Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Do I Need A Receiving Line?

I just read another post about receiving lines, which is something I never thought of!!! Has anyone not had a receiving line at their wedding? Is it a necessity? I only ask because I am having a small wedding 60 people, in a fancy restaurant, there is no aisle, nor any real place to have a receiving line. Can I skip this and just do the table to table greeting at the reception?

Just so you know the ceremony and reception is in the same location, cocktail hour is being held in the lounge of the restaurant and we are taking pictures during cocktail hour.

Re: Do I Need A Receiving Line?

• You can abslutely skip the receiving line and do table visits instead. As long as you greet everyone and thank them, you're all good. 
  • You don't need a receiving line, but if you don't have one, you should go around the table at your reception and physically greet and thank each guest.
    *********************************************************************************

• It's generally one or the other- table visits or receiving line, so you're fine as long as you make the sincere effort to see everyone at their tables. 
  • The only thing that is necessary is that you personally greet and thank each guest for coming. Receiving lines are generally the most efficient way to accomplish this at a large wedding (we had at least 200 guests, so I don't think we could have spoken to everyone otherwise) but in your case, with only 60 I think it's entirely reasonable to get to all of them at the reception.
  • It's SO MUCH EASIER than trying to get to everyone's table.  People are only at their tables during dinner, and you'll probably want to eat.  By the time dinner is done, people are dancing and mingling, so you are bound to miss people.  It took us 10 minutes with 120 guests- out of the 5.5 hour wedding it was basically no time and it did the job.
  • The only thing that is necessary is that you personally greet and thank each guest for coming. Receiving lines are generally the most efficient way to accomplish this at a large wedding...

Skip the receiving line! I do not enjoy going through a receiving line and I absolutely agree it's simply important to greet and thank each guest. In fact, I think doing so directly is so much more personal.
  • The only thing that is necessary is that you personally greet and thank each guest for coming. Receiving lines are generally the most efficient way to accomplish this at a large wedding...

Skip the receiving line! I do not enjoy going through a receiving line and I absolutely agree it's simply important to greet and thank each guest. In fact, I think doing so directly is so much more personal.
    You ARE greeting the bride and groom AND the hosts personally and directly in the receiving line!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards