Wedding Party
Options

Alternative Bridesmaid Bouquets

We're having a winter wedding and I don't really want to invest in flowers for the BM's to carry. I'm carrying a brooch bouquet and I know I could make smaller brooch bouquets for the BM's, but I can't settle on a color (they're mismatched metallic colored dresses), not to mention the extra work involved. 

My fiance hated the idea of them carrying candles down the aisle. Do they have to carry anything? Are there any other classy alternatives to flowers (ie. not a balloon). 

Re: Alternative Bridesmaid Bouquets

• Options
    No, they don't have to carry anything. You could do feathers.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Small lanterns, candles like they use at Christmas services, feathers,

Anniversary
  • Options
    Agreed. They don't need to carry anything. Although, if you want flowers but not a lot of flowers, they could do a single stem of something like a rose or a lily. You could also do sprigs of evergreen. If there is something you think you'd like bridesmaids to carry, you could check for pictures/ideas on Pinterest or a Google search.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I found single roses in a little baby's breath to be inexpensive. Other than that, I saw one winter wedding where the BMs just wore those white faux fur hand muffs...not sure if you're into that, though.
  • Options
    What about all baby's breath?  It's cheap and readily available at any florist shop.

This link has a bunch of alternatives (ignore the burlap one) - including one with all baby's breath and one with pine cones and evergreen (also plentiful in the winter).

http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2014/06/33-alternative-bouquet-ideas-for-non-traditional-brides/

This one has a pine cone bouquet.
    http://www.bridebox.com/blog/wedding-bouquet-alternatives/
  • Options
    @Jacques27 - I love, love, love baby's breath bouquets.  They are romantic, photograph like a dream, and a way inexpensive.  Each bunch can be wrapped in ribbon to coordinate with the colors of the bridesmaid gowns.  I am pretty sure Pinterest has a good selection of options.
  • Options

For what it's worth, I once carried a vintage fan instead of flowers, which was pretty cool. I'm not sure that's very wintery or works with any of your other decor.

My mom is huge into crafts and Pinned only about a million alternative bouquets.  I second the advice to go to Pinterest. Be careful of Etsy though, as it can get very expensive for something you could create yourself. 

On Four Weddings recently (I know, I know!) I saw a winter bride have her bridesmaids carry white tulle creations with plain Christmas ornaments interspersed. Not quite my style but creative!  

• Options
    I made a crystal bouquet for myself... and my bridesmaids will have babys breath bouquets. I have seen it spray painted silver or gold and it looks beautiful too. It could lend itself to your bouquet that way.
  • Options
    there is a picture of how it looks spray painted.
  • Options
    My first thought was succulents, but I'm honestly not sure how that would work. The baby's breath bouquets sound GORGEOUS.
  • Options
    They really don't have to carry anything… but if you would prefer that they do hold something, you could always do something REALLY simple like the attached photo. 
  • Options
    jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014
    They really don't have to carry anything… but if you would prefer that they do hold something, you could always do something REALLY simple like the attached photo. 

I have never been in a wedding where I didn't have a bouquet, but I have had friends who were and they freaked out about it and said they felt super awkward about what to do with their hands and arms while walking down the aisle and standing up there in front of everyone. I would probably totally do the same because I'm neurotic like that.
  • Options
    jenijoyk said:

I have never been in a wedding where I didn't have a bouquet, but I have had friends who were and they freaked out about it and said they felt super awkward about what to do with their hands and arms while walking down the aisle and standing up there in front of everyone. I would probably totally do the same because I'm neurotic like that.
    I was a groomswoman, so I had a corsage rather than a bouquet.  I just stood up there with the guys and my arms down by my sides.  I'd never been a bridesmaid, so I didn't know any better than to feel awkward.  My sister, however, didn't know what to do with herself without a bouquet.  She has this system where she wraps a tissue around her finger, then hides her finger by holding the bouquet so she has a ready tissue should she need to wipe a happy tear.  She was completely thrown off.
  • Options
    My BMs did baskets with apples and pine cones.(though my son started eating one of the apples during the ceremony, LOL)
  • Options
    It won't fly with everyone here, but my great aunt did fur muffs a zillion years ago.  I love fur, so I love seeing the old photos.  If I'd gotten married at Christmas, I'd totally have gotten fur muffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards