a man cave, and a crafting room lol.
  • @minskat30 -When I got home, he was being overly aggressive when we were playing and started biting so I tried to correct him so he would understand that he isn't supposed to do that and it just made him go crazier. I got fed up after trying to correct him from biting over and over again so I stuck him in his crate for like 10 minutes. Fixed everything lol. He just had sooo much energy that he like literally jumped from my couch to the recliner and was running back and forth barking at everything. I think he was possessed for a little while lol.

@justbeingme93 -Yes I just added it lol. Thank you! I love it too! It's one of my favorite pictures.
  • Also, it was semi normal for houses to not have all their appliances when we were looking. Our fridge is from the 70s lol, but at least we have one. The foreclosures were most likely not to have appliances, and some even had gaping holes in the walls lol (there was one with a giant hole in the wall where a fish tank had been!)
  • We're still undecided on kids so 3 bedrooms would be nice but technically this house could be 5 bedrooms. It's just seems a little excessive to me. The house does have a lot of potential and H's thing is that it's the style we want and that's going to be hard to come by in the area we want and for the price we want. 

Re: the appliances: this house is currently lived in by the owner. There's a gas cook-top over by the counter and cabinets and there's a space one of the walls with a gas hookup but there's just no oven and apparently there hasn't been one. 

• @Swazzle - I'm totally with @LivLeighton on the whole "too big" and renovations thing. Right now we could use that extra space, but if I didn't have kids, I'm not sure I'd want a whole bunch of rooms to clean. Ain't nobody got time for that!

@Blue - YOU HAVE A POOL? That's it, I'm coming over this weekend. ;-)

I am such a grump ass this morning. I woke up at 3:30 because my nose was running (I swear, I am so effing over allergy season. I couldn't make it stop, so I gave in and took Benadryl at 4 am (after doing a load of laundry ha!) It didn't really kick in until 4:30 right before Q's alarm went off. So when I finally got back to sleep, it was time to get up and I'm a grump ass now. 

On a much happier note, I went with Q to pick out the stone for my ring! And it's being sent to the wax maker today, so I"m really excited to see it. I'm not sure if I'll be involved after this, but it's exciting either way. Also, Holy SHIT! 17 days? EEEK

• Swazzle said:
    We're still undecided on kids so 3 bedrooms would be nice but technically this house could be 5 bedrooms. It's just seems a little excessive to me. The house does have a lot of potential and H's thing is that it's the style we want and that's going to be hard to come by in the area we want and for the price we want. 

Re: the appliances: this house is currently lived in by the owner. There's a gas cook-top over by the counter and cabinets and there's a space one of the walls with a gas hookup but there's just no oven and apparently there hasn't been one. 
    Hey, just make sure you throw a little elbow grease around. 

*******************************************************************************************

• @ollie08 moving party on Saturday! There was a drowned rat in the pool yesterday but it's chlorinated so no big, right!? Also I'm working 3-10 on your wedding day. Could you move the wedding earlier so I can be your stealth photographer?!
  • @Swazzle The lack of the oven really turns me off to that house. I mean, home renovations to an extent are ok. But let me tell you from experience that with two people working full time jobs, home renovations can be really realy time consuming and annoying if you can't devote your full attention to them. It sounds like a great house but as a first time buyer you are in a good position. I'd keep looking and see what else is on the market for now.

@southernpeach89 What kind of bite correction are you using? Cinders used to like to chew on us a lot too when she was a very young puppy but we were able to work it out of her pretty quickly. I'm sorry he is being a brat lately!!

I don't have anything interesting going on today. Yesterday I wrapped our GM and BM gifts and added some extra goodies in them. I also bought some decor for the RD and I'm thinking about ordering some bulk flowers from Costco, but I need to figure out the ideal delivery date first. I'm thinking either the Wednesday or Tuesday before the RD to give the flowers enough time to open.

• @SouthernPeach89 - I swear our dog is possessed ALL the time.  :)  With biting, have you tried the "kisses" trick with putting peanut butter on your fingers and telling Maddux "kisses" so he learns not to bite?  It helped with our dog when he was still a pup.
  • @swazzle How ... how does a potentially 5-bedroom house not have an oven? And yes, too much space is a real thing. My best friend just moved to a new apartment, and it's HUGE with not enough storage space. She's very frustrated because even if she went out and spent $3000-$4000 at IKEA, the place is large enough that she's not sure what she'd do with a lot of the space.

I'm feeling frustrated today. It looks like I've got a 12-hour day tomorrow, which means that either I'm going to the gym super late at night (well, okay, 8 or 9, and they're open till 10), or I have to leave work and come back for time points. And thanks to my cells, that means that I can't go to surprise my friend at the airport tonight, and I can't go to a friend's going-away party on Friday night.

And, weirdly enough, I'm frustrated because I have therapy at noon and I feel like nothing happened this week, so there's nothing for me to talk about.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • BF and I are doing fine relationship wise, but we both suffer depression. This morning he said he is feeling "bored" with his life, and it makes me feel awful. I feel like I don't do enough exciting things for us/him. I tried making him feel better by reminding him of all of the plans we have for the rest of the year (halloween horror nights, a trip to tampa to get tattoos, going to disney, and spending the holidays together for the first time, not to mention the fact that we're moving in together in January) and he said he's looking forward to those things, but he feels so "blah" about everything else.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. The insecure part of me thinks it is my fault he is bored of his life, but the logical part of me knows it his job and that some of his friends have been kind of rude lately, and that his relationship with his dad isn't what it used to be.

On a lighter note, I went to starbucks this morning and paid for a grande but was given a venti. yummmm

• @LaPeanut1018 -We have been saying "No" and then giving him a dog toy and then saying "Yes" so he knows that biting us is wrong and then if he wants to bite something to use a toy. It's only bad when he goes crazy pants and starts acting like a maniac. 

@minskat30 -We haven't done that method yet. I'll need to try that next time he does this and see if that works.
  • @swazzle I'd *almost* rather look at houses missing appliances.  Then at least you get to pick out your own.  Most of the houses in my price range around here say 'all appliances stay!'  Then you look at the pics and think "Well of course you're leaving them.  They're avocado green and older than me!  Don't want 'em, take them with you!!"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @southernpeach89 We'd tell Cinders to be nice or say "Ouch!!" or yelp or something. Usually the ouch! surprised her and got her to stop and then we'd praise. Or if she switched to kisses we'd praise praise praise. There were a couple times she bit us hard and caught us by surprise while we were playing with a toy and we probably didn't react the best....Tim put her on her back and got in her face a few times, but it definitely helped.

• @LaPeanut1018 -Yea Sean has gotten in his face sometimes when he bites hard. He doesn't bite Sean much though, it's usually me because I see him right when he gets out of his crate and has energy multiplied by infinity. I'll just yelp next time he does it and see what he does.
  • @LaPeanut1018 - What did you guys get for your GM and BMs? 

@phira - That's my fear. I mean, it originally felt like a silly complaint especially coming from an apartment. The more I talk it out and think about it and look at the pictures again, though, I feel like maybe we would be ok space-wise. H is definitely putting my mind at ease but I don't want to just jump at the first house regardless. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards