Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Maid and MIL stress

Okay I'm having several problems with my maids.

1. They're scattered all over. I'm in Georgia I have one here, 1 in OK, 1 in AR and 1 in so cal and my matron of honor in nor cal. I have two that said yes to being a maid but haven't really spoken to me since even though I set up a facebook page just for the maids and me. 1 of those maids said she couldn't get me an answer right away because of money but I asked her in April and now its September and shes telling me she'll have an answer for me after the holidays when my wedding is in May.
How do I politely tell these maids that I need to know if they are serious about being a maid or if they'd rather just be invited to the wedding? They all were given notice about what I expected of them from day 1.

2. My matron of honor is my sister who hasn't participated in planning or anything. I keep calling her and she never returns my calls or texts. I called her on it before and she just says shes too busy to talk to me and then says that if I want a different MOH to just tell her but I don't want to open up that can of worms with my family.
Is it okay for me to promote a maid to my maid of honor and just have two?

3. My MIL hates me. I mean really really hates me. She has called me every name in the book to my fiance for the past 10 years and repeatedly told him to break up with me to the point that she cut him off financially when he wouldn't. She now says that she is not coming to the wedding and that she will never stay in our new house because I live here. I have never ever even looked cross eyed at this woman so she has no real reason to hate me. My father in law says I need to be careful with her because she's f$%#^ psycho. 
Is it okay for me to not invite her to the shower even though I'm inviting her whole family to it? and
How do I keep the way I now feel about her from ruining my relationship with my fiance? She keeps buying him and our dogs stuff and very pointedly leaves me out in cards or gifts. I feel like if he cut off a relationship from  her she would see that her actions have consequences instead of being able to speak like that about me all the time and tell him not to marry me and still have a relationship with her son. I don't want to get between them but I also don't enjoy knowing how she thinks of me and talks about me and not having my fiance take a stand against it and show her that that is not acceptable.

Re: Maid and MIL stress

• Options
    1) Stop calling your bridesmaids "maids." I know you're probably just using short hand but I think it gives off the wrong impression. 
    2) You should have NO other 'expectations than showing up in a dress. So letting you know in January might be ideal, but as long as she can get a dress (which clearly should be off the rack if she's having financial issues). 
    3) My H wouldn't be my H anymore if he allowed anyone, especially a family member to speak to me that way. She only does it because he allows it. 
  • Options
    Lower your expectations of your BMs.  You will be much better off and will not be disappointed in them.  Remember repeatedly all they need to do is show up in the dress.  And getting a dress in January for a May wedding is no big deal.  So stop bothering the BMs who aren't sure about being BM due to money.  Let the holidays pass first.  And remember no one will be as excited for your wedding as you and FI are, so stop close the fb group and stop hounding your friends.

As for your FMIL, invite her to the shower.  She will not do anything to you in front of a room full of witnesses.  And her not getting an invitation will only fuel her fire and spread things about you to the family.  

But the biggest issue in your post is why does your FI allow his mother to talk to you or about you the way that she does.  You are going to be FI's family now and he needs to start standing up for you.  If you are in premarital counseling, this would be a great place to bring it up.  Your FMIL won't suddenly change because you are married.
  • Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    PP gave great advice. I agree with it all. 

I want to reiterate and add a caveat to what @oliveoilsmom said: I would suggest that you encourage the host of your shower to Invite your FMIL. Do not be the bad guy, or give her anything that could help make you seem as if you are. Make her the bad guy. Be as sweet and polite to her as possible. It stinks, but that's how you win the war. 

HOWEVER, who is throwing you the shower (hint, it should not be you)? Because, ultimately, it is up to that person. If it is, say, your sister, and your sister HATES your FMIL, you can't force her to invite her. But still, encourage her to be invited, and tell your Fiance that you would like his mother to come. 

• Options
    Everything PPs said.  Lower your BM expectations-- it's not their job to plan your wedding or throw parties.  Fi needs to stand up for you.  And the host of your shower (not you) should be encouraged to invite FMIL.  You don't need to throw fuel on that fire.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Okay I'm having several problems with my maids.

3. My MIL hates me. I mean really really hates me. She has called me every name in the book to my fiance for the past 10 years and repeatedly told him to break up with me to the point that she cut him off financially when he wouldn't. She now says that she is not coming to the wedding and that she will never stay in our new house because I live here. I have never ever even looked cross eyed at this woman so she has no real reason to hate me. My father in law says I need to be careful with her because she's f$%#^ psycho. 
    When my bff's mom found out that she was having sex with her FI (FYI, bff was out on her own) she threatened not to come to the shower and wedding.  She also threatened to disown the other two if they went to and/or participate in the wedding.  Brother stayed away since he was a drug addict but the sister ignored the demand.

When my bff had her first child, it just happened to be on the same day as her mom's birthday.  Three days later there was a bouquet of flowers for the baby and nothing else was ever said.
  • Options
    1) Stop calling your bridesmaids "maids." I know you're probably just using short hand but I think it gives off the wrong impression. 
    2) You should have NO other 'expectations than showing up in a dress. So letting you know in January might be ideal, but as long as she can get a dress (which clearly should be off the rack if she's having financial issues). 
    3) My H wouldn't be my H anymore if he allowed anyone, especially a family member to speak to me that way. She only does it because he allows it. 
    This.  It drives me pyscho. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards