Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Candy Bar

Hi, I am having a candy bar at my wedding. I am trying to compare websites for the cheapest but best sites to buy the candy from. Did anybody have a candy bar? Did anybody buy candy from these websites? Thanks for your help!

Re: Candy Bar

• Options
    Personally I'd hit up sales, or a place like BJ's, Sam's Club, or Costco. 
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Our venue bought most of the candy from Costco. Some of the old school candy was bought online. I can't remember the site right now though.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We actually severely struck out with Costco candy. I don't know why, but they really didn't have anything that we wanted or liked. We will more than likely be buying in-bulk online.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Have you tried Oriental Trading?
  • Options
    We did not have a candy bar nor have we ever been to one that has had one.  I would love to go to a wedding that had one!

For buying, try candywarehouse.  You can search by color, flavor, occasion, brand, etc.

• Options
    Amazon. They have several different vendors based on what you pick. If you are close to a large city,here might be a candy warehouse. In Los Angeles, there is Jacks Wholesale Candy. It was even cheaper than Amazon and had the candy by color. Good luck.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Options
    Coalette2013Coalette2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    Are you going for a specific style of candy, like old school? Or a color theme of common candy? Depending on when your wedding is, think about upcoming holidays and the colors associated with them (if going for a certain color). 

We got married 6 weeks after Valentine's Day, and our colors were Pink and Teal, so I got a variety of pink candies that worked out really well. We had Starbursts, M & Ms, Dove Hearts, Candy Corn (had no idea they made them in pink), Butterfinger Hearts, Crunch Hearts, Hershey Kisses, Truffles, 3 Musketeers, and some personalized M & Ms. We got the majority of it after V-day and got great deals. 

For our containers, we used clear plastic ones from Party City. They had a variety of styles and sizes, and were much more affordable than the glass options. I really wanted the glass (just so pretty) but for me it came down to budget.

I didn't get candy from Oriental Trading, but got other items and had no issues with them.

Good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    An aside--make sure you have pretty serving ware that actually scoops up the candy, like silver scoops or the like.  I was at a wedding that had vases of jelly beans, etc. and nothing to scoop it with.  You could use your container, or someone went and put a spoon in it.  Like teaspoon.  So you could either reach into the vase to get the teaspoon, which was gross since you're basically putting your hands in the candy, and then trying to spoon it into the Chinese food container three jellybeans at a time.  No bueno.

Get good scoops that don't have the handle sitting in the candy.  And don't take 50 dips to get to the candy.
  • Options
    Found this site, might work for you:

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    we had great luck with Costco. Maybe it's seasonal?   Of course, it wasn't color matched to our wedding. But it was a HUGE hit.  Got chocolate covered toffee, m&ms (peanut & plain), red vines, sour candies, um...  like three or four other things.  And I made a dum dum topiary to sit in the middle of the table.  It was adorable.  We also did a cookie and dessert buffet, so the candy bar was mixed with brownies, various cookies, lemon bars, etc.
  • Options
    @QueerFemme They have their halloween candy out right now, big bulk mix bags of the good stuff.

Not gonna lie, I want to see that dumdum topiary you made.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:
    @QueerFemme They have their halloween candy out right now, big bulk mix bags of the good stuff.

Not gonna lie, I want to see that dumdum topiary you made.
    I never got a photo of it on the actual candy table...  but this is it. I finished it in my hotel room the night before the wedding. :)
  • Options
    That is FUCKING INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    caitlinmcacaitlinmca member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    @QueerFemme may I ask how you did the dumdum topiary? That's a sweet idea if I may borrow it?

Also everyone, what do you find the most popular types of candy/candies to be? We are having a candy bar too, and I don't want to buy candy that nobody likes/eats and have the idea be a disaster.

Our cake lady is also hopefully going to make cake pops as well, and we are cutting the top tier of our cake and serving it instead of saving it, and any left over cake, I am hoping to find little "to go" boxes that people can take a slice or two of cake home if we have any left over and they want some.

edit for paragraphs. hopefully it worked.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I bought a foam ball from the craft store and painted it silver. I got the stick also from the craft store, painted it and then wrapped it with ribbon. Then glued the stick into the ball, and the other end into foam squares. Then covered the foam in the pot with those little jewel rocks from the dollar store for weight.

Then, poke the dumdums into the foam.

You can google other ideas also! There are a ton of them.
  • Options
    @QueerFemme may I ask how you did the dumdum topiary? That's a sweet idea if I may borrow it?

Also everyone, what do you find the most popular types of candy/candies to be? We are having a candy bar too, and I don't want to buy candy that nobody likes/eats and have the idea be a disaster.

Our cake lady is also hopefully going to make cake pops as well, and we are cutting the top tier of our cake and serving it instead of saving it, and any left over cake, I am hoping to find little "to go" boxes that people can take a slice or two of cake home if we have any left over and they want some.

edit for paragraphs. hopefully it worked.

*Stuck in the box*

We had M&Ms (regular and peanut), and those went really fast. I'm glad I bought extra to refill the bowls. People also liked the Sixlets, Whoppers, and chocolate coins (we got married in Vegas).

Basically, everything with chocolate was a hit. People did take some licorice, and I saw lots of lollipops and hard candy disappearing into purses.

We had little "to go" boxes and bags, so the candy bar was pretty wiped out by the end of the night. People only took a bit at first, but as the evening wound down, I started passing word around to take as much as they wanted so we wouldn't have leftovers.

We had cupcakes instead of cake, so cupcakes went into the boxes and people used the bags for candy.

• Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I ordered candy online for my colors. But I ended up getting a few things from the dollar store. It wasn't all my colors but I thought I could have some variety since it was so cheap!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards