Wedding Reception Forum

Private Caterer vs. In-House Caterer

I'm looking at four different venues for my location. My fiance and I have very particular needs when it comes to the caterer. We want passed appetizers, plated dinner and a hosted bar. The bar is the issue. The "standard" fare offered with the in-house caterers are not up to par and it will cost and arm and a leg to get what we want on the menu. However, with a private caterer, allowed at two of the locations, will allow us to purchase our alcohol and have their licensed people serve it, which is awesome because we can buy it at shelf price. However, this brings up quality. Will a private caterer be able to compare to an in-house caterer when it comes to the food?

What are the ups and downs to a private caterer vs. an in-house caterer?

Re: Private Caterer vs. In-House Caterer

• That's pretty subjective. Have you asked any of the private caterers if they're willing to do a tasting? With in-house caterers, you can go to the club/restaurant and sample their food, so it's common for private caterers to offer a tasting, since they aren't "based" anywhere. Sometimes there's a fee, like $20 for two people, but since it's basically a meal, I didn't mind paying it.
  • I'm using a private caterer and was able to have a nice tasting. The food was delicious and in my opinion better than I could have found at a standard wedding venue.
  • I am in the catering industry and I may be biased.  However, sometimes you get even BETTER food when you work with an outside caterer.  Many venues with in-house catering get complacent with their menu, styling, etc. because they turn out so many weddings each month/year.  This is good for experience's sake but it is not always good for you if you want to have a specific say in your menu/package.  When it comes to hiring an outside caterer, however, keep these things in mind:

1. Does the venue allow outside caterers?
    2. If so, do they provide a list of preferred caterers that have worked in the venue before?
    3. Before booking a caterer, make sure they are properly licensed and insured.  Most venues require a Certificate of Liability Insurance before the caterer sets foot in their building.  This is beneficial for you as well because it protects you and your guests, especially if alcohol is being served.
    4. Does the venue charge a kitchen fee?  Trash removal fee?  If so, be careful because most caterers will pass this directly along to the client.  (This is almost always on top of your venue price!)
    5. Don't be shy when speaking to the caterer.  Ask if they have any experience with the venue.  Ask for references.  If they have not worked in the space, see if they are willing to do a walk-through with you and the venue manager to go over specifics.
    6. Hire a full-service caterer that offers services other than the food.  For example, my company works closely with our brides.  So much so, we are almost a wedding planner!  Hire someone who takes interest in YOU personally.  Someone who is willing to customize a menu, timeline, etc.  Someone who can offer additional professional vendor referrals, etc.  You will have a much more pleasant experience!
    7.  Ask how the caterer will prepare your food the day of your wedding.  For example, will they use the venue's kitchen space?  Will they bring the food in cambro (hot) boxes and simply reheat the food in ovens or in chafing dishes?  If so, create a menu that holds up well and can travel.
    8.  Lastly, hire a caterer that is within an hour of you/your venue.  This will make tastings, site visits, meetings, etc. much easier to coordinate.  Also, you do not want your food traveling much further than that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards