Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Bridal shower theme?

So my mum and godmother are throwing me a bridal shower in the spring (yes, I know that's a way off), and we were having lunch yesterday when they asked if I wanted a theme... Is this typical? I just kind of wanted a traditional shower, with my close family and girlfriends and little finger sandwiches. Most importantly I want the hat made out of all the bows, I don't know if people still do that, but I've been looking forward to it since I was a little girl, it's just ridiculous and I love it..... So anyway.... Do people expect themes now? And if so, any ideas?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridal shower theme?

• Options
    You don't need any theme other than wedding. Spring, flowers maybe?
  • Options
    My mom threw my cousin a shower for her wedding about 4 years ago and the theme was an Alice in Wonderland tea party. It was very cute, and they did a good job keeping it grown up and not kids birthday party-esque. Mom collected old teacups and saucers from goodwill, thrift stores, etc., and we all sat at one long table and ate tea sandwiches, trifle, scones and Devonshire cream. For my shower in June, my aunt and cousin did an Epcot World Showcase theme, which mainly just meant we had food and drinks representing all the countries at Disney's Epcot. Yum!!! My MOH threw a couple's shower for us, and there was no theme. It was gorgeous-- in her backyard with lovely tables decorated in our wedding colors, amazing food, and delicious infused waters and sangria.
  • Options
    Themes are nice when they help with decor and guide gift selection.  For example, the invitation could say "put on your afternoon best, so we can have fun and help X and Y dress their nest".  Fortunately, I think lingerie themed showers have lost favor (really thought that was a waste anyway).  Both NYC and Alikat have suggested really great themes.
  • Options
    Other than "wedding", we incorporated the wedding colors into the shower for my daughter. For my DIL, in addition to colors, we incorporated, in a subtle way, her two favorite things, which are shoes and chocolate. In our family, we still make a rehearsal bouquet from the ribbons and bows removed from the wedding gifts. They are laced through a hole cut into a paper plate. It is a tradition that predates my own wedding, which was 36 years ago.
  • Options
    My shower theme was wine. There was a lot of it and I drank a good portion. It was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    I haven't been to a shower with a theme either. Recently I went to one decorated in the wedding colors, but that was it. I'm curious about the bow hat? I've only seen them make the ribbons into a bouquet for the rehearsal like PPs describe.
  • Options
    I had two showers - at the first one my best friend did a "kitchen" theme because she knows I love to cook.  The centerpieces were vases filled with colorful kitchen utensils, small bottles of dish soap with bride and groom "aprons", she asked everyone to bring a recipe and then started me a nice recipe box!  As favors (which are totally unnecessary!) she bought colorful dollar store dish towels and made aprons by sewing a wide ribbon onto the long side of the towel for straps!  I didn't know she was doing this, but she got TONS of compliments from my family and friends :)

The other one had no theme, but my FSIL's and their Aunts had some simple decorations in our wedding colors.  Both were totally different but wonderful!
  • Options

I cannot beleive this isn't something that regularly done!!!! This is just a google search, but my family has been doing it for years!!! its soooooo ridiculous.. but i love it.

These are all awesome suggestions, thank you so much!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Themes are nice when they help with decor and guide gift selection.  For example, the invitation could say "put on your afternoon best, so we can have fun and help X and Y dress their nest".  Fortunately, I think lingerie themed showers have lost favor (really thought that was a waste anyway).  Both NYC and Alikat have suggested really great themes.
    I'm having a lingerie shower because I've already got a house full of stuff and FH loves seksie time. So, totally not a waste. That's ensuring a long, happy marriage!
    Happiness is an inside job
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards