Oregon

Need some local help!

I'm an out of town bride and I could really use the help of ladies in the Portland area. We want to do our own flowers for our wedding. I found one U-Pick farm on Sauvie Island called Kruger's but they don't reply to emails or answer the phone. I've been trying to get in contact with them to find out what will be growing around the time of our wedding this June. I'm doing online research but I'm sure there are great places that just don't have an internet site. Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternate U-Pick farm or a wholesale market where you can buy flowers without being a vendor?
imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.

Re: Need some local help!

• edited December 2011
    June is going to be tough in terms of U-Picks.  It's all so weather dependent, and if we have a cool, wet May and June then there could be a delay in blooming times.  Kruger's really has no way of being able to tell you what would be blooming until about a week or so before your wedding (which may be why they haven't gotten back to you).  You're also going to be too early for dahlias from Swan Island Dahlias (my go-to destination for local flowers).

If you're up for just getting whatever you can find, you can hit up the various farmer's markets around town the week of your wedding and just pick from their selection.  Also, you can contact New Season's Markets or Trader Joe's and they could place an order for you using their local growers.

If you don't care about the flowers being local and just want wholesale pricing, three vendors that I use consistently and have been completetly satisfied with are The Floral Exchange, American Floral Distributors, and Fifty Flowers.  Keep in mind that if you're ordering for a Saturday wedding, you'll want the flowers delivered to you on a Wednesday in order to 1) give them time to re-hydrate, and 2) give yourself time for a back-up plan in case there is anything wrong with them.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    THANK YOU!!!
    imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second either trader joes or new seasons!  the TJ by me has AMAZING flowers all the time! 
  • belle182belle182 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a great time with New Seasons as my flower provider. Their florist is doing our bridesmaid bouquets for 1/10 of the price I was quoted elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards