Wedding Etiquette Forum

Asking to bring +1

Lhilb630Lhilb630 member
5 Love Its First Comment
edited August 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
We have some friends asking if they can bring a +1 even when invitation was only addressed to them. I know bad etiquette but we can't afford for our single friends to just bring anyone. And now some of them are asking to bring a friend or sibling with. What to do or say?

Re: Asking to bring +1

• First off, are these truly single people or do they have a SO? If they have a SO, they need to be invited.

Otherwise, I would just say, "I'm sorry, but we are unable to accomodate your friend/sibling. We hope you will still be able to join us".

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If the guest truly single, it is not bad etiquette to only invite that person. You're in the clear, and you can tell them that unfortunately you can not accommodate for them to bring an extra person.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• @AprilH81, you beat me to the punch! Great minds, great minds.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Lhilb630Lhilb630 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014
    One friend was single but now is saying he has a girlfriend. My problem is his girlfriends change every other month plus why do I want this "girlfriend" at my wedding when I'll probably never see her again. And the friend asking to bring his twin brother who is a very bad influence (out of control partier) so we don't want him their influencing our friend we invited. But we know both of them but only stay in contact with the one we invited
  • If they call up and say can "I bring my boyfriend/girlfriend/partner?" You should say "Yes" as he is not a plus one, but a significant other. If they call up and say can "I bring my friend/sibling/random person I'm not dating?" You can say "No, I'm sorry we can't accommodate your friend/sibling" as they are not part of a social unit.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Lhilb630 said:
    One friend was single but now is saying he has a girlfriend. My problem is his girlfriends change every other month plus why do I want this "girlfriend" at my wedding when I'll probably never see her again. And the friend asking to bring his twin brother who is a very bad influence (out of control partier) so we don't want him their influencing our friend we invited. But we know both of them but only stay in contact with the one we invited
    If he says he has a girlfriend, she must be invited.  Period.  You don't get to judge the seriousness of someone else's relationship!  The bolded is very judgmental and a terrible reason not to invite someone.  Maybe she's the One, maybe she's not, but right now they identify as a social unit and must be invited as such.

The only exception is if he was truly single at the time the invitations went out, and has since started dating the girlfriend in the meantime.  In that case, it would be nice but not required to invite her, since she wasn't in the picture when the invites went out.  But if invites haven't gone out yet, or if they were already dating at the time, she must be invited.  

The twin brother doesn't need to be invited at all.  If the guest is single, a plus one is not required.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Lhilb630 said:
    It doesn't matter if they change every month.   If he has a SO let her come.    By the same logic you could get divorced so why invite your FI/husband?

As for those not wanting to bring a SO, it's fine to say no. 
  • The invite went out when he was single. He RSVP with just himself then 1 week after getting RSVP he texted my fiancé saying hey was wondering if I could bring a girl. They are not official on Facebook and he is very up to date with his social media. Never said girlfriend just " a girl"
  • Lhilb630 said:
    The invite went out when he was single. He RSVP with just himself then 1 week after getting RSVP he texted my fiancé saying hey was wondering if I could bring a girl. They are not official on Facebook and he is very up to date with his social media. Never said girlfriend just " a girl"
    So he wants to bring a date, not a girlfriend. I think that's still a +1 no. 

I'm hoping to avoid this issue by sending invitations with everyone's name on them - even the SOs I've never met. I'm hoping that way that if people break up, guests won't decide to tack on a friend or a date just because they have the +1 'slot'. Inviting 'and guest' just seems impersonal to me - you're invited with your SO by name because they deserve their own name. If SO declines to come because he/she is no longer SO, then it is what it is. 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • Lhilb630 said:
    The invite went out when he was single. He RSVP with just himself then 1 week after getting RSVP he texted my fiancé saying hey was wondering if I could bring a girl. They are not official on Facebook and he is very up to date with his social media. Never said girlfriend just " a girl"
    Then just say, "I'm sorry we didn't know you're dating someone now!   How long have you been together?   What's her name?"

If he says that it's not a relationship, it's fine to say no. 
  • Lhilb630 said:
    Lhilb630 said:
    To both of the bolded pieces: So which is it? It makes a really big difference in what you should do.

If the first bolded is true and he called her his "girlfriend", then you need to invite her. If the second bolded is true and he wants to bring "a girl", then you don't need to. Clarify with him. It's a simple question: "Hi JoeSchmo - is JaneDoe your girlfriend?" If he says yes, invite her. If he says no, you can say, "I'm really sorry, but we cannot accommodate extra guests. Can just you still make it?"

As for the guest wanting to bring his twin brother, no. Obviously you would have invited the other one if you had wanted him to be there...

The general rule is: If it's an SO, they get invited. Period. Anyone else, it's a plus one and you can accommodate or not as you please.
    *********************************************************************************

• Lhilb630Lhilb630 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for your help @MegEn1 Yes the friends that have SO we made it very clear with there names on the invitations. We like for it to be a very intimate wedding and hope that we would know all of our friends and families Significant others that they would take the time to introduce us to them before the wedding. Like out for dinner or when we hang out casually. That is why I am so torn by just letting guests bring people they are casually seeing and we do not know. I personally think it would be awkward for the guest they bring because they won't know anyone.
  • No, it's more awkward to be someone's SO and not feel welcome just because you haven't met the B&G yet. These people could end up married some day. Start off on a good note, not an awkward one.
  • edited August 2014
    Lhilb630 said:
    Thanks for your help @MegEn1 Yes the friends that have SO we made it very clear with there names on the invitations. We like for it to be a very intimate wedding and hope that we would know all of our friends and families Significant others that they would take the time to introduce us to them before the wedding. Like out for dinner or when we hang out casually. That is why I am so torn by just letting guests bring people they are casually seeing and we do not know. I personally think it would be awkward for the guest they bring because they won't know anyone.
    It sounds like you're trying to do the right thing and that's awesome!

But I do want to caution you about the "we don't know them" "we have never met them" thing. If they consider themselves in a relationship, the person they're in a relationship with gets invited. Whether you know them or not. Whether you've met them or not. Whether you think the relationship is "serious" or "casual"... Just invite people w/ their SOs. It's against etiquette not to. 

Here's an example: A really good friend of mine lives across the country from me. She was dating a guy when we got married. I had never met him. She considered them in a relationship so I invited him. I met him for the first time at our wedding. They are getting married in 3 weeks. Don't take it upon yourself to judge the relationships of others. It's not your place. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks everyone I guess I need to get clarification from him if it is his girlfriend or not. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
  • This might be a good place to clarify this. My understanding was that if you send out the invitation and someone is TRULY single at the time, you are not obliged to invite their SO if they get one between invites going out and the wedding. It's nice if you can fit them, but it's not required. 

Is that right or wrong? If so, is it expected the guest will call up and say 'Hey FYI I'm in a relationship now as of last week, so two of us will be coming'? I'm not asking to be smarmy or get out of extending the appropriate invitations, I'm genuinely curious.

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • MegEn1 said:
    This might be a good place to clarify this. My understanding was that if you send out the invitation and someone is TRULY single at the time, you are not obliged to invite their SO if they get one between invites going out and the wedding. It's nice if you can fit them, but it's not required. 

Is that right or wrong? If so, is it expected the guest will call up and say 'Hey FYI I'm in a relationship now as of last week, so two of us will be coming'? I'm not asking to be smarmy or get out of extending the appropriate invitations, I'm genuinely curious.
    You are correct.  If the relationship is defined after invites go out it is NOT REQUIRED that you extend an invitation, but it is a very nice thing to do if you have the space and budget for one more.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I do not think you're in the wrong. You sent your single friend a single invite, if you have room for whoever his "girl" might be then great but if not then you are not being rude by not inviting her after the fact.
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Girl, do what YOU want. I don't understand why other brides on this site are telling you what you MUST do! Im sorry, I didnt realize that by responding to a post gives you the authority to make the final decision. Also, who is paying for the wedding and all of the MUST invites? You do whats right for you and your fiance and your budget!
  • ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    MegEn1 said:
    This might be a good place to clarify this. My understanding was that if you send out the invitation and someone is TRULY single at the time, you are not obliged to invite their SO if they get one between invites going out and the wedding. It's nice if you can fit them, but it's not required. 

Yes, with the caveat that this isn't true if you send your invitations out ridiculously early (e.g. 4 months before the wedding).  If you send your invitations out 8 weeks before the wedding and someone gets into a relationship in that 2 month window then you are not obligated to invite their significant other, but it's a nice thing to do if you can.

• Lhilb630 said:

Can we stop using Facebook as to whether or not someone is in a relationship. FFS, there are people i know that have never changed their relationship, even though they are in one. Some don't have their relationship on their profile.

Facebook is not the be all and end all.

So much this! I was with FI a year and a half before we updated FB. It slipped our minds and one day after an old HS acquaintance basically hit on me on FB FI sent the little relationship request.

I'm bad at updating FB. I still work at the job I had 3 years ago and live somewhere I haven't been in 2 years.
  • Lhilb630 said:
    Can we stop using Facebook as to whether or not someone is in a relationship. FFS, there are people i know that have never changed their relationship, even though they are in one. Some don't have their relationship on their profile.

Omg, agree! When my boyfriend and I (the most recent one before I met H) broke up and I had to change my relationship status on FB I swore I would never change it again. I had to make the ex-bf sit at his computer while we "broke up" on FB so we could both hide the stories from our news feeds. I just couldn't deal with "allisonelizabeth is single" or "bf is single" showing up on peoples news feeds. Breaking up is hard enough without FB shouting it from the rooftops.
    Anniversary

• Lhilb630 said:

Hey, I was invited to a wedding without my BF even though we did declare ourselves to be in a relationship on Facebook, and I declined.  It was very hurtful, especially coming from someone I was close to.  It may not be the end all or be all, but it is a useful tool.  If someone does declare themselves to be in a relationship on Facebook, I think it's a pretty safe bet that yes, they do need to be invited together.
  • Girl, do what YOU want. I don't understand why other brides on this site are telling you what you MUST do! Im sorry, I didnt realize that by responding to a post gives you the authority to make the final decision. Also, who is paying for the wedding and all of the MUST invites? You do whats right for you and your fiance and your budget!
    Posts like this, and especially the bold, make me sad as yet another bride seems to not grasp proper etiquette towards her guests.  What really makes me sad is that this is the only post the OP gave a "love it" to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards