Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Colored Crinoline help!!

HI!! I want to do a colored crinoline with my dress... but I have a couple questions from people who have done it! 1. Will it look good with my dress?? It is attached below except mine is in silk not taffetta. 2. My wedding colors are purple, teal, and navy blue so I would like to make a layer of each color. How would I do this?? Thanks!!!

Re: Colored Crinoline help!!

• Options
    I haven't done this, but I would definitely stick away from the 3 colored layers. Tulle is so sheer, all the colors will just blend together. Pick one and run with it. 

@InkDancer has a blue crinoline.

• Options
    I think with that dress, there will be a lot going on and I wouldn't love it. That being said, if you want I do it, I agree with Lolo.
  • Options
    I can't see your attachment so I can't say if it would match your dress. However I can tell you that it would be best to do only one color. Tulle does not take dye well, and so the colors will mix together if you try to do layers, unless you want to do about 12 layers of tulle in each color.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    I think it will look great, but I agree with PPs who say to pick one color and stick with it. 

I'm not sure where you can buy a full length crinoline of good quality, but I know the Dolly Corture makes lovely colored crinolines in two styles (clicky).  They also take custom orders, so it might be worthwhile getting in touch with them.  
  • Options
    emanon321emanon321 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2014

I agree with PP, stay away from 3 different colored layers. (Although multiple colors is certainly possible

http://www.malcomodes.biz/petticoats-pettiskirts-Savannah-p/885.htm,

this just isn't the shape/material you're looking for)

Unfortunately, I don't think you can buy a full length crinoline online for that dress. In my experience, most colorful crinolines are made for tea length dresses and/or start the poofing out at the waist. (could be wrong) Since your dress is so form fitting down below the hips, I would think you would talk to a seamstress about replacing the built in tulle (assuming it comes with built in tulle) with colored tulle.

Although, for such a long, elaborate dress, I personally feel it wouldn't be worth the hassle. But if you want it, go for it! Before I got my current dress I was looking into color crinolines too. So I know the feeling. ^_^

Edit: TK ate paragraphs

• Options
    Thanks everyone!! I think I will stick with one color.. now I just need to figure out which one lol
  • Options
    TBH, that gown is really fancy and has a lot going on already, so I wouldn't do the coloured petticoat/crinoline underneath it.  But, if you do, below are some pictures of brides doing it different ways to help you pick colour(s).
    One colour:
    The different colours layered:
    Very light different colours:
    One colour crinoline with antoher coloured ribbon along the edge:
    24a
    Different colours just along the edge where it would be visible:
    This couple is so cute! Multi-colored crinoline & vintage dresses, oh my! | Offbeat Bride
  • Options
    Thanks!!! I think I will stick with one color and will probably make it light and very subtle so it doesnt take away from the dress :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards