Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Unity candle or sand

Re: Unity candle or sand

• I have to say, I'm not doing either but I MUCH prefer the Unity candle. It looks far classier, and involves your families. It seems much more symbolic.
     I'm sorry, I just realllllllly dislike sand ceremonies (a big part of that is the fact that I don't think they ever look particularly nice...more like a craft project). If that helps! Plus, with a Unity Candle you can light it on your anniversaries, etc. Just more ceremony in it :)
    "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." ~Moulin Rouge
  • We are doing the candle. I like the sand, but I figure after a while, especially if it get knocked over or packed, it'll all mix together and won't look the same as it did on your wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Neither.  We were very traditional.  We went with vows.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We didn't do either.  Neither held any significance to us so we skipped them. 
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We may or may not do sand...havnt decided...but I hate unity candles (feel too ritualistic to me...like I should be in a super serious somber mood in a super old church or something)  and I like the idea of having something to keep as home decor from the ceremony, but having said that, its more my FI that wants it then me. I would rather do nothing, but he likes the idea.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• We're doing a unity candle.  We're using floating candles, though.  Sand ceremony just look so awkward and messy, at least the ones I've seen.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We are doing a rose ceremony.  Tired of sand and candles.  Well, not really on candles entirely, but daytime, outside...
  • We are doing a version of the sand ceremony.  I liked the idea of a candle but since our ceremony is outside, I didn't like the idea of it blowing out :)

We found grandulated wax.  It looks like sand, but you can put a wick in it and burn it like a candle.  So while most of the wording is for the sand ceremony, we can still light it on anniversaries and everything.  We were also able to find unscented grandualted wax in our colors.

• osh99osh99 member
    First Comment
    I am doing both.  My FI has two kids that he has sole custody of and they are our maid of honor and best man (we have adults too).  Him and I are doing a unity candle and then the four of us are doing the unity sand.  Like clcranda, we are using the colored wax so we can seal the top and not worry about the sand spilling out in moving or if it gets knocked over.  I also got a floating unity candle so I could use the vase with flowers for the rest of our lives.  I am big about spending money on practicle things, not things that will be packed away for the rest of our lives.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing the sand . We will have one with a lid to put in our house afterwards! That way we can use the colors of our wedding as well! We are lighting a memorial candle in memory of my mom, so we didnt want to do another candle.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dappledachsiedappledachsie member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We will be doing a sand ceremony. I hate candle ceremonies because the candle is supposed to represent the joining of two families and the eternal flame/love...however what happens at the end of your ceremony?? Someone blows/snuffs out the cnadle. I just don't like that representation. For us the sand is a better representation of the joining of our lives and families.

The entire concept is kind of lost on my fiance...but he gets the concept of the mixing sand vs snuffed candle, so he agrees the sand is better for us. He asks how we will keep it from spilling/mizing/etc...so its not entirely planned out yet but we're working on the details.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • We are doing sand and have a top on it so the sand doesn't spill out.  I also like the idea of writing the letters and putting them in a box for you to open however many years later and you can read them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards