Oregon

newly enaged, looking for a Portland venue

Hi, all!We've set our date for 10/23/10, and we're looking for someplace in town (we live in NE) to accomodate 150-200 guests.  Just from my internet research, I'm liking the look of the Chelsea Ballroom and the Melody Ballroom.  Does anyone have any feedback about those, or advice for someplace else to check out?  I like the vintage look that the ballrooms offer, and our budget is $2-3k for the space.  I've done about all that I can with my web browser--any experts here have something to share? :)Thanks in advance!

Re: newly enaged, looking for a Portland venue

• rosechildrosechild member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're looking for an outdoor venue, Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden is BEAUTIFUL! The site coordinator is great too. However, I don't know how the weather will be that time of year....it's getting kinda of late. Good luck and congrats!! Engagement goes quickly.....enjoy and don't plan too much.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know those venues off the top of my head, but if you're looking for other suggestions off the top of my head I'd also check out the Portland Art Museum and the Oregon Historical Society. If you want something less traditional I'd try Holocene. There's other websites that have reviews on them, try googling a bit and see what you can come up with. You could also dig up the ancient OregonVendorReview bio.

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • anvloveskmeanvloveskme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at The Crown Ballroom - it is downtown on 9th & Yamhill on the top floor in the historic Pythian Building.  The Adrianna Hill Grand Ballroom is also in the same building on the 3rd floor.  I think both could accomodate that size and are in that price range depending on day of week and other things you need to be included in your wedding/reception.  We paid $2500 for the Crown on a Friday night, but I think a Saturday is $4000.  I don't really have to rent anything and that includes rehearsal and day of coordination from the owner.  Our wedding is September 4th, so we will have some pics to post, but they have a lot on their website.  You should take a look.;o) Amy
  • edited December 2011
    I attended a wedding at the Adrianna Hill recently, and it was a fairly nice space.  Smaller than I had anticipated, but it seemed to hold everything pretty well.  They had a very quick and seamless turnover from ceremony to reception that I was impressed with.  However, I was not impressed at seeing the bar staff eat directly from the candy buffet.
  • rosechildrosechild member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking for an outdoor venue, we are getting married at Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden in Portland next month. The site coordinator is very helpful, and the venue is BEAUTIFUL! We are having around 60 guests, but it holds up to 150 or something. And I disagree with a previous post, you do not need a wedding planner/coordinator. Save the expense and use the internet. I too am planning from afar, and while it's been more legwork, to me it's worth the savings. Happy planning!!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, all!  I'm actually planning from here in Portland, but I thought I'd mine some of the expertise here for the skinny on some of these places.  We've got a large-ish wedding planned (200+), and it'll be in October, so I don't trust the weather to be kind. ;)  I'll take the advice from here and hit the streets to check these places out.  If I find out anything good, I'll let you know.Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Ooooh- I forgot I also saw a wedding at the Melody Ballroom.  Nice, big space with a large stage (center stairs were verrrrry steep, but I'm not sure if they were added by the venue or the bride).  The overhead lighting felt a little harsh to me, but I was only there during the set-up phase so maybe they can dim it when event time rolls around? Happy hunting!
  • ellenlinusellenlinus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at any of the Mcmenamins locations?  Their venue spaces are free as long as you met their food/drink requirement minimums.  They have both indoor and outdoor areas which can be used for both the ceremony and reception.
  • buffeeannbuffeeann newb
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our reception at the Adrianna Hill Grand Ballroom.  It was WONDERFUL!  The staff was wonderful, the food was delicious, and after extensive research, I found them to be the most reasonable.  I looked at quite a few venues in Portland, and I was most happy with the one we selected!  If you want any more info, please feel free to contact me!!
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married at McMenamins Grand Lodge next year and for a Sunday it is a $2200 minimum and you don't have to rent anything. Most of their menu options are reasonably priced too. Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards