Chit Chat

I can't even with the entitlement

JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2014 in Chit Chat
I've posted before about my FB friend, a law school acquaintance, who has self-created and promoted two GoFundMe's: first for an $800 surgery for her parents' cat with the implication that they would let the cat die if they did not raise the money, and second a moving fund for herself to move cross-country to start a new job as a lawyer.

Yesterday she posted she was in a bad bike accident with several broken bones and I do feel terrible for her.

Today she posts the following.  Seriously?  And if a few people mentioned they want to send you a care package, just send the info to those people.  No need to broadcast to your hundreds of Facebook friends.  Ugh.  And then to add books and DVDs onto it just puts it OTT for me.

I like her posts about current events and we have a lot of mutual friends, but I think I'll be hiding her from my news feed from now on.

-----------------------

I know most of you are far away, but if you would like to send me anything--cards, postcards--feel free to send things to: PO Box XXXXX.  If you're sending a package, you could send to: XXXXX. NOT a requirement, of course, but some mentioned sending things, so there you are.

Suggestions: food is tricky right now b/c I'm only doing soft foods (tea would work; I like white teas). So, entertainment and things to make my life easier is the best. Non-fun items but I absolutely need button-down shirts--hard to dress with much of anything else. Women's large, need not be fancy. Just need to look like a human not in pajamas for work. That deodorant with the little ball roller head so I could shove it under my slinged arm with less trouble. Those baby wipes, but for adults. And some kind of fiber supplement, liquid preferred (yay pain med. side effects). Okay, fun items: kindle books (Hitchhiker's series, any Game of Thrones after book 4, and Into Thin Air, whatever you think I'd like). I don't have Iron Man 3? Uuh, I also like stiff with turtles on them? And/or cats? Sorry, not a lot of options and it's hard to send ice cream.

(ETF typo)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: I can't even with the entitlement

• You know JC, she's done this fund me thing so many times now, I'm starting to wonder if any of these are true?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's getting out of hand.  

DH has a worker right now who is getting so bad people are avoiding him.  Even DH turned down an afternoon of golfing because he can't stand all the comments on what he believes DH (his boss) should be giving him.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • That is what your mom is for or your friends who care enough/are close enough to you to ask your mom what they can send you. NOT for you to beg on the Internet. At this point I wouldn't put it past her to start a GFM for her rent/utilities/food as well.
  • Wait are people legitimately giving her money?
    Oh yes.  Both of her previous GFMs were fully funded.  I think she comes from a family/ friends group who have the extra money and she grew up used to having things given to her.  And those people keep on giving.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• You know JC, she's done this fund me thing so many times now, I'm starting to wonder if any of these are true?
    She strikes me as entitled and naive but not a liar.  Judging from the huge comment strings, the cat was real.  And she definitely moved to CO.

What I doubt is that she literally has zero dollars for basic necessities.  I thinks she has enough to cover these expenses if she moved other funds around, but she doesn't want to spend her money on those things so she asks for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't know why so many people are finding it socially acceptable to panhandle via social media these days.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'll pitch in for a metal chicken!
    So I think I missed the boat on this one - I don't get the whole metal chicken thing.

I've read the blog about Beyonce, the Giant Metal Chicken - does it have to do with that? As in putting things into perspective? or something else???

Also - JC - this chick sounds so incredibly entitled. I can't handle it.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

•  
    LabLove86 said:
    I'll pitch in for a metal chicken!
    So I think I missed the boat on this one - I don't get the whole metal chicken thing.

I've read the blog about Beyonce, the Giant Metal Chicken - does it have to do with that? As in putting things into perspective? or something else???

Yes.  It just basically means when people are being entitled gimme pigs, give 'em a nice big Beyonce.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited September 2014
    How much deodorant does she need??? I mean, a stick of deodorant usually lasts me a long time. She can't go out and purchase that for herself?
  • How much deodorant does she need??? I mean, a stick of deodorant usually lasts me a long time. She can't go out and purchase that for herself?
    And apparently, as a new lawyer, she does not own button-down shirts?  Huh?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    How much deodorant does she need??? I mean, a stick of deodorant usually lasts me a long time. She can't go out and purchase that for herself?
    LOL - I was thinking the same thing.       How embarrassing to make a list of thing you want people to buy you?  Fiber supplements?  Really?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • She needs to go to fucking Costco and get one of the giant things of deodorant, and maybe some extra laxatives so she can blow that GFM out her ass.

Hell, we might as well all start posting up our weekly grocery lists and asking everyone to buy it all for us.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• lyndausvi said:

LOL - I was thinking the same thing.       How embarrassing to make a list of thing you want people to buy you?  Fiber supplements?  Really?

Girl, get your own damn Raisin Bran!
  •  
    LabLove86 said:
    I'll pitch in for a metal chicken!

Yes.  It just basically means when people are being entitled gimme pigs, give 'em a nice big Beyonce.
    Ok thanks!! Thats what I was thinking but didn't wanna assume, cause - ya know. 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• I have two Go Fund Mes on my feed right now.

One is for a 30 year old guy whose teeth are rotting away (genetic condition) who needs $700 to have the roots pulled and be fitted for dentures.

The other is a terminally ill cancer patient trying to leave enough money for his soon-to-be widow and toddler son to cover the hospice expenses without loosing their house.

That has what has set my bar. If your problem isn't on par with those, GTFO.
  • I have two Go Fund Mes on my feed right now.

One is for a 30 year old guy whose teeth are rotting away (genetic condition) who needs $700 to have the roots pulled and be fitted for dentures.

The other is a terminally ill cancer patient trying to leave enough money for his soon-to-be widow and toddler son to cover the hospice expenses without loosing their house.

That has what has set my bar. If your problem isn't on par with those, GTFO.
    @pinkrevenge

Yeah, I actually have root damage to all four of my front teeth and need implants for those.  $14,000 sometime within the next six months.  We are rethinking our entire wedding plan and budget to prioritize my health.

We lost almost everything in Sandy and never made a GFM nor asked for a cent from anyone.

I have sympathy for this girl.  It does sound like her bike accident was pretty bad.  But this is adult life.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would have more sympathy for her if she asked for help with medical bills if the condition was more serious (like terminal) and she didn't have a job that covered them. But nope, now I don't feel sorry for your broken bones and constipation.
  • Wow she seriously needs a little reality check. I hope nobody sends her anything other than like her parents or siblings. I'd understand if she had substantial medical bills but just for "fun", wow. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    You know individually helping out with a dying a cat or helping a friend who had an accident isn't all that bad.  I doubt I would contribute, but the are not completely horrible either.    The move one I find just tacky.

Collectively I fiind them distasteful.   

Where does it end? Some people like playing the victim. She is walking a fine between being an unlucky person and liking the attention and money she get from gofundme.com

• Because all 500 of your facebook friends are at the edge of their swivel chairs, dying to know where to mail your favorite tea and fiber supplements.

>>eyeroll<<
  • If I was a few hundies short of being able to afford an operation for my cat, it would be going on the credit card without hesitation.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• FI crashed his bike recently. Maybe we should set up a GFM to cover the surgery he now needs on his shoulder... plus the repairs to the handlebars, a new helmet, the 2453459 band-aids he went through, and all the baby carrots he ate while sitting on the couch pouting.

• beethery said:
    If I was a few hundies short of being able to afford an operation for my cat, it would be going on the credit card without hesitation.
    Yeah.  What rubbed me the worst about that one was that they stated in the GFM that without the GFM money, the cat would not get the operation and would certainly die.  I mean really.... you will let your cat die over $800?  Unless someone else pays for it, which of course is totally okay.  That made me really angry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    FI crashed his bike recently. Maybe we should set up a GFM to cover the surgery he now needs on his shoulder... plus the repairs to the handlebars, a new helmet, the 2453459 band-aids he went through, and all the baby carrots he ate while sitting on the couch pouting.
    I think I should start a GFM for my teeth.  Think I can raise $14,000?  I mean, it's not like I totally don't have it at all, I just want that money for the wedding of my DREAMS!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• beethery said:
    If I was a few hundies short of being able to afford an operation for my cat, it would be going on the credit card without hesitation.
    you are under the assumption she has credit to use.  Some how I doubt someone who has asked for donations 3 times with a year or 2 has that option. 

Could be wrong, but it's just my gut feeling.  

• I've had SO many people offer to help me in any way they could over the last few months. And guess what? I didn't have to post a GFM to get the help AND I didn't take anyone up on their offers other than my immediate family. 

• I don't get it.  She broke a few bones but is capable of using the computer.  Why can't she online shop for what she needs instead of asking for handouts. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I've had SO many people offer to help me in any way they could over the last few months. And guess what? I didn't have to post a GFM to get the help AND I didn't take anyone up on their offers other than my immediate family. 
    That is because you are a classy lady.

Well, thank you.

I should also add that the help I accepted from my family was NOT financial. It was in the form of baked goods. How could I pass up cake?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards