Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaid Dress Q...

I feel like as soon as "bridesmaid" is placed in front of the word dress... it ups the price by about $60-80. Does anyone have any recommendations of designers that have dresses in the low 100's. Other than David's Bridal and I think Alfred Angelo has some cheaper options? I'm not against the off the rack dresses from, say, Nordstrom's, etc. but it would be nice to have my bridesmaids order from a bridal salon that carries a cheaper designer as everyone is pretty spread out over the east coast/mid-west. Thanks for your help fellow brides!! xo

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Q...

• Seriously, I'm with you. Skip the wedding shops, so overpriced and completely unwearable after the fact. 

What are you wedding colors? Would you consider saying like 'knee length and navy' and going from there? I did this and it was one of the best wedding decisions I made. My BMs didn't match perfectly, but they looked gorgeous in their own styles and wearable dresses. Plus, I didn't have to worry about prices since they picked their own.

If you want matching, I always have people check out ModCloth.com. Fabulous styles and good prices.
  • I have considered the "pick your own" option but I'm still not 100% into it. I chose my own for a wedding and I found it to be really stressful on the one hand choosing the "right" peach; but on the other, I loved that I could find a dress for $30-50 if I wanted. I ended up picking one that I STILL wouldn't wear again (I don't love peach on myself) but at least I only spent 30 bucks. 

I also still want the bridal party to look like they stand out as the bridal party and it makes me a little nervous that they won't if given the option of choosing their own dresses. The girls standing for me will be in gray. I thought about perhaps sending them a paint swatch in the gray I'd like them to be in to take a bit of the stress off them/encourage them to be in the same family of grays...

Thanks for the ModCloth recommendation, I'll look into that!
  • All shades of gray would be gorgeous! They don't have to match perfectly. I can understand how peach would be hard. Could you go on ModCloth (or another site) and pick say 5 dresses and they choose from those? So you know no one is going crazy. Be sure to privately ask their budgets first, though. IMO, no one wants to spend more than like $125 on a dress they aren't choosing themselves. 

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    Try department stores. My bridesmaids got their dresses at Macy's for about $60.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Another vote for Macys.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Target has affordable bridesmaid dresses online, but I can't speak to the quality.

• My MOH got her dress from Macy's. She bought a Ralph Lauren dress, but they had a lot there to choose from.
  • For my best girlfriend's wedding you bought them from www.dazzlebride.com

The team is very helpful and the dress arrived in time. They answered a lot of questions I had about online wedding dresses. Very professional 
    @buttercup1958 vendor alert.

• Thank you for the suggestions, ladies!!!
  • msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2014
    Ours are from Nordstrom. The great thing about getting them there, is they go on sale occasionally and you can return them if they don't fit. Here's what my girls wore: BM dress 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I purchased my bridesmaids dresses at Dillards (dept store, but regional I think).  They were Calvin Klein and about $65.
  • lolo883   I don't see it anymore?
  • Target has affordable bridesmaid dresses online, but I can't speak to the quality.
    Someone bought a bunch of these dresses and returned them to my local target.  Grey and navy and a lime green color.  It was sort of fun to look through them, because they were so out of place among the other clearance merchandise.  I thought of you guys, and I thought "Gah, someone could get their dresses SO cheap right now".  Quality seemed ok.  They're bridesmaid dresses - who REALLY re-wears them? 
    My hairdresser and I were talking about Target bridesmaid dresses yesterday.  She was in a wedding party where the BMs got their dresses there.  She said the quality was what you'd expect for the price, but they looked great in the pictures.
  • I have a friend that used the target dresses.  They seemed comparable to Davids Bridal bridesmaids dresses in quality. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards