Just Engaged and Proposals

Downsizing our wedding

My fiance and I have a rather large wedding planned for my grandfather's birthday in May of 2015. I have always wanted a small, simple wedding and always assumed he wanted something bigger. Somehow, our wedding turned into 250+ guests, etc. We both realized it isn't what we want. Instead, we would rather move the wedding date up. We have been together almost 9 years. We are ready. So my question(s) are: (1) How do I properly announce to my family that we have decided not to celebrate our day on my Grandfather's birthday and (2) How do we tell our wedding party that we have downsized and have decided on no bridesmaids/groomsmen (All bridesmaids have been formerly asked). Thank you! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! #inabind

Re: Downsizing our wedding

• jackannlujackannlu member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2014
    Have you sent out STDs yet? If so, everyone who received a STD will be expecting an invite so it'll be kind of tough to downsize at this point. 

Or do you mean you just need to notify your immediate family about the change of date? Is there a specific reason you guys chose your grandfather's birthday to begin with? You could say that you guys rather have a date that would be all your own.

As for the BP, if they have not spent any money on your wedding yet, I think just explaining to them that you both realized a small wedding is what you guys want should suffice. Obviously, they were part of your BP because they mean a lot to you, which means you probably mean a lot to them as well so I'm guessing they will understand.  
  • I guess the largest issue is that our new venue will allow 25 people. Just immediate family, but that means 5 of my bridesmaids (who are family) will be there. Only Two groomsmen will. I'm in a huge bind because I can allow them to do their part at our small ceremony (I don't care if the numbers aren't even) but the rest of my friends who wouldn't be there wouldn't be involved.
  • How do you feel about not having your friends there? You can keep a larger wedding AND move the date up (it's a bit of work, but can definitely be done!).
  • My fiance and I have a rather large wedding planned for my grandfather's birthday in May of 2015. I have always wanted a small, simple wedding and always assumed he wanted something bigger. Somehow, our wedding turned into 250+ guests, etc. We both realized it isn't what we want. Instead, we would rather move the wedding date up. We have been together almost 9 years. We are ready. So my question(s) are: (1) How do I properly announce to my family that we have decided not to celebrate our day on my Grandfather's birthday and (2) How do we tell our wedding party that we have downsized and have decided on no bridesmaids/groomsmen (All bridesmaids have been formerly asked). Thank you! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! #inabind
    If you have sent out STDs, then you must send out cancellation notices.  You are cancelling your wedding.  "the wedding of Bride and Groom will not take place as previously announced."  No explanations.  If someone asks, you say that your plans are uncertain, and have changed.

Now you can plan your new wedding ceremony and reception.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards