Wisconsin

Is this normal??

I'm from a northern MKE suburb where bar hopping between the ceremony and reception is "the thing" to do for bridal parties.  My fiance and sisters seem to think that this is something that everyone does...I'm just curious to see what everyone else's thoughts are on walking into bars in a wedding dress.  Thanks!!

Re: Is this normal??

• edited December 2011
    This is definitely something that happens with a lot of Wisconsin weddings.  At least in my realm, in the FDL area.  We were married in Menomonee Falls and avoided it by having a later ceremony, followed by cocktail hour starting immediately afterward.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

It is something that is done commonly in WI. People seem to love it  :)

• BackpackersBackpackers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've only been to about six weddings in Wisconsin and been in three of them. I think about half of them went bar hopping. However, one of the weddings that didn't go bar hopping had a get together at their house in order to drink a few beers before going to the reception. I don't know if we'll do it or not. I guess it depends on how much time is left after pictures. I think I'd like to be able to experience my cocktail hour to eat some of the fabulous appetizers!!! :) And, I'm not sure I'd be a fan of getting my dress dirty with bar juice. :)
  • edited December 2011
    People definitely do it if they have time after there pictures and before their cocktail hour officially starts.  I personally do not want to risk getting my dress dirty or smell like smoke before the reception.  If you have extra time, talk to your reception place and see if they would serve the wedding party a drink before the reception officially starts if you want to get a couple drinks in before hand.
  • edited December 2011
    I think this is pretty normal - almost every wedding I've been to has done this.  We actually didn't do it at ours, as we had cocktial hour almost imediately following the ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!  I was kind of skeptical about doing it in the downtown area (where we're going to have our pics taken), but it seems to be the normal thing in WI!
  • edited December 2011
    I think its tacky but I know some people are expecting it. So for us, we are leaving just enough time to take pictures and get to the real party.

You can bar hop any other day...
  • edited December 2011
    People do it, but I just think it is disrespectful.  All these people come to see you and your groom... it is rude to have them wait around while the wedding party bar hops.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have not heard of the wedding party doing it, but I have seen guests do it when there is waaaaaay to much time between ceremony and reception.  Heck, I would also as a guest if I had to kill three hours + until the reception. 

Anniversary
  • michelle142michelle142 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's pretty normal.

Every wedding I've been a part of, the bridal party has gone bar hopping.

The way we scheduled our wedding we didn't have time to bar-hop though. We just went from ceremony to pictures to reception.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't do it.  We had a later ceremony and by the time we were done with pictures our cocktail hour was over and it was time for dinner.  I don't think I'd want to hang out in a bar in my wedding dress, but maybe that's just me.  As a guest I've done it many times when there has been a ridiculous amount of time between the ceremony and receptions but that's different. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • verovladamirverovladamir member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea! Our ceremony is in Menomonee Falls, which doesn't necessarily have all that many bars to hop to. We are planning on having a later ceremony on a Friday though, with very little time open before the reception, so I don't think it will even be an option for us. 
    Per angusta ad augusta Through trial to triumph Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Bar hopping is a normal thing in WI. But is up to the bride and groom if they want to do it. We are not bar hopping, but almost every wedding I have been in has bar hopped after pictures and before the recpetion. The guests are not kept waiting for the bride and groom, because they are having cocktail hour. The bar hopping is only for about an hour or so.
  • edited December 2011
    I am new to WI and I have never heard that! Nor would I ever imagine doing it. I wouldn't doubt that it happens though, since WI seems to be all about getting drunk - but I just think its tasteless. But then again, I dont go to bars anyways. Just my opinion - but its your day so do whatever makes you happy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards